RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > My new Defender too
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
My new Defender too

My stealer tempted me with a test drive in the new Defender today. I confess she feels pretty darn similar to the old defender, and pretty agricultural after jumping out of the Sport. Nothing wrong with that though, and she certainly has a few more creature comforts and a fair bit more Pep than the old TD5. There still is a lack of cabin space, particularly for your right arm / elbow, which is constantly banging off the drivers door / window.

Anyway, a creepy thing happened on my test drive. Thrashing around the lanes East of Carlisle, I swung through one village to see a mint, L reg, Defender 90, Couty Station Wagon parked up at the side of the road with a For Sale sign in the window. The chap who owns her had put the Sale sign in her window that morning and parked her on the street to see if anyone passing was interested. Stopped to take an oggle, and what we found was a totally mint, and I do mean mint, Dec 1993, Red, CSW (from new, not a convert), with only 52,000 on the clock. Every stamp in the book from new, every invoice, every MOT certifcate, 2 careful owners, never off roaded, still got original under seal / waxoyl. Totally original, except for addition of a CD player inside. Normal noisy 200Tdi, but still very gutsy and pulls like a train and corners really well for an old gal.

Simply couldn't resist it, so bought her on the spot, after a bit of haggle, for £4,400. This will be a great vehicle for dog walking, moutain biking, visits to the tip, gentle off roading and getting to w##k in the winter.

The new Defender did then feel a lot quieter, quicker, smoother and flasher, but in all honesty, the 200Tdi felt more fun Thumbs Up

Picking her up on Friday, and can't wait Razz Will now be a 4 Land Rover family - but dont forget, the fully prep'd offroader is still for sale (see http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6675.html )

Now busily deciding what toys to add on (steering guard, steel sills, all terrains on silver modulars, snorkel and possibly front winch). But think I'll leave her alone after that. When something that is this old, and still totally original, you don't want to cut her up and fanny on with her too much. Any other ideas gratefully received.

When I finally buy a digital camera and work out how to, I'll post up some pictures. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #113782 Tue Jun 05 2007 11:28pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Welcome to the four owner Landy club Smarticus Thumbs Up sounds quite smart, lets see some pics

As you say it would be a shame to Censored about to much with an original TRUCK like that Thumbs Up some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Last edited by ENVOY on Wed Jun 06 2007 12:15am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #113783 Tue Jun 05 2007 11:39pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

ENVOY wrote:
Welcome to the four owner Landy club Smarticus Thumbs Up sounds quite smart, lets see some pics

As you say it would be a shame to Censored about to much with an original motor like that Thumbs Up

Do you mean TRUCK Envoy??? Whistle MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #113785 Tue Jun 05 2007 11:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ENVOY

sorry Embarassed original post changed Thumbs Up some of my Previous cars
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #113787 Wed Jun 06 2007 12:15am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The bosses at Land Rover will be proud of you but I bet the dealer is spitting bricks that you bought a 14 years old 200Tdi instead of his shiney new Puma Engined Defender with a nice dash, decent ventilation and a heater that does something 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #113794 Wed Jun 06 2007 7:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ENVOY

Quote:
decent ventilation and a heater that does something

Tim are you having problems, my two TRUCKS both have incredible heaters and as for ventilation the wind comes from everywhere Rolling Eyes , yeah i bet the dealer wasnt to impressed with S for doing that Laughing Laughing

Try cleaning out the heater box and matrix and also flush the heater matrix out, that does the trick usually Thumbs Up some of my Previous cars
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #113795 Wed Jun 06 2007 7:49am
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Tim in Scotland wrote:
The bosses at Land Rover will be proud of you but I bet the dealer is spitting bricks that you bought a 14 years old 200Tdi instead of his shiney new Puma Engined Defender with a nice dash, decent ventilation and a heater that does something

14 year old 200tdi Defender or a brand new Puma Defender eh ?

Both vehicles are superb examples of the Land Rover makers art, have bundles of user appeal, great practicality and get you anywhere ruggedness, but in "approximately" equivalent specs :-

The 200tdi is £4,400

The Puma is £23,600

Are they really "that" different ? I'll discuss this with the wife and let you know ...... RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #113801 Wed Jun 06 2007 8:20am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

E, fresh air ventilation as you say isn't a problem - want colder aircon then open the vents under the windscreen another notch and drive faster. My 90's heater is much quicker to warm up than my RRS (even with the FBH it still takes an age longer than the 90, thank goodness for the seat heaters). I suspect like you that the heater matrix is getting clogged up - regular dunking in peaty muddy water over the years cannot have helped it - as the quantity of air coming out is gradually getting less and less! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #113808 Wed Jun 06 2007 8:41am
TJ101

England 

I normally drive a Defender/Truck, with the window down,(somewhere to stick the elbow !!) and a front vent open to equalise the cabin pressure, Can not do with the new one,, missing that already Sad

S,, sounds like you found a gem their Smile they are about !! 997 TT, RR TDV8 Vog SE 90 V8 Hybrid
www.wessex4x4response.org.uk
http://forum.innovate4x4.com
G4 RRS Gone

Post #113924 Wed Jun 06 2007 3:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1