Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Jumping a RRS?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

0cj0

United Kingdom 
Jumping a RRS?

Hi all,

I've just been out in the garage for a couple hours cleaning/detailing the RRS, while I was working on it I had the radio on and the battery has died Embarassed

Anyway I know how to jump start cars, but I was just wondering if theres anything else you need to do after a flat battery? I know how technical and quirky the RRS is so it wouldn't surprise me if you have to call LR out?

Many thanks in advance!

Post #292150 Sun Mar 13 2011 9:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Best thing is to disconnect battery and charge it up. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #292152 Sun Mar 13 2011 10:02pm
Nice But Dim

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Re: Jumping a RRS?

Last time i jump started a car ( Range Rover Classic ) the stereo caught fire, no drama, the water leaking from the windscreen seal soon doused it.

Plus side, the rear demister that had never worked suddenly started working so if it were me:

I would def take it off and charge it. --------------------------
RRS S/C, Java Black
X-Type Jag sport
LR D2 GONE
BMW 540 GONE

Post #292157 Sun Mar 13 2011 10:30pm
0cj0

United Kingdom 

ok thanks guys!

Post #292161 Sun Mar 13 2011 10:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Vehicle Jump (Emergency) Starting - Using Another Vehicle

Carry out the following operations in the sequence given:

1. Connect one end of the BLACK (-) booster cable to the GROUND (-) battery terminal of the DONOR vehicle
2. Connect the other end of the BLACK (-) booster cable to a good earth point e.g. unpainted metal surface or engine mounting at least 0.5 m (20.0 in) from the battery or fuel lines on the DISABLED vehicle
3. Connect one end of the RED (+) booster cable to the positive (+) battery terminal of the DONOR vehicle
4. Connect the other end of the RED (+) booster cable to the positive (+) battery terminal of the DISABLED vehicle
5. Start the engine of the DONOR vehicle and allow it to idle for a few minutes
6. Start the engine of the DISABLED vehicle
7. Allow engines of both vehicles to idle for a few minutes then switch off the engine of the DONOR vehicle
8. Disconnect the RED (+) booster cable from the battery of the PREVIOUSLY DISABLED vehicle
9. Disconnect the RED (+) booster cable from the battery of the DONOR vehicle
10. Disconnect the BLACK (-) booster cable from the earth point of the PREVIOUSLY DISABLED vehicle
11. Disconnect the BLACK (-) booster cable from the battery of the DONOR vehicle

Cool Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #292227 Mon Mar 14 2011 12:12pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Bobby, i always thought it was:- connect the red + terminal first to the dead battery and the black one last so not to cause a spark or sudden voltage to the electrical components to the vehicle with the flat battery Surprised Thumbs Up
Ady

Post #292250 Mon Mar 14 2011 5:50pm
oldcro

Scotland 

From the MY11 handbook.
1. Connect one end of the positive (Red) booster cable to the positive terminal on the donor vehicle's battery.
2. Connect the other end of the positive booster cable to the positive terminal on the disabled vehicle's battery.
3. Connect one end of the negative (Black) booster cable to the negative terminal on the donor vehicle's battery.
4. Connect the other end of the negative booster cable to a suitable earth point on the disabled vehicle. The earth point should be at least 0.5 metres (20 inches) away from the battery, and as far as possible from any fuel or brake pipes.
Note: Check that all cables are clear of any moving components, and that all four connections are secure.
5. Start the engine of the donor vehicle, and allow it to idle for a few minutes.
6. Start the engine of the disabled vehicle.
Note: Do not switch on any electrical circuits on the previously disabled vehicle, until after the booster cables have been removed.
7. Allow both vehicles to idle for a few minutes.
8. Switch off the donor vehicle. 9. Disconnect the negative (Black) booster
cable from the previously disabled vehicle.
10. Disconnect the negative (Black) booster cable from the battery of the donor vehicle.
11. Disconnect the positive (Red) booster cable from the previously disabled vehicle.
12. Disconnect the positive (Red) booster cable from the donor vehicle.
STARTING A DISABLED VEHICLE
USING A STARTING AID
To start the vehicle using a starting aid or a slave battery, follow the instructions in the sequence given.
1. Connect the positive (Red) booster cable to the positive battery terminal of the disabled vehicle.
2. Connect the negative (Black) booster cable to the ground (-) terminal of the battery.
3. Start the engine and allow it to idle.
4. Disconnect the negative (Black) booster cable from the battery terminal of the vehicle.
5. Disconnect the positive (Red) booster cable from the battery terminal of the vehicle.

Post #292264 Mon Mar 14 2011 8:19pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Laughing Sorry, guys.

I copied this info from some literature related to 2009MY models. Did not actually check the sequence. I am looking at it again and in fact "Jump (Emergency) Starting - Using a Slave Battery/Starting Aid" is written as follows:

Carry out the following operations in the sequence given:

1. Connect the end of the BLACK (-) booster cable to the ground (-) battery terminal of the vehicle
2. Connect the end of the RED (+) booster cable to the positive (+) battery terminal of the vehicle
3. Start the engine of the vehicle and allow it to idle
4. Disconnect the RED (+) booster cable from the battery terminal of the vehicle
5. Disconnect the BLACK (-) booster cable from the battery terminal of the vehicle

I have no idea if this is wrong too!! Wink Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #292279 Mon Mar 14 2011 10:04pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

No problem bobby, i'd say oldcro's theory is right, Thumbs Up

Post #292281 Mon Mar 14 2011 10:13pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 
Re: Jumping a RRS?

Nice But Dim wrote:
Last time i jump started a car ( Range Rover Classic ) the stereo caught fire, no drama, the water leaking from the windscreen seal soon doused it.

Plus side, the rear demister that had never worked suddenly started working so if it were me:

I would def take it off and charge it.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

You couldn't make it up, god bless classic Rangies Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #292286 Mon Mar 14 2011 11:26pm
0cj0

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the help, I bought a charger and left it on slow charge for around 17 hours now touch wood it'll be fine. Thumbs Up

Post #292332 Tue Mar 15 2011 9:56am
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I jump lead started my D3 twice (1st time with a friends Alfa... took 5 mins of reving before any sign of life from the Disco Laughing and 2nd time from a fellow Disco3 Club member and that took 10 seconds using quality jump leads and a D3 battery...)

reminds me..I must purchase a set to keep in the car.... Whistle RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #292381 Tue Mar 15 2011 5:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1