RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Key replacement options that won’t break the bank?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Devonian

United Kingdom 
Key replacement options that won’t break the bank?

When I bought my 2018 RRS recently it only came with one key unfortunately. My local main dealer quoted me £800 for a replacement key. Once I picked myself off the floor I tried a few local independent firms who said they couldn’t make one due to the type of key LR started using in around 2018.

Does anyone know of anyone (ideally in the South West) who could produce me a spare key at a good price? Any help would be really appreciated.

Post #643690 Sun Aug 11 2024 8:28pm
JonnyCJ

United Kingdom 

My second fob isn't working. I've replaced the battery etc and it's still not working.

Luckily I have key replacement with my RAC cover, so going through the very easy route of getting a new one. I have to upload V5 and certificate of insurance and they then send out a locksmith. He'll no doubt confirm it's LR replacement only and it'll then be over to LR to sort.

Your car will probably have come with 2 keys initially, so one appears to have been lost. If you have breakdown cover with key replacement it should step in and sort you out.

The LR software can show how many keys are coded to the car and then simply delete the missing key, so it no longer works and assign a new key, which they will programme, cut etc.

I'll report back on my experience, but hopefully it's useful info.

Let us know how you get on (assuming you have key cover).

Post #643881 Thu Aug 22 2024 1:01pm
Devonian

United Kingdom 

Hi Jonny

Unfortunately I don’t have key cover. Wouldn’t be covered anyway as I bought it with the one key. It’s crazy how so many key firms I’ve contacted haven’t bothered to even respond or quote me.

I saw a firm called LR-Chip who are based in the South East (a long way from me) who are stating £200-£450 for a key on their website. They do activations and retro fits so may kill two birds with one stone. Have you heard any feedback on them on here by any chance? Cheers

Post #643882 Thu Aug 22 2024 1:13pm
JonnyCJ

United Kingdom 

No knowledge of them I'm afraid. Does your household insurance cover you for lost keys ? I always add key cover on to any breakdown policy these days, as you can often negotiate it for free at renewal time.

If your car came with two keys originally (check with JLR, although you may need to take it in for them to check) and one is lost then the breakdown co may be sympathetic to a claim for a lost key. RAC outsource to a company called Davies Group, similar to the way insurance co's outsource straight to Autoglass etc.

I'd have thought "losing" a key would be something the insurance co would need to know about anyway, otherwise what's to stop some n'er do well selling a car with one key, retaining the other and then going and half inching the motor off the drive in the dead of night ?

Post #643883 Thu Aug 22 2024 1:29pm
Karlp606

Does the 2nd key just need resyncing to the car?

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/key-sync.352248/

Post #643884 Thu Aug 22 2024 3:23pm
andygts

United Kingdom 

cost me £200 for a new key on my SVR in Leeds Current
2017 Range Rover Sport SVR
2011 Range Rover Evoque
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
2002 Range Rover HSE TD6
+ Many other non LR products

Post #643898 Fri Aug 23 2024 5:20pm
JonnyCJ

United Kingdom 

Update

Michael from wevegotthekey.co.uk turned up at 09.10. By 09.40 he’d programmed a new key and cut a new blade for it. Total cost - zilch.

I asked him about a 2018 Rangey and he said he can do that but it’s a little more involved, as it involves modules, but eminently doable.

I’d suggest giving them a call, explain the situation and see what they would quote. RAC paid them £220 all in for mine, including call out, new fob and blank blade and programming.

If anyone else only has 1 key because they’ve lost the other and has key cover with RAC or AA etc it was a very swift and pleasant experience.

Post #643905 Sat Aug 24 2024 11:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1