RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Refused Warranty Claim - Thoughts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Chomega

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Refused Warranty Claim - Thoughts?

Hi all,

My 07 RRS HSE has just been in to a main dealer to have the timing belts done. Although its 7 years old (hence the big service) its only done 56k and has behaved perfectly. I have the LR Select extended warranty.

I also asked the dealer to fix the tailgate switch which no longer releases the glass window, as well as a reported fault with the suspension. This last thing turned out to be the compressor which is being fixed under the warranty.

They also found that the front suspension arms were knocking slightly.

I've just had the call that the warranty company have refused to fix the tailgate, which apparently requires a new rear window (about £800) or the suspension arms (£600).

I only bought the warranty about 2 months ago for about £700 and am now deeply Censored ed off that its not covering these things which, for a 56k car, seem way beyond wear and tear.

Any thoughts or ideas as to appropriate arguments to use with the warranty company would be much appreciated.

Thanks all,

Post #425496 Wed May 28 2014 6:36pm
Bungleaio

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

I can see why they are refusing the bushes as I would think these are a wear and tear item but did they give a reason why they are refusing the switch?

Post #425497 Wed May 28 2014 6:53pm
baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Carnt help you with the warranty but the taigate should only require a £20 switch to fix the problem

Post #425500 Wed May 28 2014 7:01pm
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

WTF. Why would they quote for upper tailgate unless they have fooked it trying to get it open. As stated, the switch is 20 quid. The bushes are a constant with these cars, and had you paid £1100 for LR warrantee, it would probably been covered. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #425513 Wed May 28 2014 9:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

They will have quoted a new glass, as the wiring runs down the inside of the rubber bonding on each side of the glass IIRC. Quite common for breaking internally

And warranty will not cover wiring repairs Rolling Eyes

It can be overlaid with a new wire, and spliced into the loom to cure your issue Thumbs Up

Bushes will not be covered, due to wear and tear.

The joys of warranties Rolling Eyes

Post #425515 Wed May 28 2014 9:18pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

The OP is saying arms, not bushes.

FWIW I had bushes replaced under LR Approved (not Select) extended warranty without quibble. I also advised a member on here to stand his ground and quote my experience to the dealer/warranty company when he was facing some resistance. They agreed in the end and warranty paid for his bushes too. However, if the car has any gaps in service history or something is non-standard then that's a different story.

Post #425517 Wed May 28 2014 9:44pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The arms will have been quoted as it's quicker (and hence cheaper at a LR dealership) to replace the bushes by just changing the entire arm.

I had the lower arms refused on my Select warranty too. They had previously replaced anti-roll bar bushes when it was the Approved warranty. Select doesn't give the same coverage sadly.

I think the dealer is taking the Censored about the rear switch. I reckon they haven't even looked at it and just said "screen needs replacing" knowing that the warranty doesn't cover glass. I had the same problem when my rear demist didn't work. They said "replace the screen" and gave me the number of a local firm who do vehicle glass replacement! I cleaned up the plug in the loom and it cured the issue.

I bet they haven't even looked at the switch itself. I replaced mine last weekend with a genuine LR part for £25 and 10 minutes of my own time. Be worth looking at it yourself before you go any further.

In defence of the Select warranty, it did pay for a new rear diff for me last year which would have cost more than the warranty cost me. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #425523 Wed May 28 2014 10:12pm
Chomega

Thanks for the replies guys.

So the general feeling seems to be that I've got no chance getting the arms covered but the tailgate release could be done myself. However I'm totally inept when it comes to electrics ("splice into the loom" - Rolling with laughter ) so honestly, how easy is the switch replacement?

Post #425529 Wed May 28 2014 11:15pm
V8SC

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Tailgate switch is easy to replace....I managed it and I'm no mechanic Embarassed

I think there is a guide on how to do it on here somewhere ?

Good luck Thumbs Up Carl

Post #425532 Thu May 29 2014 12:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

You should replace the switch yourself, If it fixes your problem, i would be asking your dealer why they didnt replace this before saying you need a new tailgate

Post #425540 Thu May 29 2014 6:25am
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Chomega wrote:

So the general feeling seems to be that I've got no chance getting the arms covered but the tailgate release could be done myself. However I'm totally inept when it comes to electrics ("splice into the loom" - Rolling with laughter ) so honestly, how easy is the switch replacement?
These switches are a alloy hinge behind the rubber cover,under the number plate bezel. when pressed the hinge pushes against a electric micro switch. The hinge gets corroded and does not move,so does not move the micro switch. I cleaned the corrosion off mine and gave it a good dose of WD40. Works perfectly now. But as others have said a new complete switch is about £25 on Ebay itisme

Post #425546 Thu May 29 2014 8:18am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Chomega wrote:

You remove 8 screws from the trim panel that holds the switch and number plate lights. You lift off the trim panel that sits below the rear screen. This needs to be moved upwards slightly towards the roof as you remove it. You then unplug the switch - there is a catch that you press down as you unplug. Easy and obvious. The switch is removed by pushing in two "wings" (one on each side, do one move switch, do the other). Click the new switch in to place ensuring the wings are fully engaged. Reconnect the plug. Replace trim panel and fit the screws. Thumbs Up

The screws are torx (T15 I think) by the way. (They have a star shape instead of the usual slot or cross head) 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #425549 Thu May 29 2014 9:12am
Chomega

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I've just been out to look at this, but, being the mechanical illiterate that I am, I think I'm missing something!

I suspect the instructions assume I can open the glass tailgate, but I can't. Therefor I can't see any screws that give this access. In this situation, is the only open to lever (and probably break) the switch unit out from the outside? I was hoping to at least heat look at it and try sandpaper and wd40 before buying a new one.

Apologies for being dumb!

Cheers.

Post #425887 Sun Jun 01 2014 5:41pm
Chomega

Alternatively, is there any OTHER way to open the tailgate glass?

Post #425888 Sun Jun 01 2014 5:46pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Buy a new switch
Pop old switch out the hole
Unplug old switch, and plug in new switch

Check to see if it works.
If it does work, clip the new switch back in

If it doesn't work, then it is a wiring issue

Post #425892 Sun Jun 01 2014 6:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>