RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > RRSport inlet camshaft not turning. loose cam bolt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

captain haddockmw

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Baltic Blue
RRSport inlet camshaft not turning. loose cam bolt

His guys, have a range rover sport super charge has only done 37000miles and was giving hard start problems, after taking out the rocker Sad cover we found that the inlent camshaft on drivers side was not turning. Who knows the remedy for this pliz as it is clear that the engine timing has moved.

Captain haddockmw

Post #310400 Thu Aug 18 2011 6:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Either very loose cambelt or a snapped cam belt, either way i would guess you have a few bent valves and possible head damage. Big Cry

Post #310406 Thu Aug 18 2011 8:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
captain haddockmw

Yeh I thought about that as well. So what I am doing now is I have taken out the engine to re do the timing as by the looks of it and sound when cranking the engine it doesn't give anysign of valve damage. No knocking noise. Will be putting it back in the car on sunday so will give u a shout. Thanks

Post #310611 Fri Aug 19 2011 3:18pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

If the timing belt has come off or snapped there won't be any knocking noise when cranking the engine, it will turn over quite quick, the knocking will start when you put the new belt on and reset the timing if there is any damage Big Cry But the problem may lie deeper than that.... What has caused the timing bet to come off or snap in the first place Question Question Question
Keep us posted Thumbs Up

Post #310642 Fri Aug 19 2011 8:53pm
JOHNNY FEW

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Sorry have i miss read this post i thought he said he had a supercharged model therefore i think you will find it does not have a timing belt it has a chain instead which im led to believe very rarely gives problems?

Post #310644 Fri Aug 19 2011 9:05pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

JOHNNY FEW wrote:
Sorry have i miss read this post i thought he said he had a supercharged model therefore i think you will find it does not have a timing belt it has a chain instead which im led to believe very rarely gives problems?

In that case then, it could be really serious Shocked Don't the get a 3 year warrenty in south africa?

Post #310645 Fri Aug 19 2011 9:10pm
captain haddockmw

Hie guys, I managed to re do the timing on the engine and reffited it. The spark is there when I check, and it seems to be overflooding and that's leaves me to say the valves are bent.

The problem originally is

Its a sport super charged, it has a chain and has only done 40000km at the moment. What I saw was that the bolt which holds the chain gear on the inlet side was loose as a result what was happening was we would be cranking the engine but out of the four camshafts on the engine only three were moving. The fourth one is the one that was loose and only the gear will be rotating and not the camshaft. I guess the valves are realy bent.

Post #311668 Fri Aug 26 2011 3:27pm
timcom0

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Ady
post my problem link will you as this sounds exactly the same scenario

Post #311683 Fri Aug 26 2011 5:02pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

timcom0 wrote:
Hi Ady
post my problem link will you as this sounds exactly the same scenario

This one Thumbs Up
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic20832.html?highlight=

Post #311693 Fri Aug 26 2011 6:31pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Do a compression check to isolate the cylinder(s) that's giving problem before you rush to pull the heads off so you can diagnose which valve(s) may be bent.

If you're lucky it may be only bent so slightly you can't see it on the otherhand you might also have a cracked piston crown as well as damaged valves.

Post #311785 Sun Aug 28 2011 10:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1