Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil top up question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

bunnyman

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Oil top up question

Hi all,
I got my new MY2011 3.0 TDV6 HSE in March and have so far covered 4k miles. Checking the engine oil level via the OBC it appears I still have nearly 3/4 oil left and no need to top up as yet. This has surprised me so I was wondering if this was both normal and accurate!?
Assuming I will have to top up at some point can anybody recommened a good online site to buy the right engine oil?
Cheers.

Post #304895 Mon Jul 04 2011 10:36am
mse

United Kingdom 

A few searches would yeild your results.

Accuracy - its apparently reasonably accurate...there isnt any other way to check it so ermmm you need to rely on it (and be accurate yourself)

You will struggle to buy the oil from anywhere as its a special spec (no not viscosity eg 5w40) - your only options are a dealer (Jag or LR) and get the correct make or opie-oils and get the incorrect brand but still the right spec

Finally if you read the hand book it will tell you about topping up the oil - the display tells you how much to add, which i deduced makes it bloody hard to guess how much to put in. Mines been on 3/4 since the second day of having it...must check it again actually - it can be a pain not having a dipstick

hope that helps Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #304911 Mon Jul 04 2011 1:02pm
Portman Len

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I also picked up a new 2011 MY Sport in March, and at hand-over, my dealer advised me that I shouldn't need to top-up oil in between services....

Just checked, and I am three-quarters full so sounds about right.

Cheers,

Post #304912 Mon Jul 04 2011 1:30pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Portman Len wrote:
I also picked up a new 2011 MY Sport in March, and at hand-over, my dealer advised me that I shouldn't need to top-up oil in between services....

Cheers,

Very niave thing for a dealer to say, especially on a new car and given the handbook say almost the opposite!

I try not to listen to dealers anyway Thumbs Up Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #304916 Mon Jul 04 2011 1:57pm
Portman Len

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

mse wrote:
Portman Len wrote:

Cheers,

Very niave thing for a dealer to say, especially on a new car and given the handbook say almost the opposite!

I try not to listen to dealers anyway Thumbs Up

I did think that at the time, but who am I to question. Next time I'm at the dealership I may buy a litre just to be on the safe side though...

Seem to recall that somehwere on the engine bay it states the recommended oil (I'm sure it's Castrol) but a quick search on Castrol's own website refers you back to the main dealer!

Post #304922 Mon Jul 04 2011 2:15pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Portman Len wrote:
mse wrote:
Portman Len wrote:

Cheers,

I try not to listen to dealers anyway Thumbs Up

I did think that at the time, but who am I to question. Next time I'm at the dealership I may buy a litre just to be on the safe side though...

Seem to recall that somehwere on the engine bay it states the recommended oil (I'm sure it's Castrol) but a quick search on Castrol's own website refers you back to the main dealer!

Do a search on here and/or read you manual - the correct spec is in there. You will not be able to buy it retail on the high street or from a trade motorfactors when in the trade as i found out!

Apparently buying the oil is cheaper at a jag dealer than an LR one - but then the dealer just gave me the oil. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #304924 Mon Jul 04 2011 2:28pm
oldcro

Scotland 

Check here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68975-shell-he...e-oil.aspx

for the correct oil spec.

I've only done 2,400 miles and the oil level has not moved below 3/4 full since new. When checking the oil level make sure engine is up to temperature and wait 15 minutes. Check again after another 5 minutes and if level is higher repeat again after another 5 minutes until level stabilises.

Synthetic oils expand a lot more than mineral oils when hot, so checking with engine cold may show say 1/4 level and topping up to say 3/4 level will overfill the engine.

Post #304962 Mon Jul 04 2011 6:22pm
shepp

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

check my sc regular for oil consumption, , ive never had to top it up, either it barely uses any oil at all, or it suffers water dilution through condensation, which is the most common
ive had manny japaneese cars that have used up to 1/2 litre every 1000 miles, but they were desinged that way.

Post #304965 Mon Jul 04 2011 6:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1