RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > New RRS owner 3 trouble codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jonnwhite

United Kingdom 
New RRS owner 3 trouble codes

I have wanted an RR for about 10 years and finally bought one this week and love it.
The car is a 2005 (55 plate) RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE with about 190k on it, the seller didn't list any issues with it but I've found a few and already fixed a few mainly broken mirror glass, brakes, tyres, and dead key battery.

The main one which happened on the 30-mile drive home was the engine malfunction warning. Can't find my basic code reader so went and got another cheapo one. 3 Codes come up and are listed below I cleared the codes first to get rid of the many old codes stored:

P0404 - I'm unsure if the EGR valves have been blanked off however I'm unsure of how to check if they are. Do I need to remove them and take a look?

P132B - from research seems to mostly be a turbo actuator or a dead turbo. I bought some Wynns Xtreme from Halfords and chucked it in the tank (just under half a tank) then did a good 50-mile motorway journey. The car is much faster at lower revs, before it was gutless and took forever to reach 30/40. Hard Accel I was getting lots of black smoke, however, it is much less after the long drive/wynns engine sounds a bit better too. The other half confirmed it's not a placebo!
I need to check the actuator assuming LR023086 is the part I may need before buying a turbo and will keep putting wynns in for a few tanks to see if that helps out any more.

I checked the long intercooler hose on the driver's side, looks good with no splits. But does have some small cracks on both ends just before the jubilee clip.

P02A3 - I'm not sure on this one, I can't read the trim values with my code reader but it does say "Inactive" I'm unsure which of the 3 codes is putting the engine fault message on! All research points to a Maximum limit rather than a Minimum limit so a bit stuck, but suspecting an injector(s) on the way out. MPG is around the 28 mark on the motorway and the economy isn't awful.

Any help is appriciated!

============1==============
P02A3(00)
Raw code: 02A300
ECU: 10[Archive (inactive)]
Status: Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle
Fuel trim (FT), cylinder 3 - minimum control limit reached

============2==============
P0404(00)
Raw code: 040400
ECU: 10[Archive (inactive)]
Status: Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system - range/performance problem

============3==============
P132B(00)
Raw code: 132B00
ECU: 10
Status: Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle

Post #642063 Sun May 19 2024 12:30am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Surprised your getting that egr fault code in a 2005

Look at the silver pipes between egr and the middle top of engine if you want to know if they are blanked.

You need to read the injector offsets really.
Could be low compression in another cylinder.

Autel ap200 in white is a good cheap reader. Older the better. (Can program keys)

28 mpg is good

Post #642066 Sun May 19 2024 9:17am
jonnwhite

United Kingdom 

Thank you!

Excuse my ignorance with the pipes but what am I looking for?

I’ll hunt around for a reader thank you, the engine isn’t hard to start from cold starts pretty well I’d of thought that would have been a sign?

Any thoughts on the turbo code?

Post #642067 Sun May 19 2024 10:58am
Andy K

These are the egr pipes. One each side down to the EGRs

Check to see if they are still there. If they are there maybe a blanking piece in egr end.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256514187811?mk...media=COPY

Yeah wynns is the right way forward with turbo code.

Can also make a rod out of coat hanger. To see if it’s stiff

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic122113...p;start=60

Post #642068 Sun May 19 2024 12:00pm
jonnwhite

United Kingdom 

Fair to say I still have those pipes. Assume I’d need to remove the pipes to see if it’s been blanked?
I may buy blanking plates if I have to take it apart and find it’s not blanked!

Car did seem much better with the wynns, I may of found someone with a launch reader who hopfully can tell me the trims. Could it just be lots of short trips and just needs some love?

Thanks for the disco link, I’d read many post about freeing it but that one greatly helps!
Thanks for your help so far!

Post #642069 Sun May 19 2024 1:12pm
Andy K

If the pipes are present, they are likely 90% functioning.

They can be blanked at the egr end with a shim or plate

I doubt the trims will fix themselves

Lots of knowledge on disco3

Post #642073 Sun May 19 2024 5:08pm
jonnwhite

United Kingdom 

Got a bit of an update, the guy with the Launch wasn't in but managed to have a good look on the car.

Looks like only the right-hand EGR (If looking at the car) has a blank plate in it, you can see the different metal between the two connections. The other side doesn't look to be blanked off, so we removed the MAP sensor which was a bit gummed up.

Cleaned that off, put a screwdriver into the MAP sensor hole and had flashbacks to my 320D E46 when removing the swirl flaps. The screwdriver came out with thick black rubbish! Kept on coming, so I think it's fair to say one of the EGRs is not blocked...

The attack plan is to get the actuator moving on the turbo as that error code seems to be putting the light on, clean out the throttle body and blank off the EGR. Will buy two plates and do them both (Just in case that isn't a blanking plate) all with a full service, oil, filter, fuel filter etc. Also, clean out the intercooler and hoses and check for any splits on the lower hose.

Hopefully, that will get rid of the EGR and Turbo codes, the trim error code hasn't come back again yet however will still get the trims read i suspect it might need an injector or two. I may buy the autel reader you linked above Smile

Another 80-mile or so run today and the smoke is getting better, but hopefully the above will help.

I'll keep you updated, I'm sure I will have more questions! Does it sounds like a good place to start?

Post #642076 Sun May 19 2024 7:30pm
jonnwhite

United Kingdom 

Andy K wrote:
If the pipes are present, they are likely 90% functioning.

They can be blanked at the egr end with a shim or plate

I doubt the trims will fix themselves

Lots of knowledge on disco3

Hey me again,

So had a full day of working on the car, including a full service, blanking both EGRs (They were nasty) gave everything a clean and making sure to remove the butterfly.

The final job was to work on the turbo actuator. I managed to get it to move only a small bit (It's jammed solid a long screwdriver and some gentle taps with a hammer didn't make it budge). It has deffo moved however i now can't seem to move it any more, since moving it I've not got a new problem which i think is related to the actuator moving slightly. With the EGR delete the car runs much better and allot less smoke.

The new Code is P0046(00) i took the car for a drive and that code piped up, however, it didn't come back after the code cleared. I'm wondering if my moving the actuator has caused the vanes to now stick open, I'm also getting a sort of dump valve sound when revving the engine on the comedown which is new today and apparently can be the turbo/actuator.

Any tricks to free the actuator or am I looking at a new turbo? The gap is a bit tight and many tools wouldn't fit! Made a makeshift hook tool to try and push/pull the actuator but it won't budge.

Many thanks
Jon

Post #642220 Sat May 25 2024 10:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1