RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > How Much Better Can a L494 or Later Be
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
How Much Better Can a L494 or Later Be

I own a 2010 TDV8 and cannot see how much better an L494 or later model can be.
Mine is quiet, has reasonably power, has no squeaks or rattles, wind noise is minimal, cruises easily at 160km/h with adequate overtaking power on top of that.
I have owned the vehicle from new and it has only let me down once, the alternator failed.
Of course the newer models will be slightly better handling, more fuel efficient but I cannot see how they are substantially better driving vehicle.
My vehicle was serviced from new by my local dealer for the first four years of ownership (during which I had numerous problems - not necessarily vehicle faults). For the last 10 years I have looked after servicing the vehicle myself changing the oil, oil filter and brake pads - nothing else.

Post #644070 Thu Sep 05 2024 10:43am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It's the classic conundrum - even if the newer vehicles are objectively and subjectively better, are they better enough to justify the not-insubstantial cost of changing. A 2010 isn't going to be worth very much even if sold privately but to replace it with a much younger vehicle is going to cost quite a bit, relative to the value of the 2010. If the subjective improvements are worth that cost to you then it's worth doing. If they aren't then it isn't. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #644072 Thu Sep 05 2024 12:17pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Without a doubt the L494 is an improvement in all departments, but you have to decide on the cost/benefits. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #644073 Thu Sep 05 2024 12:20pm
RRSTDV8

It might be considered a downgrade in terms of practicality for some - the under-seat storage in the L320, for example, is very useful and something I will miss when I eventually leave the L320 behind. Likewise rear seats that fold to give a true flat floor for carrying bulky stuff, tip runs, etc..

And the biggest issue for many of us is the move to ever more touchscreen-only access of essential functions. That's isn't a RRS-only issue, of course, as it's industry-wide. Censored 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #644075 Thu Sep 05 2024 2:03pm
Johnrrs

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver

I had a 2012 AB Sport before my L494 and certainly miss a few things about it. I would say it was quieter, had 2 glove boxes, rear seats fold totally flat, storage under the rear seats (not much) the parking heater had a remote control rather than a stupid app on my phone, I liked the rotary gear shift change thing. The L494 is much faster, a tad more economical I think, has more toys like HUD, park assist (even though I’ve never used it) and lots more things that I can’t remember. I’m glad I changed from old shape to new but still have fond memories of my old one. I’ve seen L494s now for £10k so a lot of car for not a lot of money.

Post #644079 Thu Sep 05 2024 4:06pm
scrumps

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I’ve had five Sports now (see list below).

Each one has (luckily) dropped just after a new model or facelift.

Each one has been better than the last - my latest L461 D300 AB being the best one yet.

Yes, there are the odd thing from previous one’s that could have been carried over ( dual view TV) but nothing that was a deal breaker.

Scrumps Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
2021 Defender 90 D250 HSE in Tasman with white roof.
24MY D300 AB - Verasine Blue - 😀
19MY SDV6 AB - Byron Blue - Gone
17MY D5 SDV6 HSE - Firenze Red - Gone
16MY SDV6 AB -Aruba Silver - Gone
13.5MY SDV6 "HSE Black" - Baltic Blue - Gone
10MY TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Gone
14MY D4 HSE in Scotia Grey - Gone
05 TD5 D90 CSW in Cairns Blue

Post #644085 Thu Sep 05 2024 6:05pm
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Yes I get all of the points above better packaging, more toys (most of which are useless). But in terms of the engine/driving smoothness, low-speed handling dynamics, etc are they that much better. I doubt not.

My car does the school run each day and goes shopping. Average speed less than 30km/h. The V8 just rumbles in the background - its not quick but then its not slow. I have driven a lot of diesels of other makes and they rev their tits of even under light throttle - why. I have had V8 Landrovers for the last 40 years. In my view if it doesn't have a V8 it's not a proper Range Rover.

Folding the back seats is nice but you have to move the driver's seat almost fully forward to make it work so that is virtually useless in most circumstances. You need to be a contortionist to drive with the rear seats down.
Room under the rear seats - There is a boot why do you need it.
Dual view TV - WTF, it's a car.
HUD - Can't people read speedometers.
Park assist - For people who cannot drive.
Heater - Never gets used - It doesn't get cold here.
Fuel consumption - Not an issue - Depreciation is a bigger cost.

When I got my last set of tires, the guy who owned the store took my vehicle out for I drive (they had problems with the wheel alignment and getting the steering wheel straight - a must have), his only comment was, that car is so nice to drive I wouldn't mind driving it all day long.

And last but not least the L494 and later all look like Hyundai's and KIA's

Post #644095 Thu Sep 05 2024 10:45pm
pfazz

United Kingdom 
Just a heads up.

Afternoon folks, Just returned to the Range Rover fold after a brief flirt with Audi. I come with a word of caution. Picked up a 2021 Sport HSE Dynamic in as new condition 2 days ago. so im sat in the car with the engine running getting familiar with all the toys and its time to finish and go inside. Before i have a tracker fitted i thought i would utilise a steering wheel lock for a bit of secuity so i fitted it and removed the key. Time to go so press the start button to stop engine which immediatley motored the wheel upward and broke the windscreen with the arm of the steering lock. To say im sick is putting it mildly.
Lesson learned. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #644137 Sun Sep 08 2024 1:48pm
JDPRRSUK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Ouch - so sorry for you. Hope the new windscreen fix all goes smoothly

Post #644149 Sun Sep 08 2024 9:49pm
RRSTDV8

Meiang wrote:
I have had V8 Landrovers for the last 40 years. In my view if it doesn't have a V8 it's not a proper Range Rover.

The majority of Land Rovers and Range Rovers ever produced are not V8s, so...not sure of your point. Having said that, I did have the TDV8 and it's a great engine. Always happier and most reliable when doing decent miles each day - when I was doing 30k miles a year it was very happy.

Quote:

Folding the back seats is nice but you have to move the driver's seat almost fully forward to make it work so that is virtually useless in most circumstances. You need to be a contortionist to drive with the rear seats down.
Room under the rear seats - There is a boot why do you need it.

I'm 6ft1in and have the seat basically fully back normally. I have to move the seat forward a little but it's certainly not "almost fully forward" and is still driveable.

The space under the rear seats is great for stuff like tyre inflator, jump leads, tow rope, fire extinguisher - stuff I don't want rattling around in the boot, taking up room. If that's not stuff you want to carry then great. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #644151 Sun Sep 08 2024 11:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1