RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L461) > Probably saved by Ghost 2 immobiliser
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mikef

United Kingdom 
Probably saved by Ghost 2 immobiliser

My 2023 L461 D300 was broken into a few nights ago whilst parked overnight in the car park of the Forest of Arden hotel near Coleshill, Birmingham. It looked like a pro job because a hole was cut in the rear hatch. I understand that this allows the thieving scum access to the ECU and then using some kind of device, allows them to enter the car and start the engine. Fortunately, the Ghost 2 immobiliser seems to have stopped them driving the car away but judging by the trim and wiring damage on the front passenger seat side, they spent some time looking for the immobiliser. They also stole the dashcam presumably to ensure there was no video footage of them doing this. The car is drivable but some systems seem to be damaged.

The hotel car park has a barrier and CCTV and we arrived late in the evening when it was dark so I dont believe this was an opportunist attempted theft. More likely an employee of the hotel saw the vehicle and informed a local car theft gang. We found out the following day during a meeting at the HS2 office nearby then car and van theft is endemic in the area. In fact, HS2 contractors advise their staff to leave their cars and vans in a secure compound on site and go to overnight accommodation using taxis and minibuses. Just another reason why HS2 is costing so much.

Anyway, getting the damage repaired is proving a nightmare. My insurance company has told me to get an estimate from a L-R dealer but at present I cannot even get the service dept of any local L-R dealer to return my call, let alone agree a date to bring the vehicle for an assessment, not even the dealer who sold it to me.

Post #642315 Sat Jun 01 2024 6:50pm
Laurie100uk

United Kingdom 

Making me worried now 😩 did you have that guardian thing activated on the app? Would that of made any difference at all you think?

Post #642316 Sat Jun 01 2024 7:47pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

It seems that LR/RR customer service is still very low on their list of priorities, all about making a profit. Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #642317 Sat Jun 01 2024 9:50pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Laurie100uk wrote:
Making me worried now 😩 did you have that guardian thing activated on the app? Would that of made any difference at all you think?

No I didnt but then I put my phone on mute at night

Post #642318 Sat Jun 01 2024 10:10pm
bimjim

United Kingdom 

What a rubbish situation but good that the attempted theft failed. I believe the latest security updates mean that this method of theft no longer works, so it could have been that or the Ghost.

Either way, hopefully the dealer will help you to get this sorted out. 2023 P440e Dynamic SE

Post #642319 Sat Jun 01 2024 10:16pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I believe the latest security updates mean that this method of theft no longer works, so it could have been that or the Ghost.

Are these online updates or done by the dealer because my car hasnt had any recent dealer updates and neither did I know of any?

Post #642320 Sat Jun 01 2024 10:36pm
bimjim

United Kingdom 

See here https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic62007.html 2023 P440e Dynamic SE

Post #642321 Sat Jun 01 2024 10:39pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Thanks. I am uttering a lot of F words typing this but are you saying this update could have stopped the thieving scum accessing my car in the way that they did? I've just checked my car using your link and there are 2 updates outstanding but I have received no contact from L-R or my dealer about them. And there is nothing on my Incontrol account about updates either

Post #642322 Sat Jun 01 2024 10:50pm
bimjim

United Kingdom 

That’s not good, as I’ve had emails, app alerts etc. to tell me about the updates. I do keep an eye on such things though, hence me flagging the linked update within a day of it being released.

On the plus side, the Ghost almost certainly saved you here. 2023 P440e Dynamic SE

Post #642323 Sat Jun 01 2024 11:02pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Yes looks like the Ghost did save me but, just to be clear, are you saying that the latest update would have stopped them accessing the car and starting the engine via the opening they cut in the boot?

Post #642324 Sat Jun 01 2024 11:23pm
bimjim

United Kingdom 

That’s my understanding, yes. 2023 P440e Dynamic SE

Post #642325 Sat Jun 01 2024 11:28pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

F***, f***, f*** thats damned unlucky then because I do read this forum regularly and I would have seen your post

Post #642326 Sat Jun 01 2024 11:34pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Have you tried ringing LR Assist?
They may be able to get you a replacement car and have it recovered to a dealer. I don't know if it's dependent on how mobile the car is or what systems are unavailable/safety issues. It's worth a call.

Post #642332 Sun Jun 02 2024 9:53am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Excellent idea thanks

Post #642334 Sun Jun 02 2024 10:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1