RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SVR owners: Did you test an X5M
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

MSF21

SVR owners: Did you test an X5M

Curious if you tested the competition at all, or you like RRS so much you upgraded from another model in the range
The X5M is a different take on the same design brief as the SVR
The reviews seem good, as does the performance

Just curious if anyone tested one before plumping for an SVR

Post #495682 Wed May 11 2016 7:42pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

MSF21 wrote:
The X5M is a different take on the same design brief as the SVR

Well... no. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #495689 Wed May 11 2016 9:01pm
MSF21

Appreciate you taking the time to craft the reply

Post #495690 Wed May 11 2016 9:05pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

They're hardly the same brief; for a start, the SVR can do all of the off road stuff as well as being quick in the twisties... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #495691 Wed May 11 2016 9:21pm
PEACHY

England 

Pretty sure a few SVR owners will be along shortly to give you a more in depth response. If I had the money for a SVR or the X5M would i consider trying out both Question

No - straight to the SVR for me Whistle 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #495692 Wed May 11 2016 9:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MSF21

I disagree
They are within 10bhp of each other, and Ł5k in price
I would have thought SVR, Cayenne Turbo and X5M are natural rivals. Certainly the mag tests think so

Post #495694 Wed May 11 2016 9:31pm
TheWojtek

MSF21 wrote:
Appreciate you taking the time to craft the reply

You're welcome.
As I am able to drive virtually any new car available (and sometimes even paid for doing it) I can assure you, they're not coming from the same brief.
X5M has its xDrive rear-biased so theoretically it might have been actually more fun on a track if not the impossibly dull steering, lacking any feel and very not-BMW-like. The engine is OK...ish, since there's no real drama in it. As it turns out, the SVR makes excellent use of the torque vectoring allowing for driving it like one stole it, perhaps faster and more effectively then the BMW, so even on a track it is just better. Pointy, precise, a lot of feedback but not a shaky steering wheel.
One downside of the SVR would be that it makes the impression of leaning in the corners a bit more - it's subjective, though, because the car is taller then the X5M and the seating position is elevated in comparison to the BMW.
Off-road... that's a story no X5M can tell. No low-range in the BMW. No ground clearance of the SVR. It's a big station wagon. Even BMW doesn't call it an SUV any more, it's an SAV.
So to sum it up:

Well... no. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #495695 Wed May 11 2016 9:39pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Fully agree Wojtek. Very Happy Thumbs Up John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #495700 Wed May 11 2016 10:23pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Any performance difference is far outweighed by name and brand: BMW make wannabe's saloon cars. Porsche make tarted-up Beetles. Land Rover make the Range Rover. 

Post #495702 Wed May 11 2016 10:32pm
MSF21

Wojtek - thanks for that

Brief is
Have a C63 estate but with 3 boys under 5 thats getting too small
I dont commute so its only weekend use, and thats mainly motorway and A roads
Live in SE England, so chances of driving fast are limited
But its nice to feel that sensation of speed and being in something specual

Tried a new model C63s which was really nice, but reaffirmed its too small for our needs
Tried an X5M briefly. Loved the interior; a work of art with full leather option ticked. But the car did not feel that special
Immediately after I tried an RS6 performance which was mind bendingly fast, and exhaust sounded lovely.
Its a logical step up. A bigger and faster estate than I have now

But the interior is not that special; lots of plastic and I fear its a car that will be annoying to drive on our roads as its an all or nothing car - and I will end up losing license trying to do it justice !

Then I thought I should get a RRS or RR and embrace a calmer ride
Test drove both and liked them - especially the FF RR which felt very luxurious
As a curve ball a dealer then offered me a shot of the SVR and I was amazed how visceral it felt
It might not be a better car than a RS6 / X5M (debatable?). But it certainly felt a more special car all of the time....

But thats a 10 min test drive. I wonder if real world reliability and build quality (the boring stuff that counts) will swing favour back to German cars

First world problems ! But causing me lots of sleepless nights

Post #495704 Wed May 11 2016 10:42pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

The #SoundOfSVR is intoxicating. Don't need to drive an SVR fast to have a blast. 

Post #495706 Wed May 11 2016 10:45pm
sagalout

As said above, the SVR is exciting at any speed. I absolutely love mine, and in 6 months when I feel slightly less precious about it, I'll take it for some offroad adventures...something you can't do with an X5!

It's the only car I've had in quite a few years where I've got up at 7am on a Sunday to take it for a blast on empty roads - something I also do with my motorbike but have rarely done in a car before.

Post #495710 Wed May 11 2016 10:59pm
TheWojtek

MSF21 wrote:
It might not be a better car than a RS6 / X5M (debatable?). But it certainly felt a more special car all of the time....
But thats a 10 min test drive. I wonder if real world reliability and build quality (the boring stuff that counts) will swing favour back to German cars

The current RS6 is surprisingly fun to drive for a thing that size. However... I've had some medium-term testers of RS6, E63 and M5 type - all had their minor and major (looking at BMW here, even worse for me as I personally have two BMWs as well) hickups. My experience with M/AMG/RS cars is that they all develop some problems sooner or later. It's just because we stress them more then our regular 520d's. Audi has still not tackled the problem of carbon deposits in the heads of the RS cars, so they can lose as much as a 100 HP within a year of regular use. BMW has electric and infotainment issues bordering with ridiculous. On a bad build day, AMG can have problems with quality and finish (a C63BS of a friend has had the carbonfibre side sills sent to Germany three times to be properly painted with clearcoat). No doubt an SVR will also eventually have it's share of issues. Like all cars do.
But honestly, you buy a Land Rover not because of the great steering, brutal acceleration, space inside or wading depth of 700 milimeters. Either there is a connection, or there is none. I've felt it on the day I saw my (future) RR Classic years ago. Despite 15 years, 20 or something cars I've owned and some of them I still do have, despite thoroughly testing over 500 different cars for papers and TV, the RRS SC is an unbeatable combination for me. But it might just be me. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Last edited by TheWojtek on Thu May 12 2016 8:48am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #495716 Wed May 11 2016 11:22pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I do not own an SVR, have never owned any of the German opposition but have been a passenger in all of them and one thing that the SVR can do that the others cannot is handle the UK's potholed roads...... The German cars are all designed to handle velvet smooth Autobahns and The 'Ring, which makes them appear to have no suspension at all, even the German cars that do have air suspension ride harshly on it on less than smooth roads. Aim a Range Rover, RRS, Discovery 3 or 4 at a forest track and you would think you were driving on an Autobahn, no loose fillings or the feeling that the interior is about to self destruct on the first bump! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #495737 Thu May 12 2016 8:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jpegnall

United Kingdom 

My dad has the X5M and it really doesn't do it for me - the interior really doesn't live up to the RR products and the performance is too clinical, it looks boring and if I was going to go German I'd have gone for an ML63 (I am not an Audi lover) - although I know Mercedes have just changed their range so not sure what the new SUVs are like. He moved into it from an RS4 and it has disappointed him (not to mention he has had issues with key cloning twice and the interior electronics stripped out each time).

In my opinion the SVR (which I sadly couldn't justify getting when choosing my RRS due to doing a lot of miles) really stands out from the crowd and the sound is incredible, first car I've heard that I think sounds better than the C63. It also stands out from the other models in the range more than the X5M stands out from the other X5s.

Having said that, I had a 65 plate FF RR supercharged on loan for a week last month and it was a superb balance of refined, understated with the ability to provide you with moments of outrageous straight line speed. I say straight line speed because it felt like I was driving a tank with a rocket on it and having the dynamic mode in the RRS makes a massive difference on those early morning drives down empty country roads. My gf and I were not a fan of the FF and never considered it when looking (felt it looked a bit too big and, in her words, "old-manish" for us, but I must say we gave it back thinking we would seriously look at it when we come to replace the sport in a year or two, particularly because it feels a lot roomier in the back (we were surprised how little room the sport has in the back).

Post #495744 Thu May 12 2016 10:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>