RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L461) > online data pack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rsr

United Kingdom 
online data pack

My motor is coming up to 12 months old, I've had an email to say the online data pack is up for renewal. I'm not fully sure I've made the most of it and if it's really needed. It says it's needed for Alexa and streaming services. Any time I've used Alexa and Spotify etc I've had the phone with me so not sure where the usage is from. Is anyone able to say if Alexa doesn't work without the data plan?

Thanks

Post #644109 Fri Sep 06 2024 3:35pm
scrumps

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I’ve had the same e-Mail and the renewal prices are extortionate!

My remote app says the subscription for the hotspot ends on the cars first birthday, but checking with my Incontrol account, there is no date!!

SWMBO’s Defender has no date either and her car is 3 1/2yrs old.

For just the hotspot and Alexa, I’m thinking of giving it a stern ignoring @£440 for one year or £670 for two years extension.

I might investigate if a mobile data company can add the cars E-SIM to a normal data plan.

In my L494 I used to buy a 24GB/24 month SIM for about £35 from Amazon!!

Scrumps Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
2021 Defender 90 D250 HSE in Tasman with white roof.
24MY D300 AB - Verasine Blue - 😀
19MY SDV6 AB - Byron Blue - Gone
17MY D5 SDV6 HSE - Firenze Red - Gone
16MY SDV6 AB -Aruba Silver - Gone
13.5MY SDV6 "HSE Black" - Baltic Blue - Gone
10MY TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Gone
14MY D4 HSE in Scotia Grey - Gone
05 TD5 D90 CSW in Cairns Blue

Post #644110 Fri Sep 06 2024 3:43pm
Zapp79

United Kingdom 

Same here. Those renewal prices are laughable.

It didn't seem to be clear (and still isn't on the new car configurator) that the online pack and data only runs for 12 months. Everything refers to an "initial term" and for all the other stuff like remote, tracker etc, that's the warranty period - 3 years.

The online pack also doesn't show an expiry date on my app, unlike the other services, which doesn't make it obvious that it only runs for 1 year.

The owners manual refers to a "personal sim" slot, although I can't seem to find one where it's meant to be? I can't see any settings or options to add an eSim either.

If we can we just pop in a sim card of our choice if we don't want to submit to JLR extortion, that would seem a good way forward.

Post #644163 Mon Sep 09 2024 6:24pm
Chips

England 

LR retro fits Lists wifi for £150
My car doesn't have wifi hotspot enabled but does have an imbedded sim for maps/ traffic etc. Does the £150 basically allow you to use the lr sim for data FOC or would have also have to pay LR for extra data ?

I see on LR configurator wifi hotspot is £440, if that's only for 12 months it's madness MY24 Dynamic SE,MY21 HSE Silver, MY20 SQ7, MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic , MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #644164 Mon Sep 09 2024 7:18pm
scrumps

United Kingdom 

Hi,

The £440 on configurator includes the amplifier and aerial in the shark fin, so with data that didn’t seem too bad.

The renewal prices just to be able to use the car as a hot-spot (for up to 8 devices) plus the ability to use Alexa is …….ridiculous.

SWMBO’s Defender D250 is 3 1/2 yrs old and we’ve never renewed a subscription for this!

Scrumps Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
2021 Defender 90 D250 HSE in Tasman with white roof.
24MY D300 AB - Verasine Blue - 😀
19MY SDV6 AB - Byron Blue - Gone
17MY D5 SDV6 HSE - Firenze Red - Gone
16MY SDV6 AB -Aruba Silver - Gone
13.5MY SDV6 "HSE Black" - Baltic Blue - Gone
10MY TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Gone
14MY D4 HSE in Scotia Grey - Gone
05 TD5 D90 CSW in Cairns Blue

Post #644183 Wed Sep 11 2024 9:35am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Seems a bit daft having the car act as the hot spot when every modern phone can do it anyway. Just have one occupant act as the hot spot for the rest - obviously, choosing the person with unlimited data.

Although these days most people will just use their own connection as they mindlessly scroll through antisocial media in sullen silence. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #644185 Wed Sep 11 2024 9:49am
Alltalk

United Kingdom 

As a soon to be owner hopefully, this seems mad, so hotspot don't need as everyone has enough data, but looks like Alexa is £440, is it worth it ? My X3 is £70 a year to keep all the connected services going.

Post #644188 Wed Sep 11 2024 11:35am
Chips

England 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Seems a bit daft having the car act as the hot spot when every modern phone can do it anyway. Just have one occupant act as the hot spot for the rest - obviously, choosing the person with unlimited data.

Although these days most people will just use their own connection as they mindlessly scroll through antisocial media in sullen silence.

The idea is the car has amplified signal with an exterior antenna , which would make a big difference out in the sticks ! MY24 Dynamic SE,MY21 HSE Silver, MY20 SQ7, MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic , MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #644195 Wed Sep 11 2024 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1