RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > L320 2012 SDV6 Diesel Injector Removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Carlos66

Australia 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black
L320 2012 SDV6 Diesel Injector Removal

Hi all, I want to remove the injectors, Can anyone recommend what to use to remove them,, Slide hammer or Pneumatic, OR with a little tug do they come out easily, "Think NOT.
I'm ordering injector refit kits, Do the return lines come off ok or do they normally break, ?
Any other advise appreciated.

Post #644199 Thu Sep 12 2024 6:37am
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I can usually remove the injectors with a little rotational movement and pulling up by hand. I’m not saying it’s easy, but it usually works for me. I’ve done the slide hammer fun as LR says, way more effort than a little twist and pull.

Pipes will usually come off effortlessly so don’t worry about that.

Be sure to clean down in the injector holes so the mating surface is clean. A wood rod with felt or the like glued to the end and a little brake clean sprayed on it usually gets it nice and clean in the injector holes.

Apply grease to the small return pipe o rings, they tend to get cut installing the pipes.

The return pipe clips pull up, they take some coercing, but don’t force them, unless you want to replace the entire assembly. Be sure the clips are up before trying to install them on the injectors.

Mark the injectors so you put them back in the same cylinders, unless you’re replacing them. Otherwise you’ll need to recode them, which is a pain.

You can clean around the base of the injectors where the copper seal goes with a wire brush or small pick (in case of heavy carbon deposits), but DO NOT clean around the tip. The copper seal often has to be pried off initially, I use a razor blade to do this.

Be sure to bleed the fuel system prior to starting up. Ignition on and while the pump is running hit the bleed valve near the oil filter cap. Do this a few times till no air is coming out (ignition on, quick bleed, ignition off, repeat). 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #644209 Thu Sep 12 2024 12:18pm
Carlos66

Many thanks Noexpert, I've heard that the injector pipes should be changed, Have you done this or just used the original ones, On the few ive removed on other vehicles I've never had a problem with it resealing.

Post #644220 Fri Sep 13 2024 12:01am
NoExpert

I’ve reused with no issues. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #644225 Fri Sep 13 2024 3:56pm
NoExpert

I’ll add that if I’m reusing I unbolt the pipes from the injectors only, I leave the pipes attached to the fuel rails and remove them altogether as one unit. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory

Post #644231 Sat Sep 14 2024 10:50am
Carlos66

Did you find that the injector copper seals came out attached to the injectors or left in the holes,

Post #644234 Sat Sep 14 2024 2:05pm
NoExpert

They’ve always come out with all the injectors I’ve removed. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory

Post #644236 Sat Sep 14 2024 4:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1