RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Upgraded Audio with Sat Nav, TV, HDD and Ipod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

PMG

Australia 

Hi again. As you may have seen here Steve we carry a few speaker brands including Boston and Cerwin-Vega (US), some Focal (France), Alpine SPX (via Scanspeak, Denmark) plus we audition other respected 'audiophile' stuff such as Morel, DLS, Dynaudio etc. whenever we can. Until year or so ago, we'd shied away from Rainbow as we only knew them for their horrendously expensive models. But the lower-end stuff is available here now and not only has it proven price competitive, it regularly beats most others in SQ (sound quality) competitions. Still, great car sound isn't just about gear - how you install is important too. Suspect you'd be pleasantly surprised at how accurate we could get that RRS of yours to sound now with the right speaker upgrade.

To MDP, having spent quite a few years trying to get vehicle manufacturers here and offshore to acknowledge sound quality (SQ), I can assure you most of it falls on deaf ears. Engineers may do the 'research', claim high-level bench-marking and waste a lot of vendors' time, but if the audio system isn't cheap and easy to line fit during production (unless it's an extreme high-dollar vehicle) it won't happen. OEM is largely driven by bean-counters and marketers - price and brand image take precedence over what actually works (we've yet to see Bose, Infinity, Harman-Kardon, Mark Levinson etc. in any award-winning audio democars!). Unfortunately, LR seems no different - it's a shame, as with good design and minimal extra expense they'd satisfy more buyers and steal a march on their competitors too. Anyone listening yet?

Kind regards. Paul G
Precision Car Audio Engineering
66 Planthurst Road, Carlton (Sydney)
NSW 2218, Australia
T: +61 2 9547 1574

Post #108302 Sat May 12 2007 4:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

WHAT AN EXCELLENT THREAD! Thumbs Up

Although I don't really UNDERSTAND what exactly you are going on about ( Embarassed ) it made a really interesting read!

Well done to all involved, especially stephenw! Bow down Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #108333 Sat May 12 2007 1:08pm

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

PMG wrote:
Regarding that RRS subwoofer upgrade, as you may know, the tailgate is shallow, resonant and 'leaky'. Hardly conducive to reproducing accurate low frequency sound - you have to wonder what MOST car and sound system engineers are smoking when they design this stuff. It's clearly about dollars 'cos it sure ain't about sound quality, and it gets even worse as you spend on the premium audio options, including Audi's supposedly OTT B&O system (Yes, we listened and RTA measured, but that's another story. BTW, my golden-eared partner reckons the H-K option stands for 'Harshly Kranking'!!).

We didn't have time for extensive custom work, however with some Dynamat damping and sealing of leaks around lock catch etc. plus the right woofer (and a bit more clean power han the HK 'amp' had) it all worked surprisingly well. We just happened to have sample of Rainbow's shallow-mount X-PLAIN 8" woofer (part number 231579) which fitted with ease, using a fabricated marine-ply spacer ring. Reasonably-priced too.

If you don't know Rainbow, they're a dedicated car speaker manufacturer from[img] Germany. In the higher-end car audiophile business they're regarded as one of the top brands now - I'd been with a well-known Japanese car audio brand for many years before this and they were our target for premium car speaker development. We stock several other brands here, but agree with many of our clients that Rainbow speakers do sound superb.

Okay, just found couple images of Steve's RRS tailgate and sub - will try to attach (wish us luck... if not, you can email as suggested). Kind regards,

[/img]

hey PMG,

i live in miami, florida in the US, i just checked the Rainbow website and i cant seem to find the woofer that you installed in Steve's car. that being said i was wondering if it would be possible to buy all parts needed for the install and how much would you charge including shipping.

Andy.

Post #109046 Wed May 16 2007 12:13am
PMG

Australia 

Hello Andy,

Been to Orlando and Daytona Beach years ago for some car audio madness. Fun Place. Reminded me of northern Australia in some places. Good looking ladies too, but had better not go there!

We're pretty close to the Rainbow importer here and of course could probably ship right models for your RR, however, there is a distributor in USA. Apparently they're a bit low-key so we'll find contact details and post or forward to you.

BTW, the new subwoofer we've now used in RRS and other shallow space cars a few times is this one...

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/detai...art=231579

Don't let size fool you... it uses a powerful (and expensive) neodymium magnet structure to allow high power and excursion - rare in subs but common in much smaller tweeters. Has amazed us (we've also use some very large 'normal' subs for boom kids' cars).

Kind regards, Paul G
Precision Car Audio Engineering
66 Planthurst Road, Carlton (Sydney)
NSW 2218, Australia
T: +61 2 9547 1574

Post #109071 Wed May 16 2007 9:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote

PMG wrote:
Hello Andy,

Been to Orlando and Daytona Beach years ago for some car audio madness. Fun Place. Reminded me of northern Australia in some places. Good looking ladies too, but had better not go there!

We're pretty close to the Rainbow importer here and of course could probably ship right models for your RR, however, there is a distributor in USA. Apparently they're a bit low-key so we'll find contact details and post or forward to you.

BTW, the new subwoofer we've now used in RRS and other shallow space cars a few times is this one...

Don't let size fool you... it uses a powerful (and expensive) neodymium magnet structure to allow high power and excursion - rare in subs but common in much smaller tweeters. Has amazed us (we've also use some very large 'normal' subs for boom kids' cars).

Kind regards,

Nice, i love orlando. Its quite fun but i never been to daytona beach but i hear thats a cool place for vacationing aswell.

oo no wonder, i was looking under the subwoofer section haha. thankyou very much for the link.

But anyways the local shop here is really used to making theyre own custom system for the "boom kids". I just want something that will improve the bass becaue the current logic 7 system keeps bottoming out (if thats the correct term) when i play my Drum n' Bass music, Embarassed yes i love Drum N' Bass Embarassed , anyways since you have done it before i wanted to know if it was possible to probably send instructions on what to do and all parts used because i treid to explain what i wanted to do to the store owner and he gave me the impression that he had no idea what i was talkin about (giving me that "are you crazy?/$$$$$$$$$$$$$" look) and i just want this done right.

Post #109096 Wed May 16 2007 11:53am
mobile fidelity

Australia 

For the Rainbow lovers in the USA, the American distributor for Rainbow is Distinct International.

Their dealer locator is right here Thumbs Up Arrow http://www.distinctusa.com/DealerLocator.htm

Post #109839 Mon May 21 2007 2:31pm

mobile fidelity wrote:
For the Rainbow lovers in the USA, the American distributor for Rainbow is Distinct International.

Their dealer locator is right here Thumbs Up Arrow http://www.distinctusa.com/DealerLocator.htm

link doesnt work =/ James A. Cadet

07 Range Rover Sport S/C
Chawton White

Post #109853 Mon May 21 2007 6:19pm
ivery819

http://www.distinctusa.com/DealerLocator.htm
Works for me..........check your browser settings.
or maybe it was just down for a while.
Cheers

Post #110069 Tue May 22 2007 11:48am

ivery819 wrote:

http://www.distinctusa.com/DealerLocator.htm
Works for me..........check your browser settings.
or maybe it was just down for a while.
Cheers

thanks alot, it works now, maybe it was down cause my broser settings were fine Thumbs Up James A. Cadet

07 Range Rover Sport S/C
Chawton White

Post #110275 Tue May 22 2007 11:54pm
ryanoz

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

PMG wrote:
Hello Andy,

Kind regards,

I would just like to caution people about replacing the factory subwoofer. Its going to sound like crap!
It will distort easily and rattle significantly, there is no way to seal the enclosure, the metal is too thin, and
the trim will rattle like crazy. I haven't seen in PMG's post where he has made reference to this, but trust me
it will not sound good. I have exhaustively worked on a subwoofer installation several months back:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic...sub+woofer

Use a true subwoofer enclosure if you want good results, replacing the factory sub does not produce good results. 

Post #111000 Thu May 24 2007 10:52pm
stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

Ryanoz, I'm sorry to hear that your installation did not work too well. Perhaps it was a combination still utilising the high level outputs of the HK amp into LC6 (isn't it just a big variable resistor) and them amplified again into the pioneer sub. This has got to inject some distortion into the final signal.

I agree you are never going to get the absolutely perfect bass from the tailgate, but mine certainly does not rattle or vibrate at all. All I can say is the professional installation I had done works very very well. Just ask my kidney's when I turn it up a bit.

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #111100 Fri May 25 2007 10:04pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

stephenw wrote:
Just ask my kidney's when I turn it up a bit.

thats what I want Sad

must move the mod up my priorities list

Post #111102 Fri May 25 2007 10:22pm

Kaine wrote:
stephenw wrote:
Just ask my kidney's when I turn it up a bit.

thats what I want Sad

must move the mod up my priorities list

same Crying or Very sad James A. Cadet

07 Range Rover Sport S/C
Chawton White

Post #111125 Sat May 26 2007 3:47am
ryanoz

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

stephenw wrote:
Ryanoz, I'm sorry to hear that your installation did not work too well. Perhaps it was a combination still utilising the high level outputs of the HK amp into LC6 (isn't it just a big variable resistor) and them amplified again into the pioneer sub.
Steve

No this has nothing to do with it, as I discussed in my thread the sound quality of the sub in the box is fabulous. The distortion and rattling is caused from installing a powerful sub in the factory tailgate location. 

Last edited by ryanoz on Mon May 28 2007 8:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #111386 Sun May 27 2007 11:23pm

whats with the sarcasm? James A. Cadet

07 Range Rover Sport S/C
Chawton White

Post #111397 Mon May 28 2007 12:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>