RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > My summer trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

diamond

Greece 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Alaska White
My summer trip

This summer was the first with my new toy.
The plan was to start from Dusseldorf and through Switzerland and Italy to go down to Greece.
So we took off early July and luckily we avoid all traffic jams on German autobahns. RRS behave very nicely on autobahns, although I hated that speed limiter. Consumption was very good (10lt/100km).
In Switzerland we had to go by the rules so max speed was 120 and most of the time less than that due to the tunnels. We stayed 2 nights at Como, Italy and discovered that RRS is very nice on mountain roads especially if nobody else is around(!) That means that I managed to go up to Brunate on a road with just 1 lane and half and having the windows open I had the chance to hear the engine and the turbo whistling.

Later on I went all the way down to Ancona and I trusted the TMC which was telling me that ahead there was traffic jam. That choice forced me to go through Bolonia (luckily it was Sunday). At the end I wasn't sure if that was the right choice.

Then the nightmare came because I had to wait 3 hours to get into the ferry. (but I suppose that's the premium you have to pay when you decide to go by car and enjoy your trip and not going by plane)

And then Greece. That was tough even for me a Greek. The road from Patras to Athens is a very strong exercise to your nerves and to your driving reflects. A national road with only 1 and half lane on each side and with truck drivers that most of the times occupy the whole road. And no barriers to separate the lanes. The only good out of that part was the consumption 7.6lt/100!! (speed was 80-120km/h).

Click image to enlarge

During my stay in Greece I had the chance to see a lot of the 4x4 capabilities of the car especially the rock crawl mode.
One thing I really liked was the insulation of the doors that kept out of the car all the dust.

The return was almost the same except that I stayed overnight in Lucerne (wonderful place)

Total kms 5800 (2500 of them in Greece)

some pics:

Lugano
Click image to enlarge

Testing the articulation in Greece
Click image to enlarge

My son and the beast in a beach in Andros island
Click image to enlarge

one of the beaches I visited in Andros
Click image to enlarge
 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

2004 Fiat Panda 1.2 Climbing 4x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg4DdXAp7Y

Post #235068 Sat Aug 29 2009 11:13am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

very nice shots - thanks for sharing Thumbs Up 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #235071 Sat Aug 29 2009 1:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Post #235074 Sat Aug 29 2009 4:01pm
Alias

Switzerland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Nice shot. The RRS looks great in white!
7,6 l/100km is very economical. I was last year in France and I had an average of 8,8l/100km but I drove all the time with 160 km/h. Wink

Post #235075 Sat Aug 29 2009 4:17pm
gianluca

Italy 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Nice journey.
Please tell me which route you followed in Italy and I will tell you whether or not it was the best choice. My gallery: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=994

Post #235082 Sat Aug 29 2009 7:23pm
diamond

An extra advantage of white color with almond interior, especially in the South, was the much cooler interior compared to a dark colored car after hours under sun.
I was really surprised when with 40C I had the a/c only at 23 and the car was extremely comfortable.

After 8000 kms I have to say that RRS is a very comfortable car and manages to hide its weight and size very well.

One thing I 've noticed while I was in Greece was the different behavior of the engine with the low quality diesel offered there. Smoke was present during heavy acceleration, something I haven't seen with German diesel.

one more pic from Andros island which needs real 4x4 and some walking

Click image to enlarge
 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

Post #235083 Sat Aug 29 2009 7:30pm
diamond

gianluca wrote:
Nice journey.
Please tell me which route you followed in Italy and I will tell you whether or not it was the best choice.

I enter Italy near Lugano ( The Italian side of the lake was very beautiful) and then from Como I followed A9 -A1 and instead of following A14 to Rimini I was directed to go through Bolonia and I joined again A14 after Imola to Ancona.

BTW next year I'm going through Venice mainly because I want to see Venice once more and also because the port of Ancona is very uncomfortable and small for the summer traffic to Greece. 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

Post #235085 Sat Aug 29 2009 7:48pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

diamond wrote:
I enter Italy near Lugano

And you did not call! Sad '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #235086 Sat Aug 29 2009 8:17pm
diamond

flydive wrote:
diamond wrote:

And you did not call! Sad

oops!! 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

Post #235087 Sat Aug 29 2009 8:35pm
gianluca

Italy 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

diamond wrote:
gianluca wrote:
Nice journey.
Please tell me which route you followed in Italy and I will tell you whether or not it was the best choice.

I enter Italy near Lugano ( The Italian side of the lake was very beautiful) and then from Como I followed A9 -A1 and instead of following A14 to Rimini I was directed to go through Bolonia and I joined again A14 after Imola to Ancona.

BTW next year I'm going through Venice mainly because I want to see Venice once more and also because the port of Ancona is very uncomfortable and small for the summer traffic to Greece.

Well, you probably made the right choice. My gallery: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=994

Post #235090 Sat Aug 29 2009 9:52pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

diamond wrote:
flydive wrote:
diamond wrote:

oops!!

and he came down South Germany - passed Stuttgart some 10 kms away.... and DIDN'T STOP FOR A DRINK ! Sad 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC

Post #235094 Sun Aug 30 2009 6:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diamond

liar, Evil or Very Mad I went down through Karlsruhe 80 klms west from Stuttgart. In german roads during summer season that means more than 2 hours deviation.

But I 'm planning to come down to your place just for you in the next few months

Thanks for the invitation Very Happy 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

Post #235096 Sun Aug 30 2009 8:48am
diamond

flydive wrote:
diamond wrote:

I forgot to say that I enjoyed my first summer bath in Lake Lugano. I don't like lakes for swimming but that was different. Very nice and clear waters. 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

Post #235097 Sun Aug 30 2009 8:54am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

guests are always welcome here Smile 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC

Post #235098 Sun Aug 30 2009 9:16am
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

XXXAngelXXX wrote:
guests are always welcome here Smile

+1! Very Happy

Next time you're near you can visit me for a cup of coffee and Angel can invite both of us for dinner! Twisted Evil Mr. Green

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing! Thumbs Up
Sounds like a very nice trip, I also wanted to do that last year but Mrs McBunny didn't want to drive that long so we had to take the plane. Confused On the other hand we didn't have the RRS those time so it would have been only half the fun it will be when we will do it soon (perhaps I'll tell her we will go to Italy, she will recognize the lie when we are on the ferry but then we already are on our way to Greece Whistle Mr. Green ).

Next time you drive through the Alps in Summer buy this before, you will have great fun: Thumbs Up
http://www.amazon.de/Gro%C3%9Fer-Alpenstra...amp;sr=8-1 RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #235141 Mon Aug 31 2009 1:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>