RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > OEM VUB503330 Cross Bars (bike carrrier compatability)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

drexal

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black
OEM VUB503330 Cross Bars (bike carrrier compatability)

Hi guys,

I recently managed to get a set of OEM VUB503330 cross bars. That would have come as part of the rails and cross bar kit from LR VUB502130.

I thought the that the LR VPLFR0091 bike carrier would fit this roof rack. But i have now realised that this carrier only fits old freelanders and 2014 onwards RRS's.

I then started looking though my old L320 brochures and discovered LR never made a roof mounted bike carrier for the L320 (only a tow var version).

Thule website don't allow you to check the compatibility of there carriers on none thule crossbars.

So my long winded question is do any of you who own the OEM VUB503330 cross bars & know of a third party bike carrier that fit these bars?

Or if you've managed to get the LR VPLFR0091 one to fit these cross bars?

Desperately don't want to order parts and them not fit. And we are going away end of next week. So kids are going to kill me if they can't take the bikes Big Cry 2012 RRS HSE 5.0 SUPERCHARGED Santorini Black

Post #642119 Tue May 21 2024 12:44pm
bcp

Are the roof bars T tracks? Centre rubber pulls out to reveal a slot?

Are the cycle holders T track or clamps for old style rectangular bars. If clamps, roof rack shops online do the conversion kit.

Post #642125 Tue May 21 2024 2:20pm
drexal

Hi BCP, thanks for replying, finally got my hands on the LR OEM VUB503330 cross bars, they are t tracks, please see images. I have also found the fitting instructions for the LR OEM VPLFR0091 bike carriers i want to buy and use on these cross bars.

It looks like they might fit, but just can't tell for sure. And seller can't give me any help, he says these bike carriers are designed for RRS 2014 onwards roof racks.

(they have T-blots, just a gamble if they will slot into the older t-tracks on the areobars) if i had more time before the trip i would order them to test and send back if they didn't fit.

Thanks again for help. I will report back if i order them and get them to fit.

2012 RRS HSE 5.0 SUPERCHARGED Santorini Black

Post #642155 Wed May 22 2024 2:51pm
drexal

sorry forgot link to fitting instructons to bike carrier.

https://accessories-instructions.landrover...r/G2017009 2012 RRS HSE 5.0 SUPERCHARGED Santorini Black

Post #642156 Wed May 22 2024 2:52pm
bcp

yup T track bars. I wouldn't bother with the LR cycle racks as they are just Thule 598s with a sticker. Pick up your racks from Halfords when they have a deal on or hit ebay.

Post #642157 Wed May 22 2024 2:58pm
drexal

L320 VUB502130 roof rack and rails & bike carriers sorte

Hi @bcp

So sorry for my rudeness in only replying now. I didn't want to reply till i had managed to get everything to work together, so i could report back in case anyone else needed to do the below.

I just wanted say thanks for your advice you saved me a lot of time and money on this.

I'll just give a rough break down of what discovered after days of research on this, this will be a unbelievably boring read for most of you, but as this is the first time i've ever had to deal with roof racks etc this was quite the ordeal seeing as i only had a few days to get clarification on which roof rack and bike carriers would fit the L320 and be able to collect all these parts to be able take all the family bikes away on a trip:

I really wanted to buy the genuine LR roof rack for the L320 (rails and cross bars VUB502130), but its incredibly hard to find for sale. I saw a couple for sale in the U.S. but they were all around £500 to £700 which i didn't want to spend and i couldn't wait for.

Incredibly a member of this forum got intouch and gave me his old OEM LR cross bars (the VUB503330 cross bars) This forum is truly incredible.

So then i just need to find the roof rails.

It seems impossible to buy genuine LR roof rails 'only' you might be able to pick up a used set on ebay if you wait long enough but i didn't have time sadly.

So i decided to go down the aftermarket route and found a set of rails only from EU AUTO PARTS, i wouldn't recommend these guys, they don't have a number you can call and over there live chat they told me this part that is advertised for the L320 2005-2013 wouldn't fit me car. But after cross referencing images of OEM rails on this forum and there rails, they were identical. So ordered them & thankfully they fitted.

The only issue is i pretty much have to use a rubber mallet to tap the cross bars up and down the rails. In the powerful uk video he has to use his palm to shift them, but i'm guessing my aftermarket rails are tighter buy millimetre's.

Then finally i just needed to find the bike carriers. Again i wanted to stick to getting the LR OEM ones this where i ran into loads of problems trying to track down the correct code for the bike carriers that fitted the LR VUB503330 cross bars as it seems LR never officially released a bike carriers for the L320. Although i did find these bike carriers (attached images below) in 2x different L320 kit brochures. Which added even more confusion as they stated codes of VPLFR0091 & LR006847 but both carriers were on top of a discovery (which i know are pretty much the same as the RRS). To add to the confusion i managed to find 3x (the amount i needed) VPLFR0091's on ebay for £90 each. But when i contacted the business selling they told me they wouldn't fit my cross bars. It was only when @bcp told me that LR bike carriers are made by Thule with a LR sticker. It allowed me to get concrete evidence that these would fit. As i had read on another forum that someone was using Thule proRide 591's on there L320 VUB503330 cross bars and buy studying images side by side of LR VPLFR0091 & the Thule proRide 591's i could see they were identical. I'm 100% sure as @bcp said also the Thule 598s will fit also as Thule make generic T-slot carriers which is what the VUB503330 cross bars have. But as i found 3x Thule proRide 591's on ebay for £50 each very close by i bought them and i can say they fit perfectly.

Please see image below of the L320 with roof rack and bike carrier. I only have 1x carrier on in this shot. Thanks to all that helped me sort this out with-in days.

2012 RRS HSE 5.0 SUPERCHARGED Santorini Black

Post #642474 Fri Jun 07 2024 11:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1