Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Wong fuel !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

peteadr

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Alaska White
Wong fuel !!

Please help !

After picking up my new 2.7 diesel 56 plate RR Sport I have added £60 of petrol to the existing 1/4 tank of diesel. The car was driven home 2 miles and was fine but now I need to drain the fuel tank to get rid of the petrol. Does anyone have instructions of what I should do and how I should do it please ? The car will not start so the petrol has obviously hit the system.

Any help greatly appreciated !!

Thanks
An embarassed Pete
Embarassed

Post #276659 Sat Sep 25 2010 4:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

You need to disconnect the low pressure fuel line, but that will still feed petrol through the fuel pump. Petrol strips the pump of diesel oil lubrication. Best to call the AA and pay out the £200 or whatever it costs to drain it. Don't call LRA or you'll end up at a dealer where they will want to replace the pumps and all the lines.....

Then get some diesel in and run it asap to get enough diesel in all the places the petrol has stripped it of lubricant.....

Surprised you managed to get it home TBH. Best to not start it and just call Aa/rac straight away. Even if your not a member they'll come out for misfuels but might cost a bit more than a member. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #276663 Sat Sep 25 2010 5:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
airwolf222helicopters

United Kingdom 

we have all done this at some point in our driving life ...done this in my van once

if you have a machine mart near you you can buy a syphon fuel kit for about 40 quid the hose fits in the fuel cap end and then you can pump out ..

but you need containers

if you ring AA or RAC they call it contaminated fuel and will have to take you to a depot to drain and dispose of safely

or if your confident you can get a syphon pump from screwfix that fits a cordless drill and then to b&Q for a hose that is small enought to get past the anti syphon device in filler neck bit of hassle but if you are a bit nifty with your hands you will find it breeze

if not then time to pay the fiddler and pay some garage bundles to do

good luck Thumbs Up

Post #276664 Sat Sep 25 2010 5:51pm
V8 andy

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Arctic Frost

get a electric pump,take the pipe off the diesel filter & drain it that way.then put diesel in tank conect pipes back up & turn engine over & it should start ok as a bit of petrol will not hurt a diesel.years ago we used to put a gallon or 2 in the tanks of trucks to stop the diesel from freezing & we never had any probs. Gone,,TDV8 arctic frost,black leather,colour coded handles,rear entertainment,sunroof.
1980 Rolls Royce,shadow 2 in white.
Gone 07/57 TDV8 santorino,black leather.chrome handle's/mirror's.
Gone 02/52 FFRR vogue.

Post #276666 Sat Sep 25 2010 6:09pm
V8 andy

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Arctic Frost

get a electric pump,take the pipe off the diesel filter & drain it that way.then put diesel in tank conect pipes back up & turn engine over & it should start ok as a bit of petrol will not hurt a diesel.years ago we used to put a gallon or 2 in the tanks of trucks to stop the diesel from freezing & we never had any probs. Gone,,TDV8 arctic frost,black leather,colour coded handles,rear entertainment,sunroof.
1980 Rolls Royce,shadow 2 in white.
Gone 07/57 TDV8 santorino,black leather.chrome handle's/mirror's.
Gone 02/52 FFRR vogue.

Post #276667 Sat Sep 25 2010 6:25pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Some insurance companies cover this for free, on fully comp policies, might be worth looking through the small print

Post #276671 Sat Sep 25 2010 9:53pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Wong fuel Laughing

Supermarkets selling cheap fuel now the takeaways have jumped on the band wagon

King prawn sweet and sour, fried rice and 60L of diesel Rolling with laughter

Post #276672 Sat Sep 25 2010 9:56pm
JC1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Wok the f Censored ck did you do that for Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up MY10 3.0 HSE Santorini Black, Ivory Premium & extended leather, privacy, paddles, diamond turned alloys, Ipod lead that charges, tasmods, rrsport.co.uk stickers

Jeep 4.0 High Output XJ 94 6" teraflex lift, c/w rear coils, 9500lb winch, 35" TSL super swamper boggers, safari snorkel, custom made bumpers, tom woods custom double cardon driveshaft, twin electric fans. Don't follow it..............you wont make it. The first 4 x 4 by far.

Post #276674 Sat Sep 25 2010 10:35pm
BKHK

Australia 

Airwolf, none of my family has ever done it in spite of a mixture of diesel and petrol cars. Even my wife has never done it......It's a fairly dumb thing to do, even for someone with only a small brain.

Post #276679 Sun Sep 26 2010 12:09am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Laughing @ BKHK

Rolling with laughter

Post #276689 Sun Sep 26 2010 12:01pm
HTB

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

...still, it hasn't yet cost you the £5k (yes 5 thousand) it cost me when I misfuelled my Disco (still under warranty) earlier this year - I really thought I was putting a FULL tank of Diesel in it; i didn't think I needed petrol. I blame the different coloured hoses and pumps at every garage.

It wasn't until I had driven 5 miles and the car stopped, called Land Rover Assist and set the whole recovery thing in motion that i smelt petrol.... NEVER thought I'd be caught out by it and had given other family members so much grief when they had done it (repeatedly, in the same car). So, it happens, even to blokes who think they know better.... and the dealer had 4 other TDV6's in that week also trying to run on Petrol.

Apparently you need to get the petrol out sharpish as it attacks the seals and strips the system of lubrication (which diesel amply provides). Suggest that once you're back up and running that you invest in a 'Solo Diesel' or similar so you "can't" misfuel.

Post #276709 Sun Sep 26 2010 9:05pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31664-1...a52992abba

Post #276722 Sun Sep 26 2010 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1