RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Engine cut out outside lane on motorway(wife driving)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

savi18

New Zealand 
Engine cut out outside lane on motorway(wife driving)

Only had this RRS for just over 4 weeks and now wife chucked keys at me and said not driving that ever again, (reason) she was doing approx. 105km/65 mph on outside lane of motorway and engine died completely, because she could not pull over as lots of traffic had to stop in outside lane, engine system failure message/DSC and Suspension warning light came on then rang me, I said turn off take key out and try restart, it did and drove home no problems, then she took out Mitsubishi Pajero went shopping and said we are not getting rid of this now stuff the RRS, Any ideas anyone will the fault code be stored in the ECU, I hoped this 2009 RRS 2.7 v6 diesel would last till I retire in 7 years time,

Post #471324 Sat Aug 29 2015 3:47am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Could be many reasons but try the simple things first. When was the fuel filter last changed? A partially blocked filter can cause that. Get the fault codes read - but make sure it is done using a tool that reads Land Rover codes not just the generic codes and by someone who really knows how to interpret the results. Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #471381 Sat Aug 29 2015 7:43pm
savi18

New Zealand 
Re: Engine cut out outside lane on motorway(wife driving)

savi18 wrote:
Only had this RRS for just over 4 weeks and now wife chucked keys at me and said not driving that ever again, (reason) she was doing approx. 105km/65 mph on outside lane of motorway and engine died completely, because she could not pull over as lots of traffic had to stop in outside lane, engine system failure message/DSC and Suspension warning light came on then rang me, I said turn off take key out and try restart, it did and drove home no problems, then she took out Mitsubishi Pajero went shopping and said we are not getting rid of this now stuff the RRS, Any ideas anyone will the fault code be stored in the ECU, I hoped this 2009 RRS 2.7 v6 diesel would last till I retire in 7 years time,

Took the RRS into the local Land Rover Dealer and the verdict was both the EGR valves where shot this was the reason the vehicle cut out, maybe the ECU shut the engine down, told them to do full service as well, further faults, Radiator leaking, all the diff oils where black, auto gearbox fluid almost black, anti-roll bar bushes worn, pollen filter blocked, fuel flap motor seized, rear wiper rubber split, lucky for me I took a mechanical warrantee out 6 weeks ago when I bought it and 5 of the major faults are covered but I have to pay $350 per claim, still not got the RRS back from dealers yet but when spoke to them said I will have to pay approx. $5000 because of the service, flushes, gearbox oils and the excess of the 5 claims, the joys of having a luxury car, NOT TOLD THE WIFE YET,

Post #472300 Mon Sep 07 2015 10:09am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

So the 5000 NZD (to save others doing the conversion, that's ~£2050) is only for a service including driveline and transmission fluids? If that's correct, they are robbing you, and nothing less. That is a simply scandalous price; even at dealer rates, it should be half that, at most. I'm not sure what you can do about it now, but in future, please find a good indy instead. Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #472303 Mon Sep 07 2015 10:47am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Don't you have any consumer protection legislation in NZ?

In the UK if you buy a vehicle from a dealer any faults that occur within 3 months of purchase are the dealer's responsibility; irrespective of any warranty that they sold you.

Would be very surprised if you don't have similar law applicable in NZ. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #472307 Mon Sep 07 2015 11:37am
savi18

New Zealand 

Lost for Words wrote:
So the 5000 NZD (to save others doing the conversion, that's ~£2050) is only for a service including driveline and transmission fluids? If that's correct, they are robbing you, and nothing less. That is a simply scandalous price; even at dealer rates, it should be half that, at most. I'm not sure what you can do about it now, but in future, please find a good indy instead.

That's what the quoted over the phone, the vehicle is still at the Dealers been there over a week now, when I get the car and invoice for work done then I will post the details/cost.
When I first bought the RRS after a week went into the dealers for quote on both cambelts change $2100 or £1100 was the price, then went to Indy there price $2000 or £1000, not much difference there between both, so this is why I went for the dealer to get serviced and mainly to get the engine cutting out sorted,

Post #472648 Thu Sep 10 2015 10:40am
savi18

New Zealand 

Paddi wrote:
Don't you have any consumer protection legislation in NZ?

In the UK if you buy a vehicle from a dealer any faults that occur within 3 months of purchase are the dealer's responsibility; irrespective of any warranty that they sold you.

Would be very surprised if you don't have similar law applicable in NZ.

Bought this on www.trademe.co.nz very good site, its an auction site not from dealers, had a word with one of my mates who runs a car sales yard and he says the faults are mainly service items that have been neglected during the past service intervals, if it was say the engine/gearbox or rear diff then yes I would have a case, still I will look into more this weekend,

Post #472650 Thu Sep 10 2015 10:52am
savi18

New Zealand 
Re: Engine cut out outside lane on motorway(wife driving)

savi18 wrote:

Still having problems of losing power, has lost power around 12 times since owning this car, firstly the dealers did a full service and replaced both the EGR valves, complete drivetrain oil and fluid change, lasted 2 days and lost power, back to dealers they said battery not 100% so replaced battery(Alternator new by previous owner) then they said low pressure pump faulty in tank, they removed tank cleaned fitted new pump and fuel filter and added fresh diesel, following day lost power again around 5 times on the motorway, when I pull over the engines revs ok but when engage gears on the auto box no drive what so ever, I can hear a very little clunk when putting into gear, the 12 times it has cutout the transmission has not engaged once, turn of engine restart and then all good for a few days, the message centre reads Transmission Failure/ engine system failure and F , plus the warning lights as well, could the brake switch cause this, up to now the bills are close to £6,000 or $10,000 and problem not cured, any ideas please,

Post #481842 Mon Dec 07 2015 9:49am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

We need fault codes etc. to get anywhere further. The brake switch is a possibility - very easy to change so I suggest you do this as a matter of course (possibly the brake light bulbs too - ensuring they're high quality ones). Thumbs Up

You really need to find a good indy that is not going to continue to play parts darts like the dealer. If they keep failing to accurately diagnose the issue, they need to foot the bill for the wrong parts. Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #481845 Mon Dec 07 2015 10:39am
TubaPlayer

United Kingdom 

We had a similar issue with a car (not RR) and various garages looked at it and seemed to fix it (usually until I picked the car up and the fault miraculously reappeared!) it had new injectors and all sorts of expensive parts. In the end it was the fuel filter housing letting air in and this was causing the loss of power and then throwing out strange fault codes. 2016 Black SDV8 Autobiography
2013 Grey Black Edition SDV6 (lasted a while but gone now)
2005 Grey Supercharged Sport (gone but never forgotten)

Post #481851 Mon Dec 07 2015 11:25am
savi18

New Zealand 

Lost for Words wrote:
We need fault codes etc. to get anywhere further. The brake switch is a possibility - very easy to change so I suggest you do this as a matter of course (possibly the brake light bulbs too - ensuring they're high quality ones). Thumbs Up

You really need to find a good indy that is not going to continue to play parts darts like the dealer. If they keep failing to accurately diagnose the issue, they need to foot the bill for the wrong parts.

Wanted to use our local Indy but because of the mechanical warrantee we have for next two years the insurance company told us to use the Land Rover Dealer's. 3/4 of the bills have been paid for by these . but still £5000 has been spent and fault not cured . one thing to point out though is the first week we had it we had electronic brake controller and dedicated tow wiring loom fitted by auto electrician. Is it possible this may have something to do with losing power .

Post #481880 Mon Dec 07 2015 6:45pm
savi18

New Zealand 

Lost for Words wrote:

You really need to find a good indy that is not going to continue to play parts darts like the dealer. If they keep failing to accurately diagnose the issue, they need to foot the bill for the wrong parts.

Just changed the brake light switch £64 for the part from dealer's and when pressing the plunger on the old switch its crunchy feel's like rubbing you nail on a file . the new switch does not do this . looks like the switch could have caused the loss of power. Now only time will tell

Post #482278 Sat Dec 12 2015 9:00pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

£64!!!! I'm sure they're only £15 over here.... Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #482279 Sat Dec 12 2015 9:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
savi18

New Zealand 

Yep that's the price $128 or £64 was going to get one from UK but needed to get this sorted for Xmas as towing heavy caravan

Post #482280 Sat Dec 12 2015 9:06pm
savi18

New Zealand 

After changing the brake light switch ages ago its almost cured the losing power, drove the sport around 4 months no problem, a couple of time over the last few weeks its done the same thing as losing drive but dont get all the lights on the dash lighting up, now it just the warning book, what i want to now is change the brake light bulbs to genuine ones but the dealer does not have any genuine ones in stock, says a have to get them from UK. have looked on previous post for part numbers but no luck, can anyone help, even better if LED one available which are CanBus free, did find a site on the forums but out of stock, Cheers

Post #501022 Sun Jul 17 2016 2:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>