RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Speed Limit to 80mph by 2013...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

firstinretail

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Siberian Silver

everything is safer now, 70mph 50 years ago was maddnes, we have airbags, abs, and the like up it to 100mph and be done with it.

We are also forgeting that unless its 2.00am then the chances of doing 80mph is pretty slim because the roads are either shagged or full...

Post #315826 Fri Sep 30 2011 7:26pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Get the speed limit up as far as possible for me, speed does not kill, it is comiing to a sudden stop that does Laughing

Post #316266 Wed Oct 05 2011 8:25pm
The Kergan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Nara Bronze

So if the speed limit goes to 80 will the rozzers and cameras let you get away driving at 90mph ?
Or will everyone be generating income for the government by getting nicked for doing 81
Mph 2017 Range Rover Sport Autobiography

Post #316296 Wed Oct 05 2011 10:41pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

You should be ok upto 88mph 80 + 10% but don't blaime me if you get caught doing 88 just because i said so Laughing

Post #316299 Wed Oct 05 2011 10:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Kergan

Well orifice, it's like this, Ady on the RRS forum said I could do 88 no problem and not get nicked. Check him out on the RRS forum. 2017 Range Rover Sport Autobiography

Post #316301 Wed Oct 05 2011 10:53pm
mse

United Kingdom 

[quote="muddywheels"]Transport Secretary

Quote:
"Mr Hammond said England and Wales' roads "should be the arteries of a healthy economy".

Maybe they should get rid of all the stupid 40 and 50's they have brought in on country roads if they want to cut journey times Shocked

I hear you there.

Speed doesn't kill - inappropriate seed does when coupled with an idiot driver Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #316302 Wed Oct 05 2011 10:55pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The Kergan wrote:
Well orifice, it's like this, Ady on the RRS forum said I could do 88 no problem and not get nicked. Check him out on the RRS forum.

Rolling with laughter Bow down Big Cry Thumbs Up

Post #316303 Wed Oct 05 2011 10:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Kergan

MSE. What is inappropriate seed?
Would that be like sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds!

Sorry couldn't resist Whistle 2017 Range Rover Sport Autobiography

Post #316305 Wed Oct 05 2011 11:00pm
mse

United Kingdom 

The Kergan wrote:
MSE. What is inappropriate seed?
Would that be like sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds!

Sorry couldn't resist Whistle

In appropriate speed Rolling Eyes could be anything - 20 on a motorway in Snow for example Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #316396 Thu Oct 06 2011 5:41pm
mehdiaj

thank the lord, this has taken long enough!

Post #316949 Tue Oct 11 2011 10:10am
Siberianfox

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

I think what we should remember chrismc that trucks overtaking are only doing there job to meet their delivery deadlines to ensure that you and your family get fresh food, clothes and everything that you use on a daily basis has been brought to you by a truck. SO... let them over take. What we should be looking at is perhaps a grading system for speed. Perhaps if your vehicle falls into a slow category like we rate speeds in tyres??
Obviously a fiat punto should not be allowed to go as fast as the RRS... Prhaps if we looked into launching a lane just for the higher rated cars. I know a few people would see this as elitism gone crazy. But hey I think it would work. I think the government should be more forward thinking now. Instead of worrying about Dr Fox, I didnt realise that the fact he doesnt have his chart show affected the nation so much Shocked

Foxy xx Smile

Post #316953 Tue Oct 11 2011 10:17am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

My wifes old fiat punto 1.2i could do 100mph, so why can't it go in the same lane as a RRS

If a car can do the speed and the driver will actually drive at that speed i see no problem with which ever lane they choose.

Trucks however who overtake at +1mph higher than that they are overtaking only to be slowed by the large load they are carrying and the hill they are trying to overtake on, is annoying as they block 2 of the 3 lanes available at least when i overtake whilst towing i make sure I can do it as quickly as possible and at a appropriate speed to minimise the effect on others Very Happy

Post #316957 Tue Oct 11 2011 10:32am
Endjin

Scotland 

I think Foxy has got a reasonable idea there. Some sort of grading of speed permitted for a vehicle or for that matter certain drivers is not such a bad idea. For example cars could be graded as part of the MOT and you have to display a max speed sticker in your window (it could even be incorporated into your tax disc). young inexperienced drivers and drivers that have had certain restrictions placed on them due to medical or legal issues (age / eyesight / certain number of penalty points etc). could have restrictions placed on them in the same way. I know it would be a nightmare to administer but, it's just a bit of brainstorming. Whatever happens, I do think that we need to look at restricting young drivers in some way. Up here in North East Scotland the statistics for young (under25) drivers either killing themselves or other road users on our country roads is quite simply appalling and in almost all cases speed is the major factor. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #316958 Tue Oct 11 2011 10:38am
Siberianfox

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

Npinks. I see your point. However I also see that many drivers who have smaller engined cars seem to hog the middle lane and near side lane, and this is just from my perception. Is this because they dont feel safe with the speed? or being surrounded by bigger vehicles? Im not saying that everyone who has a smaller engined cars do though.

The truck issue..... I still think that caravans are more annoying Smile BUT thats my opinion , Again, Nick you obviously are aware of others and always try to drive with consideration to others, but you know some caravan owners give you nice ones a bad name.
Trucks should just be one of those bitter pills we swallow Im afraid. If we started administering stricter overtaking rules then we would end up in a situation where we damage the transport industry even more. Dont you think its difficult enough to recruit new blood into transportation with all the legislation not to mention the crippling tax on fuel.

Moving onto Young drivers, I see several points here. Whilst we should be looking at helping te young driver get more experience, we also should not peanilise them into being only allowed to drive in certain hours etc. Think of all the rural new young drivers that need to be able to set off to work or return home early....
Maybe we should look at limiting the engine capacity to any passing their test..
perhaps year one of driving 1.3 max year two 1.6 and then year 3 no limit. Surely this would be more like a transportation quantitave easing...?

I know we all have different views, but surely we all want to see the countries roads eased. Perhaps we should look at completely banning Drink Drivers from driving in the future..... But the UK judicial system should be up for scrutiny....Lets look at removing all the illeagal drivers off the road... Smile

Post #316959 Tue Oct 11 2011 10:47am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I think there are drivers in all aspects whether that in cars, bike, trucks vans or bloody mobility scooters that give other users a bad name.

I do think a extra lane for truckers would be an idea, they all drive at 56 mph, so there should be no need to be pulling out overtaking, unless there is a exceptionally large load going slow up a hill or something. That way they keep on moving like a line of ants, just pulling out of the convoy at their junction

I think the only way which young drivers should be penalised is in the size of the engine or at least the BHP it produces, there are too many who go out in dads car and plough in to a bus queue showing off. But then there are a fair few small engine sized hot hatches about, so maybe install a degree of restriction on insurance ratings, they are only allowed something under a set level for the first few years without any hot hatch modifications to engine or body work. Plain & simple cars may mean less showing off

Post #316964 Tue Oct 11 2011 11:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>