RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > One Month In
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

timber__wolf

United Kingdom 
One Month In

So, now that my AdBlue sensor issue is out of the way (hopefully), I thought I'd share my views of my first month with the car, that aside!

Overall - This is my first LR vehicle and is by far the nicest car I've ever had (I came from a Touareg which I actually liked generally). The Touareg did, however, have the DSG gearbox which, whilst I liked it in the Scirocco I had ages ago, was rubbish in the TReg I found. Pulling away from standstill on an incline (which I have to do every time we go to our house) it used to really moan and groan about pulling away, something that the RRS just purrs away from.

Regrets - I have no idea how I managed to miss ticking the box for the privacy glass and didn't click the fact all the way through to delivery but that's what I managed to do. I've been beating myself up about it since the car arrived but as I have now taken time to establish that I seem to be the only RRS on the road without it, that makes me unique doesn't it??! Laughing Meh... I also decided against the heated steering wheel which I wish I had gone for now.

Good Bits - I think I'm in love with the adaptive cruise...have never had it before and I think it's fantastic, slowing right down to a stop is just like magic lol. You do have to get used to it a bit as it can be a bit 'aggressive' accelerating if you're a way below the set speed behind someone and they move out of the way. Likewise if someone suddenly moves in ahead of you it can brake a little bit hard. The ride is by far the best I've encountered and I think that it handles way better than a car of its size has any right to do. Compared to the TReg, the body roll is so well under control that it just asks to be pushed, which is great. Oh to have a 5l under the bonnet! Must say that I seem to have been lucky on things such as seat build quality, which seems to be fine. I can't hear any tank slosh that others refer to and my front parking sensors also work without having to be activated. I love the panoramic sunroof...I went for the non-opening as the last one I had got opened all of about 4 times in 2 years. The other half loves the TV and dual view...now watches it pretty much all the time when in the car. Seems to work well with the usual digital drop-outs that you get in awkward places as expected (although note that point later about the screen). And as for the Meridian system...worth every penny Very Happy

Minor Irritations - The obvious one has to be the sat nav. Whilst the system generally isn't as laggy as the TReg was (if you can believe that) the sat nav display is just woeful...10 years out of date and easily the worst system I've had in a car in all that time. I just cannot understand why they've left it so long to update it...hopefully the new upgrade (whenever it comes out) is a lot better. I've not seen the one on the new Jags but presume it'll be similar.The voice control also needs a revamp...unless I've missed it there is no option to use short commands like 'Call Fred'...you have to do the whole 'phone>call contact..' etc. route for everything. Next is the ambient lighting...I went for the configurable version and am very disappointed to see that the only bit that is actually coloured is the central console area...my experience of other vehicles has been that the colouring extends to the door lights etc. so not overly impressed at the cost for a couple of bulbs! Another thing that I'm not keen on is the lack of ability to better control what is displayed in the centre of the dashboard in normal driving...something that I had on the last car. That's probably about it but they are only irritations rather than anything else.

Last thing which is more of an observation/warning...having been in a courtesy car for the last couple of days, it's been interesting to note the centre screen resolution difference between the two. My dual view screen has a noticeably lower resolution than the courtesy car without it. I'm no techy but the pixel arrangement that allows the dual view to exist presumably halves the pixel density in each direction? Or something like that. Anyway, if you like your screen to be nice and sharp then I'd stay away from dual view, unless they improve it on the revised version somehow.

In summary, I'm extremely happy with the thing and now just need to concentrate on getting enough cash together so that the next one is an SVR Mr. Green

Post #494479 Tue Apr 26 2016 3:56pm
Autobiography

Great comments! Glad you're enjoying.

You are right about the dual view. My L494 doesn't have it but by L405 does and it's so blurry/fuzzy in comparison!

Post #494481 Tue Apr 26 2016 4:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1