RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > cruise control - to ACC or not
Do you prefer normal cruise control or the ACC (adaptive)?
prefer normal
22%
 22%  [6]
prefer adaptive
48%
 48%  [13]
would like to be able to choose
29%
 29%  [8]
Total Votes: 27

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rrsboy

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
cruise control - to ACC or not

Do you prefer standard cruise control or the ACC automatic cruise control (bearing in mind you can override with the accelerator without cancelling the ACC). Lots of split opinion so thought I'd see what popular consensus is. ============
2010 TDV8 HSE - ooo laa laaaaaaaaa
2007 TDV8 HSE - superb car and very reliable
============
2012 - dearly departed, sadly missed.. to return in late 2013 with a new TDV8!

Post #329358 Tue Jan 24 2012 7:58pm
sherlock

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

It depends what the driving conditions at the time are. Sometimes I love it and others I hate it. Main gripe is the delay in returning to set speed once slowed down by the ACC especially if to return to speed I pull into an outside lane to avoid the slower car. TDV8 HSE, Remap (+45 BHP + 100 Nm), Taylored sport exhaust system by Pipe Werx
20" HST alloys, Privacy glass, Side steps, Xenon Adaptive Lighting, Adaptive cruise control

Post #329360 Tue Jan 24 2012 8:15pm
RRS-Spy

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

ACC is a great addition.

I have had many cars with Cruise in the past but never used it as much because traffic flow meant having to keep braking and then resuming which was a pain.

The ACC works like Cruise should have from the start....set it and forget. No need to keep braking and resuming Proud owner of a 2008 TDV8 HSE.....and an Audi A3 2.0T DSG Cab and a Porsche 911 Turbo (Mercedes W208 320 CLK and Mercedes W124 E220 Estate now gone)

Post #329361 Tue Jan 24 2012 8:16pm
oldcro

Scotland 

sherlock wrote:
It depends what the driving conditions at the time are. Sometimes I love it and others I hate it. Main gripe is the delay in returning to set speed once slowed down by the ACC especially if to return to speed I pull into an outside lane to avoid the slower car.

Just press and release the accelerator pedal, that should tell the car it is OK to go and accelerate up to set speed. This used to work on the Mercedes I had before the RRS. I think the delay is a safety function, imagine the car in front had slowed before joining a roundabout. The ACC would not see a car with right of way approaching from your right, so fast acceleration would be the last thing needed.

Just remembered: If the front wheels are not pointing straight ahead this also slows the initial acceleration rate.

Last edited by oldcro on Tue Jan 24 2012 10:30pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #329366 Tue Jan 24 2012 9:05pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I like ACC. Had cruise before and not used it much because it's a pain in traffic having to keep turning it back on if you need to brake - which you often do. Adaptive solves that problem. If you need to, you can still give it some throttle to get back up to speed after a slow down episode. I also use the throttle to soften braking if I can see that the gap is ok but the system thinks it should brake hard. Nice little trick that.

I often change the cruise gap as I'm driving to suit conditions too, which is useful. Usually I'll set a high speed on the the cruise and then adjust the gap as conditions change.

And it's a real safety feature if you've got a car full of people and get drawn in to a conversation - it's a great "extra pair of eyes" on the road ahead. Shouldn't need it, of course, but none of us is perfect Embarassed

I'm quite surprised by how hard the system will brake too, and that it will take you right down to almost walking speed before requiring you to get back on the pedals.

One thing I've always wondered - does the system illuminate the brake lights when its braking? I assume/hope it does but never had chance to check. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #329382 Tue Jan 24 2012 10:02pm
Mr H

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I personally like the acc, but just wish it was a little more progressive shall we say. It seems to wait and then it's a little too fierce with the braking, unnecessarily so.

Similarly when the road clears it jumps on the power a little to heavily.

Probably a silly question, but when it slows the car down does it actually apply brake lights Question Have i got the busted controller?!?!!?

2009 RRS TDV8
Santorini Black
Ivory / Anigre
Privacy
DVD & TV
Side Steps

Post #329403 Tue Jan 24 2012 11:09pm
rrsboy

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

we need Bobby for that answer!

when you pull the EPB up to emergency brake, it flashes the brake lights Thumbs Up Thumbs Up ============
2010 TDV8 HSE - ooo laa laaaaaaaaa
2007 TDV8 HSE - superb car and very reliable
============
2012 - dearly departed, sadly missed.. to return in late 2013 with a new TDV8!

Post #329408 Tue Jan 24 2012 11:17pm
Lookers Park Royal

Yes the brake lights come on if it applies brakes in addition to backing off the throttle.

ACC is invaluable on my daily commute (M25, M1, North Circular and A40 Western Ave).

James Thumbs Up

Post #329416 Tue Jan 24 2012 11:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eddiek62

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

The more I get used to ACC the more I like it. Easy to touch the accelerator when required and makes the commute much more relaxing.

Post #329535 Wed Jan 25 2012 7:26pm
kp

I had a RRS TDV8 HSE recently with ACC fitted and it was very nice indeed, just wish it was a little softer in its approach to things should we say Smile

Great when things slam on in front of you as well as it jumps on the pedal for you when the forward looking is enabled Smile FFRR Owner, SSRR engine destroyer!(*2) & Creator of SSRR Smile

Post #331099 Sun Feb 05 2012 5:11am
jdwoodbury

I must admit I can't stand it, I override it in heavy traffic as I don't like the way ACC cuts in.

Post #331355 Mon Feb 06 2012 8:43pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I sometimes find it hard enough staying awake on a long journey.... without letting the car do some of the driving...
My full involvement and participation keeps me alert....
So a resounding No from me..... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #331386 Tue Feb 07 2012 6:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1