RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Removing driver's seat - advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RonnieT

Ireland 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Removing driver's seat - advice please

I was out today chatting with an upholsterer, and I'm planning to have a little work done on the side bolster of my driver's seat - I find it way too hard, and he's confident he can replace the stiff factory fitted foam with a much softer, more comfortable material. My leg tends to rest on the bolster, so it can get a little uncomfortable.

Now, do to this (not that expensive, as it turns out) task, he needs to remove the seat.
And he's a little wary as the seat has built-in airbags.

His solution is simply to disconnect the battery, and he's pretty sure
A) that'll be enough to stop the airbag accidentally getting the messsage to fire, and
B) all the connections to the seat will be a simple plug.

Naturally, I'm not so sure, so looking for any advice from anyone who's taken a seat out of a RRS, 2005 era.

Will disconnecting the battery for a day not cause all sorts of electronic issues with the rest of the car ?
Are there simply plugs beneath the seat ?
I have screens the headrests, and I'm not sure if they are factory fit or an aftermarket accessory - Alpine branded.
Blah blah blah...

You know the story - what are the pitfalls in taking out a seat ? Any advice appreciated.

Post #289437 Thu Feb 17 2011 4:22pm
scarey

my son replaced an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat of my FFRR and he just unplugged the cables and left the battery as is...

Post #289441 Thu Feb 17 2011 5:15pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Quote:
Before working on or in the vicinity of SRS components, make sure the system is rendered safe by performing the following operations:

* Remove the ignition key.
* Disconnect battery, earth lead first.
* Wait 2 minutes for the SRS power circuit to discharge before commencing work.

NOTE:
The SRS uses energy reserve capacitors to keep the system active in the event of electrical supply failure under crash conditions. It is necessary to allow the capacitors sufficient time to discharge (2 minutes) in order to avoid the risk of accidental deployment.
 Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #289474 Thu Feb 17 2011 9:39pm
lord Fenham

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey
drivers seat

I wouldn't try doing this at home; or if I did only after 3 pints of Guiness.

I had a friend once, few years ago who on arriving in Paris, found a couple of bars and had 17 pints of Guiness without ever going to lavatory. Used to be in Army - so he must have had a strong constitution?

And I always have a couple of days Cricket in Devon, even to this day though in my youth I played all 6 days of annual Boffins Tour; Golf in Morning - straight to Cricket in afternoon - then round the Hostelries and back to the fart hut when we could. What fun we had, old Shirley Heights Hotel and now on a Farm near Sidmouth.

We played at Budleigh one day, and we started dead early. Sort of friend of mine, Andy started particulary early and with great speed. He had 15 pints before we started at 2.30pm - then we were fielding for 3 hours. Fair amount of chaos reigned, when a batsman got out. As you can imagine..

Lord Fenham

Post #289608 Sat Feb 19 2011 5:10am
Biffa

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Airbag Warning Light Sensot Drivers Side

scarey wrote:
my son replaced an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat of my FFRR and he just unplugged the cables and left the battery as is...

Hi

I have an airbag warning light on the dash. I have been to the garage, when they put their PC on it, the light goes off and they say, 'look, we've fixed it'. When I sit in the car again the light is activated again.

I'm told that this will be the occupancy sensor in the seat, that this is a huge job involving removing the seat, removing the leather and foam, and changing the sensor.

I would be obliged if you could cnfirm how, 'bigger' job this is please and whether, I may attempt it myself.

Thank you I work and I pay tax, a lot of tax

Post #311747 Sat Aug 27 2011 4:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1