Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Engine Seized @150k
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tedi

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Stornoway Grey
Engine Seized @150k

Hi all,

I know this is an all too common occurrence, but I'm just wondering if anyone had similar issues which were not down to the cam belt tensioner or oil pump?

Approx 6-7 weeks ago I was driving my TDV6 RRS doing ~40 miles an hour, I pressed the accelerator to switch lanes and just when the turbo was about to kick in I felt a thud and the engine immediately stopped. At first I thought it felt like a gearbox issue, but I was lucky to get pulled in without causing an accident.

It turns out that the engine is seized solid and it appears to be caused by the crankshaft bearing failing. I contacted landrover and went through their customer services department. Just got word that they won't be offering any goodwill towards a replacement due to the high mileage. I argued that 150k wasn't excessive, but its not looking too good.

Has anyone had a similar fault? Its a 2007, V6 model. FSH with landrover, and it literally had the 150k service a few weeks earlier! My local dealer has serviced it throughout and has carried out the investigation work for LR, but it has taken a long time to get it to this point!

Cheers.

Post #391040 Tue Aug 06 2013 12:05pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear about yet another one - loads of these on the D3 forum - all the same type of failure and most are 2007MY, I would have a stronger word with JLR.

Perhaps PM liam@landrover for some assistance. Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2776
paul@advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #391061 Tue Aug 06 2013 3:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beancounter_74

England 

^^^ Was going to say the same, cntact Liam and maybe drop Simple1 on here a PM as he had A LOT of dealings with LR over his recently departed TDV8 Thumbs Up

Hope you get it sorted Smile ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #391062 Tue Aug 06 2013 3:26pm
tedi

Thanks guys for the help.

I had escalated it within the LR customer service department but have been advised today that they believe the 150k miles is deemed 'fair mileage' and basically is reasonable to expect to have to replace the engine after such mileage. Shocked

I wish I knew that before I bought the vehicle in the first place and spend ~£10,000+ maintaining it over the last 6 years. If I knew it was only going to last this long I wouldn’t have bothered spending that much maintaining and servicing it.

However, they have kindly offered me a token discount off the price of a new vehicle – which I happily declined: once bitten, twice shy!

I would be interested to hear what others in a similar situation have done and how did it work out for you.
As I see it, my options are:
- Pay the £7000 for a new engine, and keep the vehicle.
- Pay the £7000 for a new engine and sell it on. Value: ~£10,000 approx.
- Take a chance on a 2nd hand engine if I can get one and sell it on shortly afterwards. Value: ~£8/9,000 approx.
- Sell it as is at the moment. Value: ~£5,000 approx.

Finally, anyone have any recommendations for a more economical and reliable replacement – suitable for a family, decent on long journeys, preferably a 4X4?

Post #391254 Thu Aug 08 2013 3:23pm
Beancounter_74

England 

tedi wrote:

Finally, anyone have any recommendations for a more economical and reliable replacement – suitable for a family, decent on long journeys, preferably a 4X4?

Can't really comment on the other bits, but in regard to your last question, I'm seriously looking at an Audi SQ5 currently and have the dealer putting together some numbers for me. Shocked
Not an RR admittedly and slightly smaller, ....BUT....amazing performance, better fuel economy, not many around.....I'm seriously tempted Confused ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i

GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )

Post #391257 Thu Aug 08 2013 3:43pm
tedi

I haven't actually seen a real-life Q5 yet, but will check them out.

I've an A4 already and don't think you could beat Audi for reliability. I took a Q7 for a test drive a few years back and it was scary how good the handling was. That was what actually put me off - it felt too much like a car and you could forget you were driving a large 4X4.

Post #391262 Thu Aug 08 2013 3:59pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Google SQ5 and look at some of the videos, performance is sublime for a 4x4, fastest diseasel I believe Wink ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i

Post #391264 Thu Aug 08 2013 4:11pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

tedi wrote:

As I see it, my options are:
- Pay the £7000 for a new engine, and keep the vehicle.
- Pay the £7000 for a new engine and sell it on. Value: ~£10,000 approx.
- Take a chance on a 2nd hand engine if I can get one and sell it on shortly afterwards. Value: ~£8/9,000 approx.
- Sell it as is at the moment. Value: ~£5,000 approx.

I'd be minded to replace the engine and keep the vehicle. At least you have a known vehicle thereafter.

As for a replacement vehicle, how about the Cayenne? Or the Touareg if you want a cheaper option. The Q5 has an annoying off set pedal placement which might affect long journey comfort. If you're after something in the Q5 size range, how about the VW Tiguan? Again, a cheaper option.

If you want a good family vehicle with 4WD capability for less favourable conditions, how about the Skoda Superb Estate 4x4. Loads of kit, decent fuel economy and huge space for all the family. We have an old Octavia estate and the rear seats have better legroom than my RRS. With the rear seats folded down, the load bay is massive. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #391274 Thu Aug 08 2013 7:27pm
H16UUP

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

Keep it & put a new engine in it. You've been unlucky, but these are great cars. Nothing else has the presence of a Rangie.

Depreciation on vehicles is what kills you. More than servicing costs. Work out how much you'll lose if you trade it in. If I sold my lovely '06 TDV6 now, I'd lose £10k on what I paid for it 3 years ago. Crazy!

Anyway, back to my toolkit and garage Laughing 2006 TDV6 SE, Zermatt Silver

Post #391364 Fri Aug 09 2013 11:54pm
tedi

Thanks guys for the help & info.

I think my only real option is to try to put a 2nd hand engine in it. Got a quote for £9,000 plus VAT for a new one so don't think I'll be stretching to that.

Although rare, there seems to be one or two floating around but will cost about £3k plus fitting.

Depending on the condition, I'll decide then whether to sell it on or endure another few years.

Post #392511 Thu Aug 22 2013 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1