RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Seat position - AGAIN!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>

will_wonka

United Kingdom 

2nd Rower wrote:
Again I'm 6'7" and fit in with the factory sunroof. I also have a very upright seat due to needing to take car of my back - a hangover from rugby days as a youth!

Shocked Fit in, meaning relaxed and not sitting there with your head crooked to one side I assume??! Whistle

In terms of my height split, I am a little long legged with an inside leg of about 37"...

Hardly Neathandral, albeit my IL is only 31"....

Will I'm assuming you test drove before buying, so how was your individual issue not picked up before you parted with cash??

Absolutely, test drove a few and even had the HST day at gaydon, do not ever remember problems however, I distinctly remember when the car was delivered (WHAT an exciting day), I was sitting at my desk and I saw the lorry arrive....I did a 100m sprint in a quicker time than Ben Johnson (even when he was cok'ed up or whatever he was) Whistle ....opened the door for the 1st time, plonked myself in the seat Thumbs Up and 1st thing that hit me was, the seat does not go low enough Shocked I had just got out of my L322 which I part ex'd.....through sheer love of the looks and driveability, I guess my sub conscious took over and locked away the issue, until now!! Big Cry

Even if I go into my local stealers and jump into a crisp fresh un-bum wrinkled one, the seat is still too high, which is why I am stunned by the comments from the 'tall ones' here. The dealer is shocked, I am shocked (and have a bad neck) and LR do not seem to give a Censored .....proportions or not, baffling.

Test after test with random tall people here just confirms for me, you guys must have got lucky is all I can say.... Big Cry Big Cry L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #164482 Fri Apr 11 2008 10:55am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

It is quite baffling.... surely all the seats go into the cars the same... have the same components, the same movement ranges on the seat motors etc.

Maybe TB could shed some light on whether there have been any production differences as time has gone by... 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #164492 Fri Apr 11 2008 11:21am
Jonny Fresh

England 

Maybe its not your height, nor the leg/torso proportionality but moreso the manner in which you seat yourself.......try sitting with the seat as low as possible (obvious!), the front tilted up slightly, and put your backside as far back in the seat as possible, vary the tilt until you find it comfortable.

Post #164497 Fri Apr 11 2008 11:27am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Or.... you could cut a hole in the sunroof so that you were given miles of headroom! Thumbs Up 

Post #164499 Fri Apr 11 2008 11:29am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Jonny Fresh wrote:
Maybe its not your height, nor the leg/torso proportionality but moreso the manner in which you seat yourself.......try sitting with the seat as low as possible (obvious!), the front tilted up slightly, and put your backside as far back in the seat as possible, vary the tilt until you find it comfortable.

I have tried bum to the back of the seat, fiddle with the many positions of the back of the seat............as to offer a guide (of sorts) I have to sit with my a$$ away from the back of the seat as to avert head touching the roof. Big Cry

Even if I recline the seat to what is a very uncomfortable position, i.e. snoop doggy style, I still onlt have about 1/2 inch headroom MAX!! naturally if I lay horizontal, there is loads of space but obviously a bit of a gamble WRT hitting things in front of me....I would see nothing. Whistle L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #164501 Fri Apr 11 2008 11:52am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

shmoogle wrote:
Or.... you could cut a hole in the sunroof so that you were given miles of headroom! Thumbs Up

A solution!!!! hoorah. Rolling with laughter

If the sunroof was above me, I would not have an issue....its the surrounding headlining that is the issue. Maybe I could ask LR for a conversion to a panoramic roof?? What do you think? Whistle L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #164502 Fri Apr 11 2008 11:54am
Jonny Fresh

England 

When I say try tilting the seat I dont mean the back I mean the bit you sit on, that can be tilted on the horizontal plane

Post #164503 Fri Apr 11 2008 11:57am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Hmmm, yes I have tried that to the point where I am being crushed on the roof.....I have it in almost the lowest position, albeit it lacks support in that position"!"! Rolling Eyes L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #164504 Fri Apr 11 2008 12:12pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Some people are never happy Laughing 

Post #164511 Fri Apr 11 2008 1:14pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Mr. Green I am considering changing my name to Meldrew! Every new occurence of an issue....."I don't believe it"...oh, the hours of fun to be had.....now where is that kitchen knife. Rolling Eyes L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #164516 Fri Apr 11 2008 2:00pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

will_wonka wrote:

Shocked Fit in, meaning relaxed and not sitting there with your head crooked to one side I assume??! Whistle

Yes, completely comfortable.. Cool

I know what you are exactly what you are referring to - I bought my HSV GTO (Monaro VXR) in 2002, and didn't notice that i had to slouch to see out of the windscreen, and suffered through the years of ownership. The big positive with the RRS (apart from always wanting a RR from when I was 'knee high to a grasshopper') was that i could sit perfectly in it, without the stress in my back and neck that I had when driving the previous car.

I've sat in 4 RRS's in total - and have fitted in them all.... The two I sat in in the showroom on first visit to the stealer (one with and one without sunroof); the loaner I took for a few hours test drive (with sunroof) and the one I now own (with sunroof)..

If I get time I'll try and get some photographic evidence of my height and seating position to prove it!!

Post #164668 Sat Apr 12 2008 3:41am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

will_wonka wrote:

A solution!!!! hoorah. Rolling with laughter

If the sunroof was above me, I would not have an issue....its the surrounding headlining that is the issue. Maybe I could ask LR for a conversion to a panoramic roof?? What do you think? Whistle

In the early 90's I had my head through the sunroof of my friends VW Scirroco - it was the only way I could fit in! I was looking at the road above the roof line of the car! Shocked

I also got a lift in a colleagues Merc CLS last month - definitely not a car built for tall people - very uncomfortable, which was very surprising...

Post #164669 Sat Apr 12 2008 3:45am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

2nd Rower wrote:
will_wonka wrote:

If I get time I'll try and get some photographic evidence of my height and seating position to prove it!!

Mr. Green Look forward to it!!

I was passing Guy Salmon In Thames Ditton today and had a bit of time to spare, so popped in for a wee browse. Opened the door to be greeted with a lovely 08 reg Black HST. It looked great, nice to see we now get a "special" HST badge in chromo effect on the back now. Rolling Eyes Also nice to see the steering is now electric, still stunned that was omitted from a £63k car!!

This particular car had the "premium" seats rather than the sports ones, so I hopped in and Shocked horror, the seats were still too high Big Cry I had a general chat with the dungeon master and he said that 1-2 inches is the norm, on this occasion I was getting about an inch with the bouffant, so a very slight improvement.

It still seems stingy whatever way I look at it, FFRR - loads, D3 = loads, Defender = loads, even the new Freeloader = 2 inches....which TBH is stunningly annoying.

An update on mine - car is going in on Monday for a re-engineered seat that will give me the extra 2 inches I have craved for, so the bonus there is that WHEN the 5.0l comes out, depending on the outcome Monday, at least we will have a solution!! Will update on that Monday.

Lastly, I see that the PAG Volvo parts are still being used on the RRS, even the stealer was stunned when I pointed out the part in the boot.....still gives me a smile when they stand there and say....jees, I did not know that !! Rolling with laughter L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #164747 Sat Apr 12 2008 6:35pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Well, the re-engineering failed as it would have been too close to the bone and in the event of an accident.....well, you know where that would end up - non-payout.

I have resigned myself to the fact that there is simply limited headroom. Have been told that new seats will be available in the 2009MY - but doubtful if they will have an impact Big Cry

I may have to reconsider my choice of car after all Big Cry , which is a crying shame.

If the seats are no better in 09MY, having to change would be a real Censored ....aside from the seats the RRS is 99.9% amazing. Ho-hum. Big Cry L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #166223 Sun Apr 20 2008 1:34pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Some news.

LR executive office now involved - pictures have been taken by stealer, info being sent back with designer of the T5 platform involved!! Shocked Shocked

Not holding out much hope, but some what impressed they have at least got the ball rolling in the right direction. Very Happy L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #167444 Sun Apr 27 2008 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>