RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Sell now or wait - TDV8 HSE?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jdwoodbury

Sell now or wait - TDV8 HSE?

I expected to keep my 2008 TDV8 HSE for some time but I am in the rather fortunate position that I should be getting into a new model towards the end of the year. My question is though should I sell the TDV8 now or wait until the start of next winter, I have no idea what the depreciation curve will be over the next 8 months or so. I do have finance on the car and would be looking to take the equity out of it to find the deposit on the new one, I normally sell privately to get the best deal. I suppose the car has about 8k in it currently if valued at about £29k (low mileage with LR warranty and immaculate).

So the big question is what will a car like this be loosing each month in depreciation? I can then factor that in when I decide to exit, personally I would like to run it until the end of the year as it is a cracking car, but it has to make financial sense.

Post #334062 Mon Feb 27 2012 9:01am
rrsboy

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

sell, winter thingy mostly a myth Whistle

elephant in the room is a possible Euro crisis in the next 8 months. If the impact on RRS prices is anything like January 2009 (after Lehman went pop) then your car will be worth approximately £12 Laughing ============
2010 TDV8 HSE - ooo laa laaaaaaaaa
2007 TDV8 HSE - superb car and very reliable
============
2012 - dearly departed, sadly missed.. to return in late 2013 with a new TDV8!

Post #334066 Mon Feb 27 2012 9:37am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

If depreciation is your thing, can't see why you would get out of one to wait to get into another (newer) one?

Post #334069 Mon Feb 27 2012 9:44am
jdwoodbury

Supacat wrote:
If depreciation is your thing, can't see why you would get out of one to wait to get into another (newer) one?

Its more a question of taking the equity out of the car rather than see it dissolve away, if I continue to make finance payments and still see my overall equity eroding I dont want to have to find more money than expected at the end of the year. The newer car will of course loose more money but I am planning my finances accordingly and I expect to hold onto it for a significant amount of time softening the overall loss.

Post #334072 Mon Feb 27 2012 10:27am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

What are going to run around in if you sell the sport now and not replace it till the end of the year?

Post #334074 Mon Feb 27 2012 10:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRS-Spy

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I would guess that your car will be worth around £22k in December for a private sale (approx. £500 per month in depreciation but could be a bit more).

If you look in the For Sale section, there is a silver 58 reg HSE with low mileage for £25.5k so your current valuation might be on the high side Wink Proud owner of a 2008 TDV8 HSE.....and an Audi A3 2.0T DSG Cab and a Porsche 911 Turbo (Mercedes W208 320 CLK and Mercedes W124 E220 Estate now gone)

Post #334090 Mon Feb 27 2012 12:14pm
jdwoodbury

Ady 555 wrote:
What are going to run around in if you sell the sport now and not replace it till the end of the year?

I have access to other cars so thats not an issue

Post #334092 Mon Feb 27 2012 12:24pm
jdwoodbury

RRS-Spy wrote:
If you look in the For Sale section, there is a silver 58 reg HSE with low mileage for £25.5k so your current valuation might be on the high side Wink

Really I did not see that, looking at Autotrader puts them all at about £27-£28k for a 2007, if I could sell at £25k at the end of the year I would be happy (but would have no warranty then which would be attractive to buyers)

Post #334093 Mon Feb 27 2012 12:29pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

If thats the case then sell now, then you can save on your payments, save on depreciation, and save a bit on fuel, insurance and maybe tax. Thumbs Up

Post #334096 Mon Feb 27 2012 12:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRS-Spy

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

jdwoodbury wrote:
RRS-Spy wrote:
If you look in the For Sale section, there is a silver 58 reg HSE with low mileage for £25.5k so your current valuation might be on the high side Wink

Really I did not see that, looking at Autotrader puts them all at about £27-£28k for a 2007, if I could sell at £25k at the end of the year I would be happy (but would have no warranty then which would be attractive to buyers)

There is often a difference between the advertised price and the final sale price.

Not many people will pay £27-£28k for a 2007 car. Proud owner of a 2008 TDV8 HSE.....and an Audi A3 2.0T DSG Cab and a Porsche 911 Turbo (Mercedes W208 320 CLK and Mercedes W124 E220 Estate now gone)

Post #334105 Mon Feb 27 2012 1:16pm
gilford

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

If I were you I'd sell now, the difference in money between the old a new "interior revision" is getting smaller and most will opt for the new style which in effect will make yours worth less.

I sold my HST last month for £34k so if yours is a good one there are people out there willing to pay for it Wink

Post #334113 Mon Feb 27 2012 2:42pm
c76jon

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Not all cars are equal yet people just quote a year and a mileage and all of a sudden they must all be worth the same.

This simply is not the case.

Particuarly nice RRS are hard to find and most and I mean most are in a terrible state.

If you have a very very claen straight car that has not been abused and has no stories you will fetch strong money for it.

There are people out there that will pay strong money for a really realy nice car no matter what this book 0r that book says.

So many times I have sold cars that are immaculate and been told you will never get that money for it etc etc only to end up with people fighting on the drive .

John

Post #334136 Mon Feb 27 2012 4:35pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

c76jon wrote:
Not all cars are equal yet people just quote a year and a mileage and all of a sudden they must all be worth the same.

Particuarly nice RRS are hard to find and most and I mean most are in a terrible state.

If you have a very very claen straight car that has not been abused and has no stories you will fetch strong money for it.

There are people out there that will pay strong money for a really realy nice car no matter what this book 0r that book says.

So many times I have sold cars that are immaculate and been told you will never get that money for it etc etc only to end up with people fighting on the drive .

John

+1 I have never had a problem selling any of my motors and they always sell to the first person that come to view, Its all down to how you care and look after your car and DONT go over the top modifying it, remember less is more Thumbs Up

Post #334137 Mon Feb 27 2012 4:42pm
gilford

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

c76jon wrote:

John

This is so true! I was actually a bit worried when advertising mine as some had lead me to beleive my price was way too high. In actual fact I could have sold the car 3 times over in the space of 2 days Laughing

Post #334138 Mon Feb 27 2012 4:43pm
jdwoodbury

That is good to hear, mine is very well presented, has lots of work done recently (tyres all round, brakes, arb etc) that I think it is worth it.

Post #334150 Mon Feb 27 2012 7:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1