RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Height suspension / sensor issue - can't calibrate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

csa241

Australia 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Alaska White
Height suspension / sensor issue - can't calibrate

Hi guys - need some help diagnosing my issues with my L320 2011 TDv6.

I was having some issues with air suspension faults coming on over last couple of months. I would get intermittent orange suspension fault. If I go over 65km/h for over 20secs then it goes into red suspension fault mode and goes down to bump stops.

I was having intermittent issues with the rear right height sensor so I changed this (using live values and Thingdiag tool). I also changed the front right height sensor after seeing some intermittent issues on this sensor also. I have also cleaned both front and rear valve blocks - were slightly dirty but were both fine.

Symptoms -
- as above I am getting intermittent orange suspension faults
- going over 65km/h for over 20secs I get a red suspension fault and it will go down to bump stops
- if i try put the car into access height mode it will go down and then go into extended height mode almost immediately
- trying to use thinkdiag tool to do a height calibratation - i can't complete this successfully (measuring heights from middle of hubcap to wheel arch). I suspect the measurements are outside acceptable values but not sure (436mm, 435mm on front left and front right, 483 and 473 on rears).

I have taken a live screen recording of the voltages I am seeing for each height sensor. You can see below -

- Graph 0-10secs - Initially the car is at normal height at the start. Readings are flat
- Graph 10-15secs - I then put the car into access mode. Front left and Rear left voltages go up while rear right and front right voltages go down. THIS I suspect is the issue. The voltages on one of the sides is going the wrong way when the car changes heights.
- Graph 15-20secs - After a few secs the go car goes into extended height mode and you can see the voltages go the other way to what they did initially when the car when into access height mode.
- Graph 25-50secs - Then period of flat area - car is in normal height mode.
- Graph 50-70secs - Car is put into off road height mode.
- Graph 70-90secs - Car is put into normal height mode.

As you can see the voltages on one side are going in the opposite direction to the other side. From this video - I think the issue are the sensors on the left side of the car - both front and rear left.

Can somebody sanity check the above? Is there anything else I should be doing to diagnose.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a99beusa4z6...0&dl=0

Post #642834 Tue Jun 25 2024 10:09am
csa241

Australia 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Alaska White

I swapped the sensors on the fronts to rule out any issues and it looks like this is how they are supposed to function - inverted on side to side. So after ruling out any more sensor issues I figured I just had to get through calibration somehow.

I tried a couple of times - I put in values that were close to what it was expecting (not the actual measurements) - and it got further where it lifts the car up to off-road height then brings back down and asks for you to measure again. I couldn't get through the second round because the calibration wasn't within 4mm error tolerance. I tried 3-4 times to get through but couldn't.

Even though I failed the full height calibration it seems to have taken values because now I am not getting any errors (orange or red) and everything seems to be working!!

Post #642850 Wed Jun 26 2024 6:35am
erickwan

Malaysia 

Spend some precious $$$'s and get yourself a proper diagnostic tool like a Gap II. What you see at the sensor bears no relation to what the suspension ECU sees. Laughing

Post #642866 Wed Jun 26 2024 11:14pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Those height measurement are well outside the factory standard ride heights for the sport, 461mm front and 465mm rear give or take a few mil.

Cheers
Col

Post #642867 Wed Jun 26 2024 11:29pm
peterjj

Australia 

like what i think erikwan said, the numbers on the diag tool most likely don't relate to real life measurements. Measure actual values, the adjust a little bit on the diag tool and see what happens, then repeat repeat until the actual hub to arch measurements are all correct. Pete
2008 L320 TDV8
2022 Hilux Rugged-X

Post #642869 Thu Jun 27 2024 12:11am
erickwan

Malaysia 

What I meant is what you measure at the sensor means nothing. What voltages the suspension ECU sees is more relevant.

Post #642873 Thu Jun 27 2024 8:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1