RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Starting to look at RR Sports - what to look/listen for?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Mike_C

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange
Starting to look at RR Sports - what to look/listen for?

OK, i'm starting to look at RR Sports, specifically TDV6's and possibly the odd TDV8 as well. I did contemplate getting a 4.4 or 4.2 S/C with LPG, but the spare wheel replacement tanks hang really low at the back, which will be vulnerable offroad. Also, losing a spare wheel is no good for me as for my trips to Morocco I need 2 spares, so trying to house two INSIDE the car will be a right PITA!

So, back to the diesels - what should I look and listen for before, during and after a test drive? I did search on here but could not find a definitive "buyers guide" as it were - happy to write one if people are happy to give all the info they have!

A lot of the ones I am looking at are 05/55-reg vehicles - were there any recalls/issues relating specifically to these early cars?

Also, any common faults I should look for? Not many get used offroad and a bit early for rot to set in, but will check all the same. Obviously need to check everything electric works, anything else to look for/avoid? Anything on the air suspension, for instance?

Lastly, spec - what were the differences between S/SE/HSE models? Not asking for a full spec list, just want to know what the SE and HSE have over and above the basic S model. I've found a well priced, well spec'd S model which seems to have everything the HSE's do (bar heated rear seats) - what were the main difference between them?

Thanks in advance! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)
- BMW 330Ci M-Sport coupe
- Suzuki GSX-R750 K6 'Stealth' - trackdays and high speed tourer

Post #337862 Mon Mar 26 2012 3:10pm
oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

Hi Mike,

That's fair old request for information there you've posted! Firstly, welcome aboard from myself and I'm a recent newcomer from last year. I think that's very relevant for you because the longer you trawl through this forum - which is surprisingly easy and addictive - the more you'll learn.

I think there are lots of quite good posts answering your points so the forum is yours to use. The guys (and girl from what I can see/read) are helpful and VERY knowledgeable, more so than dealers in some cases.

Here's my contribution for you....

Clearly, you know what you're to use the vehicle for in Morocco but I'd have thought the fuel economy on a SC would be horrendous for the journey and are fuel stops that frequent if wheel issues are a concern? Just a thought.

Offroad worries. Not quite sure why you're worried mate? These vehicles are rugged and capable. If you need proof then YouTube old Jeremy Clarkson outrunning the ChallengerII from the mid 90's Top Gear. It's a capable vehicle alright.

Rear wheel theft is an issue but there are aftermarket ways around that. Search for "RLD' and you'll see a very good design that I and many others use. If you have to have two wheels for terrain journey reasons then ought you to be looking at Discoveries maybe? Just a thought...

Hope this helps...the forum is great, get stuck in!

Good luck... 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE in Artic Frost. 20" 2010 HST Alloys, sidesteps, Hawke tips, plus minor bits and bobs along with a remap. Four spike spiders ready for the Alps again now tucked up in their garage boxes...

Post #337863 Mon Mar 26 2012 3:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mike_C

Thanks oxford_boy! I know it's a lot of questions, but may as well get them all out there!

As I say, I have ruled out the petrol models now, so only the TDV6 and possibly TDV8 models are of interest.

For Morocco all I intend to do is fit a decent set of A/T tyres, so would need either 18" or 19" alloys for that. Do they all come with a full size spare wheel or will I need to buy two?

Main things I need to know are is there anything specific to the diesels I need to be aware of, and were there any recalls that I need to check have been done, or issues specific to the earlier models that were later ironed out?

As for the spec list, I found this on Parkers - is it accurate?

Quote:
All cars come with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), climate control, remote central locking, an electric parking brake, electric front seats, cruise control, four electric windows, a CD stereo, remote audio controls, leather steering wheel, trip computer, alloy wheels, heated and electrically adjustable door mirrors and a six-speed automatic transmission. The SE model (which along with the S is only available with the TDV6 engine) adds sat nav, rear parking sensors, power-folding mirrors, xenon lights, leather seats, heated front seats, automatic headlights, rain sensitive wipers and a Harman/Kardon sounds system with an in-dash six-disc CD player. The TDV6 HSE adds more powerful front brakes, front parking sensors, a centre console cooling box, premium leather seats, metallic paint while the TDV8 and Supercharged (only available as HSE) add adaptive cruise control (which maintains a set distance behind the vehicle in front), a temporary spare alloy wheel and adaptive xenon lights that swivel on corners. An optional premium Harman/Kardon stereo system is available on all models as is a tow pack, electric sunroof, DVD twin screen rear entertainment system, television tuner, tyre pressure monitoring system, premium carpet mats and privacy glass.

Thanks Smile - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #337866 Mon Mar 26 2012 3:47pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

From memory, there was an issue with earlier RRS and large wheels (20 inch and more). There was a redesign on the steering rack to add a damper. Not sure whether there was a recall on this or just a "fit it if the punter complains". I think this was fitted as standard from MY2007 onwards.

So if you're looking at a 2005 or 2006 and it's got big wheels on it (or if the seller confirms big wheels were fitted in the past) then you'd be advised to check out the steering rack situation. There is some info about it in Bobby's gallery if I remember correctly. There is a whole load of other useful stuff in there too. Worth a look if you have a spare hour.

Other stuff includes the EGR valves which can fault and cause performance loss. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #337883 Mon Mar 26 2012 5:52pm
Mike_C

OK, thanks for the hints and tips! I'm actively trying to avoid cars with large wheels, as I need 18" or maximum 19" wheels so I can get suitable A/T tyres for Morocco.

On the spec front, is an S a bad idea in terms of resale time, are they harder to sell (even if spec'd up)? I'm also looking at an SE which has all the options I want apart from a sunroof - has heated rear seats though, which is a big thing for the missus and her mates when we go skiing/snowboarding in the winter!!

By the way, I remember hearing that on the D4 (and I think D3) you could order a locking rear diff from the factory - was this an option on the RR Sport too, and if so did anyone ever select them? - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #337981 Tue Mar 27 2012 12:25pm
RRSTDV8

The locking rear diff (e-diff) was an option on the RRS. Still is I believe. Not many have it fitted though so far as I know. The G4 had it as standard I think. Not sure if any others have it as standard e.g. S/C. Someone will know though.

If you want smaller wheels, then make sure the vehicle doesn't have the Brembo brakes fitted. These will limit you to some OE LR 19s and obviously 20 and bigger will fit. Not sure which, if any, 18s fit as I have a TDV8 so 19s are the smallest I can run. There seems to be an improving range of AT styles for 19 inch rims though so that's good.

Don't have much to say about the difference in resale between S and SE. I've never bought a car based on what the next owner might like - its always seemed an odd concept to me, although I realise that, for people who change their cars frequently, it might be a consideration. I've always bought what I want.

The S will be cheaper intially and will sell for less later. Would be interested to know the depreciation rate difference between the S and SE. Again, someone hereabouts will have that info. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #338018 Tue Mar 27 2012 3:36pm
oxford-boy

Not sure whether the terrain you will be encountering in Morocco would be this but the snow and ice terrain setting locks the rear diff I believe? I did quite a lot of research into snow chain use (which you may not need) and that was one of the offshoot findings.

I'll stand corrected from anyone else but that's my belief.. 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE in Artic Frost. 20" 2010 HST Alloys, sidesteps, Hawke tips, plus minor bits and bobs along with a remap. Four spike spiders ready for the Alps again now tucked up in their garage boxes...

Post #338027 Tue Mar 27 2012 5:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

Snow and ice will lock the centre diff as required by the traction available. It's open until required to be locked. The rear diff is always open unless the optional e-diff is specified for the rear.

I think rock crawl might lock the centre diff by default but not at all sure. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #338029 Tue Mar 27 2012 5:57pm
Mike_C

Sounds like my chances of finding one with the locking rear 'e-diff' are slim - is there any way of telling if the car has one from inside the car?

Have found two cars I quite like the looks of - any opinions on either of these? Is the latter work the extra over the silver car?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/3565905.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/2027358.htm - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #338060 Wed Mar 28 2012 9:21am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Both look tidy examples, the silver one will be due a cambelt change anytime soon if it hasn't already been done approx £8-900 from a main dealer, the blue one looks a lot better imo as it is an HSE and for me thats the one i would choose due the the subtle changes its had, the blue one will require the cambelt change next year (7 years old or 105000 miles) Thumbs Up

Post #338064 Wed Mar 28 2012 10:03am
Mike_C

Thanks Ady - that's the sort of invaluable advice I need!

I was looking for an HSE, but the silver SE has everything I want, even the heated rear seats. The only thing I would want is tinted windows to keep some of the heat out in Morocco, but that is easy enough.

However, it is out of tax af of 31/03/12 and if it needs a cambelt change too, that's a grand - making the blue one look much better value! Just not sure about all the colour coding that has been done, particularly the dodgy "Range Rover" spaced lettering on the boot. Apparently it was a wealthy chap who likes to personalise his cars, perhaps its worth going to take a look to see it in the flesh! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #338066 Wed Mar 28 2012 10:53am
oxford-boy

I prefer the Blue too, it has and looks much better.

If you were going to do much UK driving your insurance will go up for all those after market modifications but not much.

Have fun! Very Happy 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE in Artic Frost. 20" 2010 HST Alloys, sidesteps, Hawke tips, plus minor bits and bobs along with a remap. Four spike spiders ready for the Alps again now tucked up in their garage boxes...

Post #338067 Wed Mar 28 2012 11:00am
oxford-boy

I prefer the Blue too, it has and looks much better.

If you were going to do much UK driving your insurance will go up for all those after market modifications but not much.

Have fun! Very Happy 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE in Artic Frost. 20" 2010 HST Alloys, sidesteps, Hawke tips, plus minor bits and bobs along with a remap. Four spike spiders ready for the Alps again now tucked up in their garage boxes...

Post #338068 Wed Mar 28 2012 11:01am
Mike_C

What aftermarket modifications? Only thing is 2010 rear lights + S/C grilles, and I doubt I would even mention them as they are just LR lights - in fact, I'd happily put the originals back on to be honest! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #338071 Wed Mar 28 2012 11:08am
oxford-boy

Ok, maybe some of the options came with the vehicle from new, I doubt it in a few of the cases but the addition of a Supercharged grille and vents to a TDV6 changes the vehicles appearance and your insurers will quibble that.

It's a stunning looking vehicle but the headlights give you a clue that it's been modified (for the better in my view) but modified it has been.

They might never find out but there you go, the silver one looks more original. 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE in Artic Frost. 20" 2010 HST Alloys, sidesteps, Hawke tips, plus minor bits and bobs along with a remap. Four spike spiders ready for the Alps again now tucked up in their garage boxes...

Post #338073 Wed Mar 28 2012 11:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>