Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Thoughts on the UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>

Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Re: Thoughts on the UK

Supertrotter wrote:
Having spent the last 3 weeks back in the UK after a 10 month absence, and having now returned home my thoughts about the UK are:

Cold
Dull
Grey
Wet
Ridiculous house prices
Expensive etc etc

On the other hand ....

I have sampled life in many other countries and the one feature common to them all is a few Brits pining for the home country. OK, so they often express this emotion in a negative, critical and derogatory way and speak at length about the wonderful features of their new home. This serves to reassure them that they made the right decision to emigrate in the first place. But, under the surface, something is missing, and life in their new home makes many realise just what a fabulous place Britain is. What we have here is great people, great places, great variety, great history, great access to everything, stability, honesty, predictability, reliability .... Its sad that many Brits don't see this, or appreciate it, but in all honesty there is no other place in the world that can offer all of these things. Sure, some places do some of those things far better than Britain. But nowhere does it all. Just ask the millions of people who want to come and live in Britain. They know a good thing when they see one.

Each to their own, but I love it here and have no desire to live any where else. Razz RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #112691 Sat Jun 02 2007 9:39am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 
Re: Thoughts on the UK

Smarticus wrote:
Supertrotter wrote:
Having spent the last 3 weeks back in the UK after a 10 month absence, and having now returned home my thoughts about the UK are:

Cold
Dull
Grey
Wet
Ridiculous house prices
Expensive etc etc

OK, so they often express this emotion in a negative, critical and derogatory way and speak at length about the wonderful features of their new home. This serves to reassure them that they made the right decision to emigrate in the first place. But, under the surface, something is missing, and life in their new home makes many realise just what a fabulous place Britain is. WRONG

What we have here is great people WRONG - TOO PRE OCCUPIED WITH HECTIC LIVES TO CARE, great places, great variety, great history, great access to everything, stability, honesty WRONG AGAIN!, predictability, reliability AND WRONG AGAIN, NOT DOING TOO WELL HERE S.... Its sad that many Brits don't see this, or appreciate it, but in all honesty there is no other place in the world that can offer all of these things. Sure, some places do some of those things far better than Britain. But nowhere does it all. Just ask the millions of people who want to come and live in Britain. They know a good thing when they see one.YOU MEAN ALL THE FREELOADERS LIVING OFF YOUR TAX CONTRIBUTIONS? NO THANKS

Each to their own, but I love it here and have no desire to live any where else. TRIED IT, LIFE MUCH BETTER HERE! Razz

Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #112837 Sat Jun 02 2007 4:36pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

OK Super, I guess we don't quite see eye to eye on this one. Although I suggest you might want to remain just a tad more open minded to some of the good things, people and places in your homeland.

Are you really saying its 100% bad bad bad (aka wrong, wrong, wrong). If that is the case then you are indeed at risk of morphing into something like the other sad, ex-pats I couldn't wait to get back to the UK to avoid.

And if Britain really is the Censored hole occupied by trash you imply it is, why bother buying a place here...? RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #112841 Sat Jun 02 2007 5:18pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Calm down girls.., you've both made very good accurate and valid points.

Nobody's more patriotic than me and I think England is great.., BUT, it aint perfect and IS going downhill with all the parasites invading our shores and eroding our quality of life. It's not a Censored -hole and I wouldn't want to leave, but I do understand why ST has chosen a better climate and easier way of life. Good luck to him.

Now children.., be nice to each other!!! Whistle MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #112844 Sat Jun 02 2007 5:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

If i ever sell up I'd move out of town but think i would like to have a home abroad as well but would always have a place over here

Living/work in a council estate all my life has got to me now thing that's what pi** me off about this place but if i don't see some of these sort of people think i would be much happy with the UK RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #112846 Sat Jun 02 2007 5:27pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Thumbs Up MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #112850 Sat Jun 02 2007 5:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

ST and Samrticus you both say many true and valid things.
When I travel overseas I often meet expat Brits and it makes me very sad when I hear them say that one of the reasons that they left the UK was because too many foreigners were moving in and taking full advantage of all the facilities.
If only they would take a look at themselves - often they move into a "ghetto" populated almost exclusively by people from their old country with no local population living nearby and often they even import their own shops just to supply goods from the old country. They create the most awful "Little Englands/Scotlands/Wales etc (better not say Little Britians as that means something else these days!)
Just look at the awful expat Brit ghettos in the south of Spain and on the Algarve.....................

BTW I have recently had visitors to the UK from Singapore, Hong Kong, Mexico and Brazil staying and they have all made one very sad observation about Britain - does everybody hate this country so much that they have to throw their rubbish everywhere, even the most beautiful tourist spots have a cloud of litter blowing in the breeze. It's true you look even at the sides of the motorways and there is a pile of rubbish and litter lying where nobody stops, it's rubbish that people throw out of their car windows

Ducks for incoming flack............................. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #112855 Sat Jun 02 2007 6:13pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Tim - your comments reflect my experience too

Post #112860 Sat Jun 02 2007 6:45pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Smarticus wrote:
OK Super, I guess we don't quite see eye to eye on this one. Although I suggest you might want to remain just a tad more open minded to some of the good things, people and places in your homeland.

Are you really saying its 100% bad bad bad (aka wrong, wrong, wrong). If that is the case then you are indeed at risk of morphing into something like the other sad, ex-pats I couldn't wait to get back to the UK to avoid..?

St know where your coming from but have to agree with Smaticus.

Lived in many countries, some good, some bad, but they ALL have their own problems.

Having recently moved back here - love the place - although i am living in Devon so away from the big town hectic life.

Can honestly say I would not live any where else.....................................at the moment !! MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #112862 Sat Jun 02 2007 7:05pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Like Smarticus i to love this quaint quirky little country, but hate its politics, and the immigration but i will put up with it because its my country and its home Thumbs Up

each to there own some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #112863 Sat Jun 02 2007 7:07pm
Landlord

ENVOY wrote:
Like Smarticus i to love this quaint quirky little country, but hate its politics, and the immigration but i will put up with it because its my country and its home Thumbs Up

each to there own

Good God bros we agree !!!!

Dont forget my case of vino next Thursday - there had better be 12 bottles left ! MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #112864 Sat Jun 02 2007 7:09pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Don't listen to him mate just bring them to the meet! Thumbs Up RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #112865 Sat Jun 02 2007 7:11pm
Landlord

JayMann wrote:
Don't listen to him mate just bring them to the meet! Thumbs Up

JM you wouldnt know a burgundy from a claret stick to your Le Piat D'or Whistle

Thankfully he's dropping them off at mine on the way to the meet ! MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Last edited by Landlord on Sat Jun 02 2007 7:16pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #112866 Sat Jun 02 2007 7:15pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

12 bottles, 11 got broke in transit Whistle

Jay i hope you like expensive wine some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #112867 Sat Jun 02 2007 7:15pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

With my job I can live anywhere in the world I choose and the company pays the flights to get there and back from the ship. I choose to live in the UK because it is such a pleasant and generally tolerant place with no extremes of weather, even if it does seem to rain a lot, at least it doesn't get unbearably cold or unbearably hot and we don't get too many hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones/ whirlwinds! We don't have to bribe corrupt officials to get things done, we have excellent things like the NHS (even though it isn't as good as it used to be) that 99% of the rest of the world is still envious of. The UK suits me fine, despite all the faults 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #112870 Sat Jun 02 2007 7:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>