RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Dull Paintwork
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Nice But Dim

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Dull Paintwork

Owned my RRS for a couple of months now, when i purchased it i had the superguard protection and i could see my face in the paintwork but two months on having washed it using supplied superguard car shampoo the paintwork seems to be getting duller and duller, almost as if the shampoo is leaving a film on the paintwork.

Also scratches are appearing, i am sure these are not being caused by family knocks or me driving through shrubbery, is there something anyone is aware of that dealers use to temp cover up minor scratches that wears off after a few washes?

Any car washing guru's out there that can help?

P.S the car is Java black in colour --------------------------
RRS S/C, Java Black
X-Type Jag sport
LR D2 GONE
BMW 540 GONE

Post #284315 Thu Dec 30 2010 2:03am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Did you pay for the supaguard? Or was it already there? I ask as they dont last forever

You maybe using too much ratio with the shampoo, not rinsing it off etc

Also what are you using to washing, single bucket, sponge or wash mitt? What are you drying it with? Old chamois leather or a microfibre towel? Do you pre rinse the car to get rid of any grit etc

It could be that the dealer had a quick mop with a heavy filled compound and this is washed off leaving the scratches now unfilled and visible

It does sound like you need it machine polishing by a pro detailer to correct the paint, but this will remove the supaguard treatment totally

Post #284318 Thu Dec 30 2010 8:50am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:

It does sound like you need it machine polishing by a pro detailer to correct the paint, but this will remove the supaguard treatment totally

And this is not a bad thing as you can then get some proper protection on the bodywork that you can apply yourself every couple of months. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #284319 Thu Dec 30 2010 8:59am
carlos50

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I agree, supaguard is naff, get it off and get some proper polish, wax & sealant on there.

Its important that you arent hazing the existing protecttion by using dirty water (1 bucket wash) with a sponge and chamois leather to clean and dry your RRS, this will dull the finish every time.

Use 2 buckets to wash, 1 with soap and the other with water to rinse your dirty micro fibre mitt (not sponge) then dry with a drying towel and apply a good polish, then wax then sealant to protect everything.

Out of interest your not using ordinary house hold detergent to wash are you? This stuff will strip your supaguard then your clearcoat, avoid it and get something like Mequiars for example.

The supplying deaer will have used a filler polish to mask all the imperfection and you have probably washed that away now with washing and the weather. Its a common tactic but an be sorted. If you dont mind paying and want a top job get a local but recommended detailer to carry out a correction on the RRS. It will cost approx £400 for the full detail inside and out (aslong as its not in a bad way) and the results are just amazing. Go on www.detailingworld.co.uk and search range rover you should find a couple of examples of what can be acheived.

If not just make sure you wash it, dry it and polish / wax it using the correct process and the correct products.

Post #284335 Thu Dec 30 2010 11:23am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

if your interest in doing this type of thing yourself

Disco3 member NikMak was trying to arrange a tuition day of somesorts to offer advice etc

Post #284347 Thu Dec 30 2010 12:02pm
Melbop

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi, nice but dim

Iv been using Mer in my washing water for ny on 30 years with fantastic results.
After a few washes you will begin to see a high gloss surface appearing.
Great on plastics.
50 ml to a bucket of warm water.
Hose the car first,wash with a sponge then hose off.
You'll be pleased with the result.

Melbop

59 tdv8 stornaway grey. Like new Thumbs Up

Post #284397 Thu Dec 30 2010 10:07pm
Nice But Dim

Cheers everyone for your suggestions, must try the two bucket wash system, real let down when i spend so long washing and drying the car to end up with such a dull finish.

As far as the shampoo goes i, the sachets i use supplied as part of the superguarding instruct to use one whole sachet, i only use half the sachet as the first couple of times i washed the car then dried it i was seemingly rubbing soap/wax back on the car, as if the wax/polish the dealer had used had not dried or something so i bought a de-ionised water system and let it dry naturally, but thats expensive and only lasts 20 washes before becoming redundant.

Agree with the statements regarding super guard though...Cr*p, paid £350 for that as well.

Thanks for the help guys --------------------------
RRS S/C, Java Black
X-Type Jag sport
LR D2 GONE
BMW 540 GONE

Post #284413 Fri Dec 31 2010 1:04am
nickmak

Hi Nice But Dim,

I got a heads up from npinks about your paintwork problem. What I'm thinking is that the shampoo that is provided with the supaguard is actually reacting badly with the supaguard protection. This protection is next to useless when the prep work is badly done, which is quite the norm with dealers. What I suggest you do is try out a bottle of proper shampoo first such as Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner which is quite decent for a first shampoo and see if there is a problem.

You also are seeing the swirl marks on your vehicle now because your dealer had probably 'filled' up the swirl marks with a filler type polish such as Autoglym Super Resin Polish which temporarily covers up the scratches and not actually removes them.

This is just a brief explanation so if you need any help feel free to ask!

Nick Thumbs Up

Post #284414 Fri Dec 31 2010 1:05am
Nice But Dim

nickmak wrote:
Hi Nice But Dim,

I got a heads up from npinks about your paintwork problem. What I'm thinking is that the shampoo that is provided with the supaguard is actually reacting badly with the supaguard protection. This protection is next to useless when the prep work is badly done, which is quite the norm with dealers. What I suggest you do is try out a bottle of proper shampoo first such as Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner which is quite decent for a first shampoo and see if there is a problem.

You also are seeing the swirl marks on your vehicle now because your dealer had probably 'filled' up the swirl marks with a filler type polish such as Autoglym Super Resin Polish which temporarily covers up the scratches and not actually removes them.

Nick Thumbs Up

Hi NickMak

Your right, it does seem to be a reaction and yes, i think the dealer has simply done a bad job on the supaguard prep, it is becoming clearer, it would appear that when i washed my car the first time i mixed shampoo into a wax/polish the dealer had used, as i said when i tried drying the car i was just picking up soap suds and simply smearing whatever back over the paintwork, made a mess.

Will do as many of you have advised and use a different shampoo such a Mer or AutoGlym and see if the results are any better, failing that i may do as Carlos50 suggests and get the entire car done properly by a detailer.

Will update when i re-wash the car using a different shampoo and method

Cheers again Thumbs Up --------------------------
RRS S/C, Java Black
X-Type Jag sport
LR D2 GONE
BMW 540 GONE

Post #284415 Fri Dec 31 2010 1:18am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Thanks for popping in NM thought you might know the supaguard system and what's happening with the dullness etc Thumbs Up

Post #284421 Fri Dec 31 2010 8:08am
nickmak

Nice But Dim wrote:
nickmak wrote:
Hi Nice But Dim,

Nick Thumbs Up

Hi NickMak

Your right, it does seem to be a reaction and yes, i think the dealer has simply done a bad job on the supaguard prep, it is becoming clearer, it would appear that when i washed my car the first time i mixed shampoo into a wax/polish the dealer had used, as i said when i tried drying the car i was just picking up soap suds and simply smearing whatever back over the paintwork, made a mess.

Will do as many of you have advised and use a different shampoo such a Mer or AutoGlym and see if the results are any better, failing that i may do as Carlos50 suggests and get the entire car done properly by a detailer.

Will update when i re-wash the car using a different shampoo and method

Cheers again Thumbs Up

You're very much welcome! Thumbs Up

Just to let you know I bought my '05 plate Disco about a year ago and I was given a GuardX treatment which is generally the same as Supaguard. I realised that within a few weeks I was experiencing the same issues you had mentioned above. The treatment that was supposed to last quite some time had actually not done much in terms of protection and I wanted to remove this treatment to get at the bad paintwork underneath it.

I had decided to learn to detail the Disco myself as I wasn't financially ready to fork out at least 500-1000 quid for someone else to detail my D3. I went onto detailingworld.co.uk and learnt a lot within the few days there and got myself a proper starter kit which included a DA polisher and a rotary. It was a learning process but here you can see a sample of the results of my work:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I know it isn't a RRS but the paintwork should have the same characteristics so I've now gotten to know my LR paint pretty well. If you want to have a look at some of the products that I've moved on to and the processes involved, you can always visit my detailing blog at http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com/.

Hope it helps! If you need any help on detailing do feel free to drop me a PM!

Also I will most definitely be conducting a detailing workshop with another FFRR member who details cars too sometime in the spring so if you're free then do come along!

Nick Thumbs Up

Last edited by nickmak on Fri Dec 31 2010 12:46pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #284424 Fri Dec 31 2010 12:45pm
nickmak

npinks wrote:
Thanks for popping in NM thought you might know the supaguard system and what's happening with the dullness etc Thumbs Up

You're most welcome Nick! Very Happy

Nick Thumbs Up

Post #284425 Fri Dec 31 2010 12:46pm
alanad

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

[quote="nickmak"][quote="Nice But Dim"]

nickmak wrote:

I know it isn't a RRS but the paintwork should have the same characteristics so I've now gotten to know my LR paint pretty well. If you want to have a look at some of the products that I've moved on to and the processes involved, you can always visit my detailing blog at http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com/.

Hope it helps! If you need any help on detailing do feel free to drop me a PM!

Also I will most definitely be conducting a detailing workshop with another FFRR member who details cars too sometime in the spring so if you're free then do come along!

Nick Thumbs Up

Had a look at your website - WOW, those are fantastic results! 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic, Corris Grey with contrast Santorini Black Panoramic Roof, lunar interior, privacy glass, upgraded Meridian system, cooled 18 way front seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive xenons, large screen wash bottle.

Gone: 3.0 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black, Ivory/Lunar interior, grand black lacquer finish, HK Logic 7.1 Surround, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons, heated steering wheel.

Gone: Jaguar XF Luxury, Pearl Grey, Dove Interior

Post #284432 Fri Dec 31 2010 2:16pm
Nice But Dim

Nick, beauty of a finish on your LR3, now thats what i aiming for one day, two or three notches down from that kind of finish would be great to, looked at your link to, you show off.

Aprreciate everyones input on this issue i have, thanks guys Bow down

Will take a bit of everyones advice and apply it and send pics of results, this kind of advice is sooooo valuable, what a great forum this is.

Happy New Year everyone. Thumbs Up --------------------------
RRS S/C, Java Black
X-Type Jag sport
LR D2 GONE
BMW 540 GONE

Post #284469 Sat Jan 01 2011 2:09am
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

nickmak wrote:

Nick Thumbs Up

Nick, I'd be interested in the workshop. Can you post details here as well as the D3 forum when you arrange it? Thanks. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #284498 Sat Jan 01 2011 9:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1