RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Starting to look at RR Sports - what to look/listen for?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

TD6 V's TDV6 is no comparison.... the FF is wayyy slower RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #338171 Thu Mar 29 2012 2:55pm
Mike_C

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Is it that big a difference performance wise?? - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)
- BMW 330Ci M-Sport coupe
- Suzuki GSX-R750 K6 'Stealth' - trackdays and high speed tourer

Post #338182 Thu Mar 29 2012 3:49pm
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

FF is heavier than the Sport with less power/torque

It's widely accepted the 3.0 TD6 engine is underpowered for the bulk of the FFRR, and there is little that can be done to improve it (remaps etc not great)

The sport is much nippier in comparison..even in standard form...and a remapped TDV6 will literally run rings around a 3.0TD6 RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #338184 Thu Mar 29 2012 3:58pm
Mike_C

Aaaah no, internet nightmare - conflicting information!

LRO feature this month reckon the 3.0 Td6 responds well to remapping, particularly if you uprate the intercooler. Also, the EMAPS website shows bigger gains from the Td6 than the TDV6 - either way I would probably get whichever car remapped.

I think the weight difference is around 100kg between the FFRR and RRS, and remapped both engines produce around 230bhp and 500Nm of torque.

One thing I have noticed from the FFRR forum is there seems to be a lot more to check, and thus a lot more problems, associated with the FFRR, whereas not many people have mentioned many issues on here - but perhaps everyone has made a pact to keep resale values high!! Wink - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #338192 Thu Mar 29 2012 5:04pm
Mike_C

awd man wrote:
FF is heavier than the Sport with less power/torque

It's widely accepted the 3.0 TD6 engine is underpowered for the bulk of the FFRR, and there is little that can be done to improve it (remaps etc not great)

The sport is much nippier in comparison..even in standard form...and a remapped TDV6 will literally run rings around a 3.0TD6

You were right! I went and viewed/test drove the FFRR Vogue tonight, here's my thoughts, positives first:

- Car was in really good nick, a lovely looking example
- Fantastic interior and seats, very comfy and loads of room, loved the inside
- It is HUGE, the physical size of it outside was surprising - must be a Censored to park
- Very familiar; sat nav, interior lights and switchgear idential to my BMW E46 330Ci!
- Quality was superb, seats were supportive and comfortable and loved the gadgets

Now the negatives:

- Firstly, the steering seemed very heavy once you got past 10 and 2 o'clock points, not sure if that was specific to this example?
- The engine felt REALLY rough. I don't think it was a bad car - under 60,000 miles with a FLRSH and only 2 owners - but it felt very agricultural, rough and not particularly fast. When I did accelerate up a slip road, it didn't seem happy about being revved and I would say my 3.9 Classic was a fair bit quicker.
- Felt quite heavy, not exactly nimble as others had described.

As it happened, the chap also had a TDV6 RR Sport for sale, which I took out for a spin as a comparison. Felt much more nimble, nicer to drive and I preffered the cosseting cabin, although the FFRR is in another league in terms of quality and comfort.

Overall, it is going to be an RR Sport for me - I preferred the driving experience, the engine was a lot smoother and I don't need the extra room. To be honest, the engine ruined it for me - I'd probably love a V8, but can't have LPG as cant take it on the channel tunnel and no good in Morocco either!

So, bring on the RR SPort search...think I'll go view that silver SE tomorrow: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3565905.htm - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #338227 Thu Mar 29 2012 10:39pm
oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

Mate,

You seen the guy on here posting looking for around £14K for his 100K TDV6 HSE with what appears to be FMDSH?

That could be worth a look....decent price.

Also note the posts commenting upon insurance companies views upon wheels as an aftermarket modification..

Good luck, you'll get there

Jim 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE in Artic Frost. 20" 2010 HST Alloys, sidesteps, Hawke tips, plus minor bits and bobs along with a remap. Four spike spiders ready for the Alps again now tucked up in their garage boxes...

Post #338289 Fri Mar 30 2012 1:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mike_C

Thanks Jim, hadn't seen that advert but I know they need a big body-off service at 105,000 miles so that would need to be taken into account - think I'd rather spend a few grand more and get a 70k miler!

I've no interest in big wheels, I want 19" maximum so I can get decent A/T tyres fitted. - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #338302 Fri Mar 30 2012 2:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123