RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Leeds or Yorkshire based EGR blanking and remapping contact?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Jaggs

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

+1 for the intercooler pipe sounds like mine a couple of weeks ago Nanocom Evo

Post #500521 Sun Jul 10 2016 3:50pm
johnb8538

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Regards "split turbo hose" and "Intercooler pipe" can anyone give me some direction where to look. As I understand it the turbos are at the back of the engine bay low down but what exactly am I looking for, would it be blindingly obvious if I was in the pit and the undershields were all off with the car running?

I replaced a hydraulic fluid pipe running from the ARB box to the junction at the back three weeks ago and there was nothing blindingly obvious blowing at that stage. I was careful not to dislodge anything else. It was a week after that that the issue began, chugging badly and chucking out white smoke which has now settled into regular black smoke.

If I can get it over a friends pit before Wednesday can someone give me an "idiot guide" what to look for before I shell out a small fortune for no reason?

Post #500534 Sun Jul 10 2016 5:56pm
Jaggs

Have a look at this link
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic43182....ooler+hose
The bottom comes out in drivers wheel arch behind a removable panel, no pit needed
Genuine landrover part about £45 I had it supplied and fitted for £80 at a local Indy in Leeds but don't think it's too difficult to do your self
The split may not be as obvious as the one in the link Nanocom Evo

Post #500537 Sun Jul 10 2016 6:26pm
johnb8538

Thank you Jaggs. Nothing as obvious as that I'm afraid.

I also tried to trace it down the back of the drivers wheel arch but its getting dark now and with the engine running there is no "obvious noise" suggesting a split.

HOWEVER... I've been on a twenty mile round trip this evening that was godawful as usual, poor acceleration/ feint white smoke then clear then cloud of back when trying to gather speed and there's a lunge of the engine forward, and nearing home the engine started sounding very loud and throaty even inside the cab. I easily could have passed for a drag racer with that note coming out but it certainly goes with your theory a damn pipe is loose somewhere.

When the trouble started two weeks ago I noticed that a few pipes all over the engine top had some carbon deposits but there was no obvious leakage. I washed it all down hoping for some clue showing up after a few days but even tonight the entire top engine even under the v8 cover is dry and soot free.

Maybe Wednesday will solve this.

Post #500551 Sun Jul 10 2016 9:32pm
Jaggs

Good luck hopefully something simple, great cars but keep you on your toes Nanocom Evo

Post #500552 Sun Jul 10 2016 9:44pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Try taking the pipes off, and inspecting. Sometimes they split on the underside, and can't easily be seen Thumbs Up

Post #500562 Mon Jul 11 2016 6:17am
Disco_Mikey

Jaggs wrote:
Have a look at this link
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic43182....ooler+hose
The bottom comes out in drivers wheel arch behind a removable panel, no pit needed
Genuine landrover part about £45 I had it supplied and fitted for £80 at a local Indy in Leeds but don't think it's too difficult to do your self
The split may not be as obvious as the one in the link

That link is to the V6, so your hoses will look nothing like that Thumbs Up

You will have 2 coming from the top of the Intercooler, turn around the fan cowling, and into the middle of the engine

You can make out the OS hose in the picture, the NS hiding under the coolant pipe Thumbs Up

Post #500563 Mon Jul 11 2016 6:20am
johnb8538

Thanks Mikey. After watching a YouTube full fat RR video I checked those middle two pipes first. Totally off, cleaned and no obvious issue. Just checked again and seen ok with no carbon deposits in any of the surrounding area.

Post #500608 Mon Jul 11 2016 8:06pm
Olly-ibiza

It could be leak on the intercooler or the bottom feed hoses to the intercooler or you could be really lucky like me and have to replace your rocker covers spiteful Range Rover Sport tdv8

Post #500627 Mon Jul 11 2016 10:15pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Nicky at WVS is a friend of mine & he is good at remapping,he did my merc sprinter & I was well happy with it,but I wouldn't let him do my sport as he only has the rolling road for 2 wheel drive.he is ok with sprinters/transporters etc but I don't think he has done any RangeRovers.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #500628 Mon Jul 11 2016 10:28pm
johnb8538

Ok a little feedback from the tuning company I’m booked in with. There is no intention to discredit anyone I’m just listing this information for others with a similar issue.

When I first called last weekend the chap was busy and struggled to find my car model on whatever system he was checking. He knew it was there just couldn’t find it.
Yesterday I had a similar call and was asked to confirm I really did have a TDV8. (?)
Just now I have been advised that although they could do it they couldn’t guarantee it wouldn’t cause any issues or throw the EML back on again as no one has managed it successfully yet with a TDV8 2010. They are aware others claim to have been successful but the company is still in a testing stage with that model. To be fair they clearly weren’t trying to take my money and run which I really appreciated but the alternative was two new valves plus parts and labour circa £900.
It could be something less and they are still willing to look at it or do the whole replacement once a diagnostic is completed again tomorrow.

Post #500656 Tue Jul 12 2016 1:36pm
Olly-ibiza

I got genuine egr valves for mine for 190quid each, took about 2 hours to fit spiteful Range Rover Sport tdv8

Post #500657 Tue Jul 12 2016 1:42pm
johnb8538

Before tomorrow morning I decided to give it one last proper effort to source any daft hoses loose or split as others have suggested so after work I headed to my relatives house to put th'e beast over the pit. In a final act of embarrassment the car would go no faster than 25 miles per hour foot to the floor (Im deadly serious!) for the three miles across town. Cars honked and beeped whilst I shrunk into my seat with embarrassment, a passing Audi driver slowed down to shout, "Hey pal , have you seen the smoke pouring out of your exhaust" and I simply nodded.

Ok. So all the under shields came off and we revved it to see any visible leak. Poked and prodded every accessible hose we could without removal (idiot style-touch a pipe -ow that's hot, is it loose, is it brittle, is it dirty, does anything happen when you squeeze it, multipled by about fifty times) and once more reviewed all the top hoses which still showed absolutely nothing. Took the entire air box off and sprayed loads of carbon cleaner spray into the intakes which give the exhaust pipes an amusing wobble until the black smoke cleared again on the drivers hand side culprit exhaust. Repeat and rinse a few more times etc... There was one back hose at the rear of the engine on top and it had an oily carbony residue. So I tried to tighten the two clips and they tightened easier than expected, a good five turns each. Strange.

Everything replaced, code reader asked to reset codes to clear the EML and RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE and then car restarted..... No EML light, good, damn, the RESTRCTED triangle came on but the engine sounded pretty ok. A few revs of black smoke then clear and a much better sounding engine. Now normally once driving off the EML light would kick in so a quick trip round the block and all still ok-ish. Still felt like it was holding back a bit but nothing like earlier. So on the way home I did a 10 Mile M62 detour.

Slight hesitation pulling into traffic but accelerating ok, steady awy up to fifty and before you know it yep 90 (Whoops) Back to 70 cruise control on and it went through its automatic GAP assessment no problem. Pulled into urban traffic and acceleration was lovely, not like it was before all this nonsense but certainly better.

Let it cool down for an hour then went back out for another try, EML on straight away (!?**!) and we are back to poor acceleration, a "winding up" noise before it lurches into maniac mode approaching the nearest roundabout.

So its either keep cleaning with carbon cleaner and see if it cleans it bit by bit, or remove the EGR's myself (tricky but not impossible) and decide whether to clean or replace them. Any thoughts before I go into the tuning den tomorrow and get persuaded to part with my hard earned cash?

Post #500697 Tue Jul 12 2016 9:57pm
johnb8538

Olly-ibiza wrote:
I got genuine egr valves for mine for 190quid each, took about 2 hours to fit

Can you tell me where you got the genuine values at that price please?

Post #500707 Tue Jul 12 2016 10:52pm
Disco_Mikey

No amount of spray will repair the bearings that have disintegrated...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Replace the valves and be done with it...

Post #500708 Tue Jul 12 2016 10:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>