RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Upgraded Audio with Sat Nav, TV, HDD and Ipod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>

stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze
Upgraded Audio with Sat Nav, TV, HDD and Ipod

All, I've been just sitting on the side of this forum for a while now, gathering info about the RRS. Ours was delivered a couple of weeks back and I just love it. Last week, I started on changing the audio system. Basically, I wasn't going to pay the huge amounts LR was going to charge to have a proper Sat Nav fitted together with the very expensive map updates.

What I have ended up with is much more capability and flexibility than the factory system for less cost than the factory system. When finished I will have a Sat Nav, DVD player, TV tuner, HDD Media Player (Divx Movies etc), rear camera and front/side camera. The project is not finished yet as can be shown by the missing facia. Also the front camera is yet to be fitted. I’ve also added a Parrot Bluetooth LS3200 into the system. This also works very well (I’ve read about the horrors of the factory PTI).
The new head unit is an Eclipse AVN 6000. Details are at http://www.eclipse-web.com.au/avn/index.html

I’m getting a company called Precision Car Audio Engineering to do the work. I am very happy with the quality and workmanship of the job. Even stuff that you can’t see is properly finished off. Here is their web address http://www.precisioncaraudio.com.au I know this is really only any good for us in the Colonies but there are a few aussies on the list.

One of the interesting things found during the fit out was that the original head unit feed data into the info centre and well as providing the capability to change the clock. The stereo steering wheel controls (as we all know) are also linked through the head unit to change the setup in the info centre. This problem was solved ‘simply’ by keeping the head unit in the system, but relocating it. It now sits in the RHS rear cargo compartment behind one of the panels. All it does is manage this clock and data changes. The steering wheel controls still work for the new unit.

Additional amplification was also added, again hidden next to the relocated head unit.

Two TV antenna’s were added, one internal on glass on the front windscreen and one on the roof where the factory Sat Nav antenna usually sits. Performance from just the one on glass antenna is great. Since the roof antenna must come off (unscrew) for entry/exit to our garage, I have just been using the on glass around town with great results.

I’ll post the finished product images when the project is complete in a couple of weeks.

Steve

Click image to enlarge

Antenna

Click image to enlarge

HDD Media Player and IPOD in the lower glove box

Click image to enlarge

Digital TV Picture

Click image to enlarge

Nav Picture

Click image to enlarge

Original Head Unit RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #99982 Tue Apr 03 2007 6:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I assume from the gaps in the dash that the installation wasn't completed when the photos were taken....... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #100032 Tue Apr 03 2007 9:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stephenw

Yes Tim, we finished up at 2230 last Friday night. I didn't want to rush so the facia panel replacement and the front camera will go in on 16/17 April. The head unit will also be positioned a bit further back in the dash. The mounts you can see to the left and right of the unit are only temporary.

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.

Last edited by stephenw on Tue Apr 03 2007 9:30pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #100034 Tue Apr 03 2007 9:33am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Looking good Steve - all you need to do now is email this to LR - so they can improve their offerings next time Thumbs Up 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #100070 Tue Apr 03 2007 10:44am
Robbi

Guernsey 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

Good work. Hope to see more details and pics when its finished. You should post onto www.mp3car.com. The guys there would be interested. Rob
*Gone - HSE TDV8 Rimini Red + Tasmod sill plates

Post #100557 Wed Apr 04 2007 7:43pm
stephenw

Now mobile Internet via a Nokia N95

All, the facia around the AVN 6000 is now complete. I'm very happy with the shaping and colour matching. It's gotta come out again as the people who made it want to make a mould so that a number of these can be made.

Here is a picture of the finished product

Click image to enlarge

As can be seen of the screen, I've connected up my new mobile phone. The Nokia N95 has a audio/video out so this plugs straight into the AV2 input of the TV tuner box. I now have mobile internet in the vehicle. Why, just because I can.

A possible use, is mobile weather radar. But I'd just probably stick my head out the window which would be easier. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

While it was back in the shop, the rear sub woofer was replaced. The original Logic 7 one is rubbish. We ended up fitting a 'Rainbow' brand subwoofer. This, with the additional amp and work on the tail gate with sound deadening material (Dynamat) makes a huge difference. There is some bass now....

Post #107173 Sat May 05 2007 3:26am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Steve,

Did the replacement sub need any extra packaging work or was it pretty much a swap out - any pics? I am keen on changing the sub too as I agree with logic 7 one is just too flat and has no control at all

Cheers

Kaine

Post #107176 Sat May 05 2007 8:58am
The doc

United Kingdom 

Shocked

Post #107178 Sat May 05 2007 9:18am
stephenw

Kaine, the sub fitted was only an 8" one so it was mounted on a spacer. While only small in size, it makes a huge difference. I don't have any photos, but some were taken so I'll ask for a copy. I'll post when I can. Importantly, the trim around the sub didn't have to be changed. For info, the amp used to power the sub is rated at 180 watts RMS into 4 ohms.

Post #107185 Sat May 05 2007 10:04am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Thanks Steve - another question - do you have the model number of the Rainbow sub at all? Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #107190 Sat May 05 2007 1:42pm
William

Qatar 2007 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Steve,

Congrats on the install. It looks quite nice and techy.

Mine is an HSE that came without the Logic 7 (a.k.a. premium ICE) option so I do not have a SUB Sad

1) Can I just install one myself. Is it a plug-n-play kind of an install?
2) Can you recommend brands/models that would fit neatly into my car?
3) My 7 speakers are Harman Kardon. Is a SUB by the same brand better to insure acoustic compatibility?
4) Also some SUBWOOFER installation instructions would be appreciated.

Too much to ask. I know. I appreciate taking the time though.

Cheers,

William RRS 2007 HSE V8 * Buckingham Blue * Ebony Leather * Cooler Box * Sunroof * Navigation * PTI Bluetooth * Side Steps * Mud Flaps * Body Side Mouldings * V-Kool V70 Heat Insulation Glass Film * Clear Side Repeaters * Color-coded Side Vents + Grille + Door Handles + Door Mirrors * S/C Rear Decals + Door & Steering Emblems * S/C Exhaust Catbacks * Tasmod Sills * Nokia Cradle + Phone * 22" Stormers * 1st Edition Badge Very Happy

New Pics: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=11210

Post #107199 Sat May 05 2007 2:45pm
stephenw

Kaine, no sorry I don't have the model number of the sub. The web address of the manufacturer is
http://www.rainbow-audio.de/. I just checked the invoice and "Rainbow Sub" is just listed. I'll ask when I ask for the images. I've got to head back to the installer so they can take a mould of the facia as there are a few RRS on their books that want to upgrade the factory head unit. One of the local dealers in Sydney is also interested in doing a couple of vehicles. My Canberra dealer has also said that he has a couple customers interested.

For William, my car had the 'High ICE', that is the 6 stack CD headunit and the HK speakers and amp under the RHS front seat. The sub included with this system is the same as the Logic 7 system.

For mine, since I replaced the Head unit, I had a dedicated low level output from the new unit to go into the new sub amp. If you retain the factory head unit, you would have to take the high level output for the sub from the OE amp and put a converter on it to bring the levels down. This is best described here.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic...sub+woofer

I think the above thread answers your questions. Happy to answer any more but would recommend that if you go down the path of replacing the head unit, you get a professional to do it. Just a plug for those Aussie's on the list, I can recommend very highly the guys at http://www.precisioncaraudio.com.au/

Post #107224 Sat May 05 2007 10:38pm
PMG

Australia 

Hi all.. and thanks Steve for kind words. BTW we've since done couple of Disco 3s with similar AVN head unit, and had to hand-make similar dash surrounds again, so taking a mould is high on agenda here now! If only a precise alloy/resin mould wasn't so expensive to do - not enough LR upgrade business to justify I suspect.

We have many images of Steve's RRS 'under construction' plus other Land Rovers we've upgraded... we've been doing serious audio upgrades and custom fabrication for many years and have big library, but finding time to catalogue and add explanations has been impossible so far (we recently moved and are still setting up new place).

However, we're also working on getting our fully active website up, along with 'best of the best' upgrades, such as Steve's RRS, so perhaps check back ocassionally. Meantime, if any of you afficianados need specific audio or upgrade info, you can always email us (info@precisioncaraudio.com.au) and we will try to answer. Just be patient as we're all hands-on here and often up to our armpits in cars.

Regarding that RRS subwoofer upgrade, as you may know, the tailgate is shallow, resonant and 'leaky'. Hardly conducive to reproducing accurate low frequency sound - you have to wonder what MOST car and sound system engineers are smoking when they design this stuff. It's clearly about dollars 'cos it sure ain't about sound quality, and it gets even worse as you spend on the premium audio options, including Audi's supposedly OTT B&O system (Yes, we listened and RTA measured, but that's another story. BTW, my golden-eared partner reckons the H-K option stands for 'Harshly Kranking'!!).

We didn't have time for extensive custom work, however with some Dynamat damping and sealing of leaks around lock catch etc. plus the right woofer (and a bit more clean power han the HK 'amp' had) it all worked surprisingly well. We just happened to have sample of Rainbow's shallow-mount X-PLAIN 8" woofer (part number 231579) which fitted with ease, using a fabricated marine-ply spacer ring. Reasonably-priced too.

If you don't know Rainbow, they're a dedicated car speaker manufacturer from[img] Germany. In the higher-end car audiophile business they're regarded as one of the top brands now - I'd been with a well-known Japanese car audio brand for many years before this and they were our target for premium car speaker development. We stock several other brands here, but agree with many of our clients that Rainbow speakers do sound superb.

Okay, just found couple images of Steve's RRS tailgate and sub - will try to attach (wish us luck... if not, you can email as suggested). Kind regards,

[/img]
 Paul G
Precision Car Audio Engineering
66 Planthurst Road, Carlton (Sydney)
NSW 2218, Australia
T: +61 2 9547 1574

Post #108170 Fri May 11 2007 6:04am
MDP

United Kingdom 

So.... once again it would appear LR have failed to provide the best set up in the RRS Neutral

Come on Land Rover get your act together ! 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #108216 Fri May 11 2007 1:52pm
stephenw

Thanks Paul for the images of my vehicle and the info on the sub. Just let me known when you want to mould the facia. Hmmm, maybe at the same time I'll see you about some Rainbows for the doors.....

Post #108298 Sat May 12 2007 12:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>