RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Problems with aledged flat spots on tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

kdm

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Problems with aledged flat spots on tyres

Hi all, I'm the sort of proud owner of a RRS HSE with lots of bells and whistles,

I purchased this new end of March 2011 and from around 2500 miles, I'm having real problems.

First thing in the morning, for the first 2 - 3 miles mainly, and at other times I'm experiencing 2 problems.

1. Wheel wobble through the steering wheel at all speeds

2. a feeling as if the front nearside shock absorber has gone, I know that I've not got shock absorbers, but that's what I'd say it was like from my experiences with cars many years ago.

I'm not getting a great experience with my dealership, and thus far this is what has happened.

1. around 2500 miles I took the car in and they said it was a known issue and that they would change front pads and disks, this did not cure it

2. they then questioned the wheel balancing, had it in for checking and stated that the wheels were not circular and looked like I'd hit a curb or sleeping policeman at speed, however I challenged this and they withdrew the comment.

3. they stated that the wheels required a "special" balancing and carried it out, this did not fix the problem.

4. through discussion we agreed that they would fit a spare set of wheels to see if this fixed the issue, it did not

5. the dealership believed that the fix was to change all four tyres, this they did, damaged 2 rims in the process and this has not fixed it.

Landrover are now stating that the porblem is that with the wheels / tryes that I have fitted, which are the standard 275 / 40 / 20's, when I leave it overnight, the tyres get a flatspot which causes the issue in the morning for the first few miles whilst the tyres warm up.

I doubt this very much and am now in discussion with the dealership for them to take the car back and either provide me with a new car or all my money back

Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

thanks in anticipation

Post #315159 Sun Sep 25 2011 10:03pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

What you are experiencing seems to be common with the RRS Sad

I have same problems along with many on here and LR do not seem to be able or want to admit or fix these issues Big Cry

I have resigned myself to live with issues but do not plan to buy another RRS and will need to get rid when warranty expires - I have no confidence in RRS anymore despite 7 perfect LR's over the previous 10 years Evil or Very Mad

You may be able to reject if you used finance - I found consumer direct have been very helpful in the past Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #315175 Mon Sep 26 2011 10:02am
andy r

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Zambezi Silver

I get this on my 110 with it's big m/t's on it, a definite flat spot effect, only happens on the bottom of the tyre mind ! 08 2.7 RRS "S"
Td5 110......very modified
RS 5
Kawasaki ZX12R Censored me, it's quick !

Post #315232 Mon Sep 26 2011 3:32pm
kdm

thanks both for your comments, and if it's that a common challenge then it's even more disapointing that it's not been fixed. I'm working with them on a full refund so this seems to substantiate my claim, given that it's a known problem.

I take muddywheels point, I also love the car, just not sure that I want to live with the effect, it also seems to be getting worse, we went down to our supermarket Saturday which is around 5 miles away, plenty of time for the tyres to warm up and the steering wheel was still twitching on the way back at around 45 50 and 65 mph Sad

I'll contact the dealership tomorrow to see where we are.

it is on finance so here is hoping, trouble is having had a disco 2 Metropolis V8 from December 2002 - March this year with zero problems, I'm really loathed to move away from Landrover, I have no idea what I'd go for.

many thanks and will keep you update.

btw, my flatspots were on the top Laughing

Post #315273 Mon Sep 26 2011 8:12pm
mse

United Kingdom 

This is interesting, i would be interested to know more.

I posted on this a while ago and ive sort of left it as its more of a niggle than and issue...but my wife tells me better do it sooner than leave it!

I keep meaning to book the car in, but i cant bring myself to - like you it only tends to happen first thing after greater than 8hrs left sitting, usually and not always when between 40 and 60mph...but im sure its flat spotting. I have had 2 wobbles under braking - but what is the solution??

The brake comment is interesting - what was the thinking behind that?

Also - did they just take in the car and do it, or was there some extensive test? to be honest the risk of the dealers screwing it up is greater than the issue of wobble...i also hear 4 wheel alignment might help? Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #315303 Mon Sep 26 2011 11:14pm
BKHK

Australia 

I had the same about 3 years ago. Tried everything like wheels, tyres and even a new steering rack. Turned out to be the rear diff which was replaced under warranty.

Post #315313 Tue Sep 27 2011 5:03am
mse

United Kingdom 

Today reminded me how minor it was - 3 minutes and then gone...ive convinced myself to wait...or have i Shocked Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #315387 Tue Sep 27 2011 5:07pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Funny this, I just put mine down to a characteristic, but since changing from the standard continentals to goodyears, I have had no vibration, what boots are on yours??
Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #315553 Wed Sep 28 2011 11:17pm
kdm

Hey all, this is getting interesting now, common ground, and not knowing that there were others with the problem.

my dealership have treated me like I'm the first one with this challenge, and today I spoke to 2 work colleages who both have RRS's and their first reaction was, no problem here, but once I talked it through, they both agreed that there is a something there.

the first thing the dealership did was replace the disks and pads on the front

tyres are Goodyear 275/40/20's standard tyres for the HSE, no special wheels nothing.

I'd say 90% of the time it's after an overnight stand, did not notice it for the first 2500 miles but that could have been happy camper syndrome, and I loved the smell of a new car. Razz

given I belive it is the same chassis as the Disco 4, I wonder if any of them suffer the same problem?

this weekend the car will be parked from Friday lunch time till Sunday afternoon without moving, I'm interested to see how that fairs.

also planning to leave it standing overnight and then jack the front up in the morning and test each wheel with a lathe rest to see if they are out of round, i.e. do have a flatspot.

thanks for the feedback, I'll keep you updated and would love for any additional comments.

is it something that I can live with, I'm not sure........

regards

Keith

Post #315556 Wed Sep 28 2011 11:25pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Mines going in - not because of the morning thing, but because its wobbling the steering when braking from 70mph to 50mph and that seems dangerous

should the RRS front tyres be smooth one way and rough in reverse? Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #315618 Thu Sep 29 2011 5:01pm
mse

United Kingdom 

DRDILL wrote:
I use to have the steering wheel wobble when braking from speed, it was the front discs, they do warp easily. This could also be the cause of the vibrations at low speed as they have a certain amount of run out which helps knock the pads away from the disc when the brakes are not applied. When i replaced all the discs and pads the car ran much smoother.

Thanks thats really useful (reassuring and not, if you follow!)

The cars done 5.5k in 6months 20days - hopefully they will be able to fix it in a day when it goes in...i might get the wife to video it for me when im driving Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #315770 Fri Sep 30 2011 12:10pm
mse

United Kingdom 

It had a very gentle first 1000 actually and it did it almost from the start...

5500 mine is below average miles, so it tends to do the bigger runs Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #315813 Fri Sep 30 2011 6:58pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

I leave mine in the garage sometimes for about a month and dont get any flat spots on the tyres. Not yet any way. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #315824 Fri Sep 30 2011 7:25pm
kdm

thanks for the comments folks, so after leaving the car parked in my companies undercroft from Friday to Sunday afternoon, it certainly was not as bad as it normally is after parking outside my house overnight.

interestingly I've just received this response from Land Rover via the dealer

Land Rover have replied to my request for an engineers visit.

"The Investigations undertaken by their Technical Engineers into the reported concern have identified that the cause of the vibration that dissipates after a short period of driving is due to flat spots on the tyres. Therefore there is no remedial action required from Land Rover and an Engineers inspection would serve no purpose."

this is actually raises some interesting points
1. why did they change the front discs and pads so readily to start with
2. why did they replace all 4 tyres recently to see if that fixed it

all this has been carried out under warranty.

I'm waiting for the dealer to confirm that this is the official response from Land Rover and once they have done I will email Goodyear to have them confirm that this is as they would expect with these tyres fitted to an RRS.

MSE, please let me know how you got on with your car going in as I find it dificult to believe that Land Rover have designed and are selling a car which has an inherant and confirmed problem.

Dave, exactly which Goodyears do you now have fitted, mine are Goodyear Excellence 275 / 40R20 106Y

will update as soon as i hear anything but will keep checking in here for your updates

regards

Keith

Post #316283 Wed Oct 05 2011 9:49pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The Lr response is typical of their attitude - I have contis with no tread on edges after 10k, steering vibration and knocking suspension but got similar response from Lr and stealer Evil or Very Mad

Everything that is wrong is a characteristic now Shocked Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #316292 Wed Oct 05 2011 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>