Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > battery drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

tiggybelle

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Bonatti Grey
battery drain

Sad

Hi all.... im lost and not sure what to do.... i have a problem with my battery draining if not used for a couple of days... started when i had it serviced went to pick up and the car wouldnt start the guy who did the service said i needed a new battery but i thought thats a bit strange it was ok yesterday!! anywhooo a few jumpstarts and days later the car was totally flat and i had to have land rover assistance out as i couldnt even pop the door open on the passanger side it had totally locked out Sad sooo a new battery later and i thought the problem was solve but hey a few days later same problem again... now i did have rf transmitter for my central heating thermostat that was on the same frequency so i thought it may be that waking up the car so i popped the batteries out but the same thing is still happening .. i have charged the battery as i know the alternator wont recharge it ( i think Embarassed ) but it still keeps going flat. i have just sat in the car to see if anything stays on and the clock and sat nave screen stays on for about ten minutes when key out and the same when locked but i think this is normal... any ideas as range rover just seem to want to fob me off (we havent got on since i got nasty about the clunking it used to make when i went round a corner that they said was normal for the car!!!)

im losing patience as now i have had to have a new passenger door lock fitted too as that stopped working after the battery change (could that be linked??!!) sorry if i sound a bit blonde Rolling Eyes

Post #272295 Tue Jul 27 2010 12:16pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Did you read THIS? Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #272301 Tue Jul 27 2010 12:52pm
tiggybelle

yep checked the VIN and not within that catagory... just seems strange that i have only hade problems since the service... i had had some low battery sort of problems before once when driving all lights went out and all the interior equipment switched off eg cd and sat nave screen and dash lights ... stopped and restarted and was fine but range rover did a check and just said ooh it can happen... doesnt really make me feel confident about anything so i thought id have a browse here Smile

Post #272303 Tue Jul 27 2010 1:14pm
alfacat

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
battery drain

hi
not sure if this will hep,but ive had a drain on mine as well called the aa out twice to jump
start me after i had not use the beast for 24hrs,now after that i noticed that the tailgate
would not open,searched for any hints and it seems there is a known problem with the boot
latch corrodeing and remaining live so draining the battery,so try your upper boot release if
its not working that may be it,worth a try.

Post #272305 Tue Jul 27 2010 2:23pm
tiggybelle

Ooh that is on my list of things to try as I'd seen it mentioned on another site and my tailgate had been sticking Smile how do I check for corrosion though (doh) the tailgate doesn't always stick though... It's driving me mad I love the car but it's such a pain Sad

Post #272310 Tue Jul 27 2010 3:00pm
alfacat

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
battery drain

hi,
i must admit its still early days for me too,regarding the tailgat problem,ive read that it
is possible to remove the rubber suround around the upper boot switch,there people have
noticed water drain out, seems some design fault.from there it may be possible to look at the
switch for corrosion,as i say i still need to try this out for myself as yet.

Post #272314 Tue Jul 27 2010 3:13pm
tiggybelle

Right when the rain has stopped I'll go and have a look Smile any more suggestions from anyone are welcome Smile

Post #272318 Tue Jul 27 2010 3:35pm
tiggybelle

Right guess what?!!! Just popped out to check tailgate and battery is so flat it won't even let me open the side door manually after popping the keyhole cover off!!!! So can't even open bonnet to jumpstart it!!! Looks like another call out and that's going to cost again Sad I'm lost as to what to do

Post #272325 Tue Jul 27 2010 4:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Get an auto electrician (mainly because I don't know where it is but Bobby might!) and check the car's earthing/ grounding, somebody reported this to be a cause of their battery maladies earlier this year IIRC 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #272331 Tue Jul 27 2010 4:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tiggybelle

im crying now!!!!! Big Cry just spoke to land rover re the lock out and the land rover assist guy has said that a range rover sport when the battery is flat goes into a deadlock mode so it cant be manually unlocked??!!!!! but the land rover dealership technicians have said that it should manually unlock as it is purely mecanical and not dictated by the battery strengh... only had a new lock fitted yesterday as it had broke i was told this happens alot too probably because i have to use it so blinkin much to jump start it !!!! so whos right does anyone know ...

Post #272337 Tue Jul 27 2010 5:26pm
baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

hi m8 i had the same problem with the battery took me 3 weeks of testing to find it was the upper tailgate switch take the rubber seal off the switch if the switch is corroded inside that is your problem Thumbs Up

Post #272447 Wed Jul 28 2010 7:46pm
tiggybelle

Hi:) thanks for that I'm going to get a man to have a look tomorrow had land rover assistance put as I couldn't get in the car because app the manual lock does deadlock when battery flat!!!! Anyway I asked him about the seal and he said it would flash on dash tailgate open if there was a problem but I did find out that the upper tailgate is stuck shut!!! Havent used it for a while oops Sad so it is looking like this could be the problem but he didn't know how to check it !!! And I have noooo idea so getting a guy tomorrow to look for me Smile I will keep you informed Smile

Post #272458 Wed Jul 28 2010 9:57pm
baxc

mine didnt say tailgate open because the part had corroded it stops the tailgate from opening but when you take the rubber seal of the catch you can simply push the switch in with a pin and it will open you also dont need to get in the car to do this let us know how you get on today m8 Thumbs Up

Post #272467 Thu Jul 29 2010 6:59am
tiggybelle

heya! well the man peeled of the rubber seal and the switch came out as powder!!!! having it replaced today so we will se if that has been the problem it looks highly likely!! im just so blimmin annoyed that it was me that had to spend ages trying to find the problem and when i did mention that it could be the switch they still didnt look untill i sent all the replies on here to them telling them how to do it !!!! ooh men Wink anywhooo i will keep you informed thank you so much for all your help Very Happy hopefully i will fall back in love with my beast again now though he did start clunking again yesterday when i was going round islands!!

Post #272563 Fri Jul 30 2010 9:40am
baxc

glad you sorted it took me 3 weeks of searching and testing plus new battery to find the problem Thumbs Up

Post #272575 Fri Jul 30 2010 11:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>