RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > cheap Channel crossing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Roland

Switzerland 
cheap Channel crossing

Need your advice for cheapest ferry from either France or the Netherlands to the UK. My destination lies in the greater Cambridge area.

I reckon it's still cheaper and faster to just cross the channel from Calais to Dover than using the ferry from Holland to Felixstowe or Harvich, or what do you think?

Trip - in my beloved RRS - will take place the week from July 9 to 13, so almost during holiday season.

Many thanks for your help.

Roland SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #114271 Fri Jun 08 2007 2:27pm
EXPIREDDATA

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

I could have got this cheaper but I needed to travel at those times..

Going out
(local time) Standard Fare | Folkestone to Calais | Saturday 23 June 2007
Check-in time 10:20Departure time 10:50Arrival time 12:25 £105

Coming back
(local time) Standard Fare | Calais to Folkestone | Saturday 30 June 2007
Check-in time 17:20Departure time 17:50Arrival time 17:25 £103

Vehicle details
Car

on Sunday 29 April 2007 £208 RRS TDV8 HSE - Hybrid TV - Sunroof - Adaptive Front Headlights - Harman/Kardon LOGIC7 system

BMW GT

Post #114282 Fri Jun 08 2007 4:00pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I've been using Norfolk Lines, seems cheap enough. They go from Dunkirk to Dover. Last week was about £80 return travelling Wednesday lunchtime back Saturday lunchtime. I'm booked for the end of June also & thats £65 return travelling Thursday mid morning, back Sunday early evening. crossing time is 2hrs. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #114284 Fri Jun 08 2007 4:14pm
Roland

Switzerland 

Rob_J wrote:
I've been using Norfolk Lines, seems cheap enough. They go from Dunkirk to Dover. Last week was about £80 return travelling Wednesday lunchtime back Saturday lunchtime. I'm booked for the end of June also & thats £65 return travelling Thursday mid morning, back Sunday early evening. crossing time is 2hrs.

that seems to be cheap and I am going to try them. To get it that cheap I have to book a specific ferry in advance, right? What happens then if I miss that ferry, say because of a major traffic jam or something? SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #114289 Fri Jun 08 2007 4:31pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Good chap Roland, it all helps keep me employed if you travel on Maersk Line! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #114331 Fri Jun 08 2007 7:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Roland wrote:
Rob_J wrote:
I've been using Norfolk Lines, seems cheap enough. They go from Dunkirk to Dover. Last week was about £80 return travelling Wednesday lunchtime back Saturday lunchtime. I'm booked for the end of June also & thats £65 return travelling Thursday mid morning, back Sunday early evening. crossing time is 2hrs.

that seems to be cheap and I am going to try them. To get it that cheap I have to book a specific ferry in advance, right? What happens then if I miss that ferry, say because of a major traffic jam or something?

Yeah you do need to book specific crossings. We took 3 cars across on the same crossing, but came back on different ones. 1 guy turned up early & they let him on an earlier ferry, the other guy was late & they just put him on the next one. Ferries were clean, food reasonable, plenty of space. We had the Porsches & they let us park up on the deck with the trucks, which meant the cars were well clear of anything else, rather than be crammed in with the rest. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #114332 Fri Jun 08 2007 7:14pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

I was doing this trip about twice per month for the last 2 years !

Harwich - Holland was the easiest depending on your final destination by car. Good ferries, comfortable but a longish crossing

The last crossing I did was Dunquerke - Dover, cheap and short crossing but the drive from Holland, although early in the morning and light traffic, seemed to take forever, it didnt but just seemed that way (I was towing a trailer). MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #114373 Sat Jun 09 2007 11:19am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

I always do Dover => Boulogne with speedferries - its basically a no thrils ferry crossing. Takes approx 50 mins and is £20 for a car and 5 passengers each way

Kaine

Post #114473 Sun Jun 10 2007 2:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1