RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Just can't get comfy!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

carlos50

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I recently purchased a 2005 S/C and have the same thing, its the short seat in a RRS that causes this i think. My Mercedes SL had an adjustment option that would allow the seat base to extend out providing more support for the legs and it was the best seat i have ever sat in.

My FFRR Vogue had better / softer seats than the S/C but i think the hard leather in the S/C adds to that feeling.

I agree, you do hover and i think its the short seat. Your girlfriend is right, you will get used to it but for some its unbearable.

Carl

Post #279397 Wed Nov 03 2010 1:54pm
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Interestingly I've found the opposite,I had a MB E320CDi eastate which had the AMG air conditioned seats with a long base and after about a 3 hour journey when I got out I could hardly walk,this hasn't happened with the RRS shorter seat base and I wondered if the longer base on the MB was cutting off the blood supply at the knee. MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #279403 Wed Nov 03 2010 3:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wackyjim

Scotland 

RonnieT wrote:
Sorry for resurrecting a pretty dead thread, but was searching to see if anyone else was suffering a bit in the seat.

I'm finding it really hard to get a good seating position in my new 2005 RRS. I'm getting pains in my leg which I reckon are down to 'hovering' over the brake and accelerator when driving in town. I dove a P38 in supreme comfort for 8 years, but this is really tough; I think it's down to the Supercharged needing such light inputs on throttle and brakes in city traffic that I'm tensing my leg way too much.

There's so many adjustments to the seat too, I'd really be interested if anyone has discovered an 'idea' position. The pedals feel a little too offset to the right, wondering if there's a kit to relocate them in any way ?

Or, another question - what if I were to run the car in a mode with a less responsive throttle in city traffic ? I haven't tried this, but was wondering if 'sand' mode might slow the instant throttle response ?

I'm not getting back pain, just leg pain.
My girlfriend tells me it's just like using a new piece of equipment at the gym - the muscles will eventually relax into it.
Anyone experience this ?

Hi Ronnie...
I'm sorry to say your girlfriend is in my opinion wrong and if you are suffering what sounds like identical pain to me then you are unlikely to ever feel comfortable however you are absolutely spot on regarding the pedals...I had to attend a physio because of the pain and he asked to look at my seating position in the car and he immediately identified that my right thigh is perched on the seat bolster causing a pressure point he also perhaps more importantly felt that my right leg position in addressing the accelerator pedal is such that it has to rotate awkwardly to meet the pedal which in turn puts pressure on the heel/toe action of driving.All of this gives me under thigh aches which means that driving any more than 15 minutes is purgatory!!!! The solution in his mind would be to move the accelerator and brake pedals by approx 1-2 inches which would bring thigh and foot into a straight line and take the right thigh off the bolster cushion...I have for the past 6 months been looking to off load this car and get into a FFRR but the hit I am going to take because the RRS is so new is horrendous therefore I asked the dealer what my options were,he told me that they are not allowed to make modifications themselves but that there is a certified company in Cupar (Scotland) that can alter the pedals which would not affect manufacturers warranty/safety etc. He has promised to send me the details...when I get them I will let you know.
PS: Forget gel pads and seat cushions they don't work...its definitely the pedal position that needs to be changed!!!

Post #279406 Wed Nov 03 2010 4:13pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

I sympathise.

We sold a new Audi A4 quattro back to the dealer after two weeks cos the sports seats were a bloody nightmare - they had front extension thingies and for me and the management, the shorter RRS seats are superb by comparison IMHO. It should just be a matter of trial and error until you get a comfy position.

Good luck with it - hope you get sorted. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #279407 Wed Nov 03 2010 4:14pm
carlos50

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

wackyjim

When you say the pedals need to be moved in your car do you mean further away, further towards you, up, down etc ?.

Surely the first two can be remedied by the seat position ?.

Carl

Post #279408 Wed Nov 03 2010 4:27pm
wackyjim

Scotland 

Carl

Horizontally to the centre...pedal distance remains the same

Post #279410 Wed Nov 03 2010 4:39pm
Mail Order Ride

Me me me me me

I had exactly the same problem

I came from an E46 with Sport seats which fitted superbly

It took me months to get the seating position in my RRS right
The prob was too much to fiddle with if anything!

I am a lanky Censored
I recall a thread from years ago with tall people complaining

The thing that did it for me was raising the seat squab

As Im tall and as I delude myself that low=sporty I have always had the seat as low as it will go in anything I drive

Strangely if I jack up my RRS seat I can eventually get comfortable
I did 17h straight behind the wheel over the summer so it must be OK now Smile

I could never work out what was wrong - just that it was

Good luck

Post #279416 Wed Nov 03 2010 7:41pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

+1 Agreed somewhat.. I'm 6'7" and have the front of the seat squab up at its highgest and lower the rear of the seat squab....

Once had a rugby coach (former international player) who had a degree in ergonimics (go figure Exclamation Question ), and after seeing me climb into my then BMW 318is after training, he came over and inisisted on completely resetting my seat for me... I've tried to copy that sort of layout in every car I've had since, although over the years I'm probably a million miles away now!!!

Post #279421 Wed Nov 03 2010 8:25pm
RonnieT

Ireland 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Well, tonight I experimented with one of those strap on lumbar supports for office chairs.

What I found was putting it under my right leg extended the length of the seat, and gave me support under my knee.
And with the support under my knee, my foot was naturally just 'hanging' on the accelerator, not having to support it myself.

I've attacked said lumber support with a hack saw, cut in in half and carved away a lot of the foam so it will sit under my right leg, which I'm going to try tomorrow. Certainly, it seemed a million times better with support under the seat, so will try that.

@ wackyjim, while I'll keep you all up to date with my leg support, please PM me the details of the company in Scotland... I'm sure it can't be that hard to find someone to machine new pedals.

Glad to know I'm not alone in my pain!

Post #279436 Wed Nov 03 2010 10:12pm
RonnieT

OK, well, having fecked about with my home-made leg support, I thought on the return journey I would try Mail Order Ride and 2nd Rower's suggestion to go high. And what a difference it made!

I would have agreed that sitting high in a car with sporting credentials seems all wrong, but with the front squab as high as it would go and the rear of the seat as low as it would go, off I went, and it felt good.

If anyone has ever tried Tai Chi, there's a moment when, if you do it right, that you get a sense of pins and needles as the blood starts flowing better. I was getting that in my battered and abused right leg. Result.

There was a rotten traffic jam as well, which afforded me the opprtunity to fine tune every little bit of the seat position based (finally) on a good starting position. Little tweak, drive a little, another tiny adjustment, drive a little.... by the time I got home, it felt really good. Finally, I was ready to commit my seat position to the memory...

... which I forgot I needed the key in the ignition to do. I hit "Mem", then "1"... and watched as my perfect seating position changed to something suited to the first owner of the car. Who was a 5'2 lady.

Ah well, I know there's a good city position somewhere in there now, and when I finally read the manual properly I'll save 'town' and 'country' settings for the seat.

Getting there.... :)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #279537 Fri Nov 05 2010 10:44am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Good to hear that Ronnie.

I was getting a bit concerned when you mentioned a "strap on"............ Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage

Post #279538 Fri Nov 05 2010 10:51am
RonnieT

Bradders wrote:

I was getting a bit concerned when you mentioned a "strap on"............ Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Yes, I did pause and wonder if there was a better way to describe a lumbar support which attaches to a chair via a series of belt-like pieces of nylon... Mind you, I would imagine having someone go at you with some form of 'strap on' device would soon give you something other than a sore leg to complain about Mr. Green

Post #279539 Fri Nov 05 2010 10:54am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

RonnieT wrote:
Bradders wrote:

I was getting a bit concerned when you mentioned a "strap on"............ Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Yes, I did pause and wonder if there was a better way to describe a lumbar support which attaches to a chair via a series of belt-like pieces of nylon... Mind you, I would imagine having someone go at you with some form of 'strap on' device would soon give you something other than a sore leg to complain about Mr. Green

I wouldnt know, mate! Thumbs Up FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage

Post #279554 Fri Nov 05 2010 1:56pm
chris mc

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I must admit i find my car exceptionally comfortable, im 6ft 2.

Post #279561 Fri Nov 05 2010 2:13pm
andaval

Thanks for the tips guys - I was struggling to find a comfortable driving position also. The main problem was I had the seat too low..... Sad and was getting backache. This was very different from the Freelander I had previously, which was the most comfortable car I had driven before.

Following this thread, I set the backrest to a position comfortable relative to the seat cushion. Not bolt upright, but not leaning too far back either. The advice from www.drivingergonomics.com helped here.

I then raised the seat up as far as it would go. This was too high, as I was just about touching the roof and couldn't see the instruments properly, although I had raised the steering wheel up to it's maximum height.

I lowered the rear of the seat cushion until I could see the instruments properly and then moved the seat back and forth until the pedal reach was just right. I finally moved the steering wheel back and forth until that distance felt right.

What a difference ! Shocked Backache all gone and really happy with the seats now.

I set the front passenger seat up in basically the same way and no problems there either.

Thanks again from a much relieved new RRS owner who thought this was just part of the price you had to pay to get the Sport's advantages over the Freelander. Bow down

Post #301838 Sat Jun 04 2011 10:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>