RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Peeling Lacquer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

zaphod

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red
Peeling Lacquer

Noticed patches of lacquer peeling off the roof of my Rangey recently - I'm tall so now notice it every day and it's really Censored me off. It's lots of little (and some not so little) blotches.

I'm going to have a stab at respraying the spoiler myself using spray cans and depending on how that turns out, might have a go at the roof too. I'd just like to know why this has happened really, especially as the rest of the paintwork is just as beautiful as the day I bought her Confused

The gallery of shame:

Post #642583 Wed Jun 12 2024 3:59pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Some colours are susceptible. Red and blue I understand.

Hopefully you can just re spray the lacquer

Post #642584 Wed Jun 12 2024 4:06pm
peterjj

Australia 

Almost impossible to make these defects disappear without completely sanding, undercoat, colour and clear.
To do a patchy repair you need to get rid of white bits of clear and clean up the exposed colour. Beware the clear is a lot thicker and tougher than the colour. The colour is soft and super thin so that it is super easy to sand through to the undercoat. Maybe only touch the colour with 2000-3000grit sand paper. Which is hard when you are trying to put a smooth edge on the transition from clear to colour. The colour will need some cleaning up because the oxidised dullness will show up after.
If you successfully get rid of the white clear, have smoothish transition from clear to colour then sand the whole panel with 600-800grit paper (see paint can for recommendation then go finer) and mask to natural panel joins. Apply a few thin coats of clear allowing appropriate dry time between coats to build up the hollow where the clear disappeared then paint the whole panel. Now sand over the repair locations with 1000,1500 paper backed by a large hard surface, idea being to sand the surrounding area down to the height of the repaired area. Sand the whole panel with 1500,2000 paper then gently buff.
Easier to wet sand, ie wet and dry sandpaper with a dribbly hose or constantly dip in a bucket. It keeps the paper from clogging.
I am not a professional or highly experienced painter but did try this same repair on my red L320, though mine was much worse. I accidently sanded through the exposed colour coat in some places so ended up sanding the whole roof and reapplying all coats (with proper paint). But the smaller bits where i didn't sand through looked like they would turn out OK. Pete
2008 L320 TDV8
2022 Hilux Rugged-X

Post #642603 Thu Jun 13 2024 1:17am
Lrstaylor

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bali Blue

I just resprayed mine it had lost paint not just clear but iv also been repairing damaged clear coat elsewhere on the car and doing some colour coding.

It's pretty simple to repair the clear coat.

I did a full base coat and clear coat rattle can respray on the roof due to missing peeling paint

Post #642606 Thu Jun 13 2024 7:50am
zaphod

Thanks for the comprehensive tips guys. I'll put them to good use. With the spoiler I was planning to just sand it until it was smooth and then undercoat, colour and lacquer it as it's only a small area... the roof I'm not sure about... there's dozens of quite big blotches and also vertical streaks of peeling above the windscreen.

That paint job looks amazing - can't even tell you used DIY spray cans - if mine comes out even remotely close to that good I'll be a very happy man!

Post #642615 Thu Jun 13 2024 4:03pm
Stacker

United Kingdom 

Ouch, hopefully you can get this sorted.

My wifes old car (not a RR) did a similar thing, it turns out it was where bird poo hadn't been cleaned off quickly enough and it damaged the paint, it just got worse over time until it started peeling!

Post #642616 Thu Jun 13 2024 7:12pm
zaphod

Bloody things must have had explosive diarrhoea if that's the case, either that or a whole squadron of them dive bombed it! Rolling with laughter

Post #642619 Thu Jun 13 2024 7:26pm
Lrstaylor

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bali Blue

I would try the spoiler 1st to practise on.
Wet sand it to flattern where the clear has blown get it nice and smooth.
1500 grade
2500 grade
3000 grade
Should give you a a decent flat surface each time you go up a grade widen the erea until you have wet sanded the complete spoiler.
Use a tack cloth mask it all up and spray your clear coat a few good thin layers with a final heavy coat.

If you have rubbed threw the base coat give the whole spoiler a few Coates of base 1st. No need for undercoat unless your down to metal.

I flat sanded my old bumper to practise on its been years since I spray painted a car.

Here it is after a light coat of clear followed by a heavy coat 10 mins later

Post #642620 Thu Jun 13 2024 8:14pm
zaphod

Thanks, I've ordered the paint off fleabay now, just need some decent weather to go with it... Laughing

Post #642637 Fri Jun 14 2024 3:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1