RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > First Service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

KenD

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zambezi Silver
First Service

Just had my 2015 RRS 3 ltr HSE serviced for the first time and at the same time had the tank slosh mod done by Grange Motors of Barnet.

Seemed OK when I picked it up, but driving back home I could smell a faint wiff of diesel in the cab, on getting home I found that the fuel filler cap hadn't been closed properly thus the filling compartment with diesel, cleaned it up thinking this was the problem. but no, still had a smell the next day, but coming from under the rear off side seat and I also noticed a wet patch of diesel under the off side tank. I contacted the service department and they called Land Rover Assist, as I couln't get the vehicle to them to check if there was a leak. The RRA guy was very helpful and said to check it properly he would have had to remove the rear seat but said, it was proably over spill when they were doing the mod. He mopped up a very small amount of diesel around the rubber sealing cap under the seat and suggested that I soak some tissues in Fabreze and place them under the seat and that should take the smell away, which I've done and it has, but I still get a wiff of diesel from under the car when I approach it which I'm not happy with and will arrange to get the srevice agent to check it over.

After this shoddy workmanship my concern now is did they do and oil and filter change as the bolts on the engine underpan don't look as though they've been removed. Can anybody advse me on how I can check without removing the underpan?

Post #493830 Mon Apr 18 2016 7:15pm
lrdaft

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

There is no sump plug!
Oil is sucked out through tube in engine bay , will just need to trust dealer Shocked

Post #493832 Mon Apr 18 2016 7:24pm
KenD

Thanks Irdaft, what about the filter, where is that located?

Post #493859 Mon Apr 18 2016 8:37pm
lrdaft

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Middle of v under the engine cover
It's just a paper element so can't tell if it's changed or not
Pollen filter is behind glovebox ,put into recirculate and switch off heater to gain access to remove filter to check if you really don't trust them

Post #493868 Mon Apr 18 2016 8:55pm
KenD

Thanks again Irdaft you've been very helpful. Ok, they can drain the oil via a tube in the engine bay and filter again can be changed from above, why then would they charge me or a new sump plug without taking the underpan off ? I'm blowed if I can see how.

Post #493915 Tue Apr 19 2016 9:46am
BigBen

United Kingdom 

Had similar fuel leak when my tank had the baffle plates fitted. It was caused by mechanic failing to refit the overflow pipe which allowed diesel to spill out from top of tank. So it only happened if tank was fairly full and vehicle was moving so sloshing the fuel about.

Post #493921 Tue Apr 19 2016 10:44am
KenD

That sounds very much like my problem, anyway I 've had a word with the Service Manager and he's arranging to check it over. Will let yo know what the out come is. Thanks Bigben.

Post #493966 Tue Apr 19 2016 6:23pm
KenD

Finally got the RRS back late yesterday. Seems to be OK, but haven't filled it up and given it a good run yet. I was informed that the diesel leak was caused by over spill when fitting the anti slosh mod. They recon that the tank has a double layer and some diesel was trapped in between and slowly seeping out. Is the tank double layered or do they mean the lower protecting sheild below the tank? as it was late when I picked it up nobody could give me a satisfactory answer.
This whole episode has been a total disaster from start to, hopefully finish, very very poor communication and sloppy workmanship. Grange Motors has now lost a customer.

Post #494626 Wed Apr 27 2016 10:39pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Workshop manual gives both options to drain the oil, via sump plug and through the Vac tube. Also it says that spilling of some oil is unavoidable with vacuum method so you should be able to see some oil spill. Also I would take a photo of the oil level to compare after the service.

Post #494677 Thu Apr 28 2016 2:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1