RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L461) > Steering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RabJ

United Kingdom 
Steering

I've picked up a new D300 two weeks ago and am finding the steering, especially at motorway speed stiffening up to the point it becomes tyring to drive any distance. I've had it back to the dealer who could find little wrong but did some software resetting of the steering in an effort to resolve things. Still little better. I drove a 2021 Defender before this and the steering was perfect. I have seen a few others talking about this problem but no one seems to have got it solved. Maybe its just hoe they are, but if if it is it will have to go. Any ideas?

Post #642071 Sun May 19 2024 4:36pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

What mode are you driving in? 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #642074 Sun May 19 2024 5:34pm
RabJ

United Kingdom 

Driving in comfort mode, all the aids turned off.

Post #642077 Sun May 19 2024 9:04pm
B McP

Scotland 

I have exactly the same issue in my P460E AB - at around 70 it is quite difficult to make any small adjustments. I had a similar situation on my first D5 (2017), but my second D5 (2020) was perfect. The LR mechanics did the tracking 4 times over 1 year, but never cured it.

Post #642098 Mon May 20 2024 6:44pm
RabJ

United Kingdom 

I have been chatting to a guy on a Facebook group with the same issues, and his was only sorted after the steering rack was changed. If they cant sort mine theres no way I can keep it.

Post #642104 Mon May 20 2024 9:08pm
Tizzy

England 

I leave mine in Auto with the lane assist off. If you turn L/A on the steering is very heavy, but with it off mine’s firm but fine - D300 April ‘24 reg

Post #642105 Mon May 20 2024 9:21pm
RabJ

United Kingdom 

I have everything off on mine, but still the steering is very stiff to move the small amounts needed to follow motorway curves. I also find there is no self centering action, so if you move the steering to the right or left, thats where it will stays untill you move it back to the centre. Very dangerous I think. never known any other car behave that way, and I've owned many.

Post #642108 Mon May 20 2024 9:28pm
Tizzy

England 

Sounds like a fault then as mine self centres fine

Post #642109 Mon May 20 2024 9:38pm
RabJ

United Kingdom 

It certainly is a fault, but not easy to convince the dealership guys it is. They even tried to pam me off to landerover assist today when I range them. Thats only the AA for breakdowns which I declined to do as once there the problem would be between be and the AA.

Post #642110 Mon May 20 2024 9:54pm
B McP

Scotland 

Went to the dealer today and it will be looked at next Tuesday (I already had a booking for the `Towing Eye'). Apparently there is a recall with some steering racks on the Evoque models but don't know if my issue is the same.

Post #642163 Wed May 22 2024 6:44pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

The steering issue on the Evoque was the failure of the 3 bolts holding the rack motor on. After fleecing owners for new racks, JLR eventually accepted it was a design fault, and as it was a safety issue reluctantly replaced the bolts (and rack if the bolt failure was catastrophic).
I've not heard of the same issue on yours.
I've just had the AA out, who sub contract for LR Assist, to investigate my engine check light. They will put it on a code reader, diagnose the fault (if they can) and email you a report which you can take to your dealer. If it's not safe to drive they will take it to a dealer for fixing and offer you a replacement via someone like Enterprise (you will be liable for an excess, or pay a CDW for damage to their car and expect your insurance to cover 3rd party risks).
I'd be inclined to wait till you get into the dealers and expect them to give you a courtesy car at no cost to you.

Post #642164 Wed May 22 2024 7:09pm
RabJ

United Kingdom 

As my car is brand new and exhibited this fault from day one on the drive home I didn't want any third parties getting in the middle of the issue and confuse things, especially as its not easily diagnosed. They now have it back and I'm driving their Defender demo car. The talk is that they will replace the rack. I have talked to another guy on Facebook who said that's what finally sorted his after months of messing around. The Defender drives and steers like a dream. If only the RR sport could drive as well.

Post #642165 Wed May 22 2024 7:49pm
martinbarnes

United Kingdom 
RR Sport Steering

hi, so we have a 2023 d300. reg 1st September. has rack / column bots replaced, steering rack replaced.
we have steering wheel straight car will vere from lane 3 to 1 without change of steering wheel. then the opposite way. at speed steering wheel very heavy to the point after a while your bicep will be come painful through constantly making adjustments to the steering wheel. we've not had the car for 12 weeks now. rr technical say there is nothing wrong with the car apparently.. so the question is where to go from here ......

Post #643394 Sun Jul 21 2024 8:56pm
RabJ

United Kingdom 

Your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine. My arms were aching after half an hour on the motorway. Keep pushing back and use the "dangerous" word a lot in correspondence. They don't like that as if there was ever an incident on the road you have a paper trail to where you reported the problem and they didn't sort it. There seem to quite a few with similar issues with the owners just accepting that's how they are. I followed another one a few weeks back and could see it jinking from side to side trying to keep in lane which was what I had to do with the steering seemingly cutting power at speed. Mine was eventually sorted by some sort of new software update. It seems a lot better now, if nothing like as pleasant to drive as my previous D300 Defender.

Post #643398 Mon Jul 22 2024 8:57am
martinbarnes

United Kingdom 

They have told me multiple times the updates have been numerous times, jlr confirm that the car should be fine with its handling.

Post #643400 Mon Jul 22 2024 9:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>