RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Oil in Coolant tank - HELP?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

wiztaz

United Kingdom 
Oil in Coolant tank - HELP?

Hi Guys,

Was hoping for some advice from anyone on here who has either had the same issue or som eone who is a bit of a mechanic

I have a 2007 L320 Range Rover Sport 4.2 S/C and I took it in for a service at LRR Range Rover in Charlton, South East London. They discovered fair bit of oil in the coolant tank and stopped the service. They think the engine will need a rebuild and its not somthing they can take on. I took it to a local Garage who did a diagnostic and they dont think it will need a rebuild and dont think the headgasket is cracked as the engine is not overheating and car is driving normal. They suggested the engine oil cooler and the thermostat needs to be replaced. They also found the radiactor leaking so suggested that is also replaced. Coolant flush to remove the oil and also the power steering fluid replaced, Oil/oil filter replaced. They think that should fix the issue.

My worry is that after all that work, which wont be cheap, will be a waste of money if the problem isn't resolved and I have to stil rebuild or replace the engine.

I'm based in East London so any advice or referral to a garage would be miuch appreciated Neutral

Post #621610 Sun Feb 06 2022 3:42pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

From what I know (which isn't very much) and according my LR indy mechanic, the 4.2 SC engines are bulletproof. He even said he had one in once that had lost all it's coolant but the engine was still perfect.

Based on that I think it's unlikely the engine would need a rebuild and your second option sounds like the best one.

However, that's just based on my very limited knowledge so I'm sure someone more mechanically minded will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope you get it sorted. 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #621626 Sun Feb 06 2022 8:48pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I agree.

I suggest you pick up some tools and change it yourself!

Looks like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234387968962?ep...Swgvlh654K

Then change the coolant (orange OAT) a day or so later (or take the oil off the top of the coolant if its minor)

Post #621627 Sun Feb 06 2022 9:12pm
wiztaz

United Kingdom 

Scrumpy wrote:
From what I know (which isn't very much) and according my LR indy mechanic, the 4.2 SC engines are bulletproof. He even said he had one in once that had lost all it's coolant but the engine was still perfect.

Based on that I think it's unlikely the engine would need a rebuild and your second option sounds like the best one.

However, that's just based on my very limited knowledge so I'm sure someone more mechanically minded will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thank you mate

Post #621643 Mon Feb 07 2022 12:45pm
wiztaz

United Kingdom 

Andy K wrote:
I agree.

I suggest you pick up some tools and change it yourself!

Looks like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234387968962?ep...Swgvlh654K

Then change the coolant (orange OAT) a day or so later (or take the oil off the top of the coolant if its minor)

I'm soo not mechnically savvy so I would never attempt that but thanks for the advice Smile

Post #621644 Mon Feb 07 2022 12:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1