RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > RRS veers sharp right....any clues?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

gmilner

Australia 
RRS veers sharp right....any clues?

Hi folks, I was advised to try the UK forum for this as there are far more of these in England than there are here in Perth, WA.
I recently returned from a long off road trip to the Kimberely region, where the car performed brilliantly, as I expected it would.
On return home I took it to the local dealer to have the off road wheels (the original 19 inch wheels with 255/55/19 Goodyear MTRs) taken off and the 20 inch road wheels with Pirelli P zeroes put back on.
As soon as this change was made, the car started immediately pulling noticeably to the right under acceleration from start.
A subsequent wheel alignment proved it was aligned perfectly.
The only difference that I can figure out was the tyre shop, when refitting the road wheels, swapped the fronts with the rears.
The road wheels are aftermarket Stormers, and there was no problem with them prior to the big trip, before I put the off road wheels on.
The dealership cannot figure out what the problem is. Could it be that one of the wheels is slightly out in it's offset?
Certainly I will be suggesting that when they open again in the morning, in the meantime the car is sitting locked up in their workshop until somebody at LRA comes up with a solution.

One more thing, a few months ago it was recalled for steering rack, brakes and steering wheel replacement under warranty as I had noticed a distinct wheel shake under brakes from freeway speeds.

I notice that the shake is back again.

Any clues?

It's a 2010 3 litre diesel. Greg Milner
Perth, Western Australia

2010 RRS 3.0. For towing boats and bashing corrugated outback roads.
2007 Audi TT Quattro (wife's shopping cart. Time to go)
2013 Polo GTI (wife's new shopping cart.)
2007 Holden Caprice V8 ('cos it's not worth selling it)

Post #311775 Sun Aug 28 2011 4:12am
firstinretail

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Siberian Silver

if it started when you changed the wheels, i must be the wheels, swap the rear for the front see what happens, see if you can isolate that way.

Post #311776 Sun Aug 28 2011 7:48am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I'm assuming you checked the tyre pressures are all OK and equal across the axles.

Before you swap the front to rear I'd swap the fronts across, i.e. left to right. and see if it pulls the other way.

You did not say whether this was more severe under braking? Was theer a significant camber on the road?

Remote chance you might check that you haven't got the brake binding on that side - jack it up and see if the wheel spins freely.

Other issue could be the steering rack; is the rack centred? - not the sterring wheel - the rack must be central to keep the self centring correct.

Post #311782 Sun Aug 28 2011 9:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1