RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > So what have they changed in 2 years?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mikef

United Kingdom 
So what have they changed in 2 years?

I took delivery of my HSE SDV6 in Nov 2014 and I'm thinking about ordering a new one for delivery in early 2017. So what will have changed in those 2 and a bit years? The things that really bug me about my current RRS are the slow throttle response from step off and the medieval infotainment system. Have these been improved? Is it worth hanging on longer for some more significant upgrades?

Post #495699 Wed May 11 2016 10:21pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

They had better redesign the folding of seats and the poor quality of the rear seats, and offer more room in the load area like the previous model had, or they will find themselves loosing sales of RRS. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #495701 Wed May 11 2016 10:26pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

From memory:

1. The SDV6 is now 306 BHP. Nov 2014 would have been 292 I believe.
2. Euro 6b compliance and introduction of adblue.
3. Seat heating/cooling can now be controlled using dials on centre console in addition to the screen.
4. Rear reversing camera got a washer.
5. Updated KVM to restrict key cloning.
6. InControl Secure Thatcham cat 6 tracking device became standard.
7. InControl Apps (rubbish), InControl Remote and Wifi became standard but not sure whether for all variants.
8. Price went up Laughing Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #495711 Wed May 11 2016 11:00pm
DrFox1969

Australia 

Plus:-

Heads Up Display
Auto access mode for air suspension

No doubt the standard equipment levels will have changed, depending on the trim level you choose. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #495725 Thu May 12 2016 5:21am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all replies. Is the power increase noticeable? Seat heating/cooling controls on centre console and reverse camera wash are certainly worth having

Post #495911 Fri May 13 2016 10:22pm
Autobiography

If it helps my 16.5MY SDV6 feels quicker than my 15.5MY SDV8 L405.

I had a 16MY SDV6 Sport which had some pretty noticeable lag. The 16.5MY seems to have reduced this.

Post #495941 Sat May 14 2016 7:23am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I had a 16MY SDV6 Sport which had some pretty noticeable lag. The 16.5MY seems to have reduced this.

Thats certainly worth having

Post #495983 Sat May 14 2016 3:50pm
Dave777

United Kingdom 

So is this lag a gearbox or engine issue and if it is reduced on 16.5MY then can the software be applied to others? MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #496154 Sun May 15 2016 11:08pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
So is this lag a gearbox or engine issue

FWIW I don't think its either although I experienced the same characteristics in one of my previous cars, an Audi A8 4.2Tdi with a similar ZF 8 speed gearbox. That Audi engine was a V8 and certainly didn't lack for low down torque but there was still the same kind of frustrating lag in throttle response, particularly when rolling up to a roundabout, that I get in my RRS. Personally I think its a combination of the gearbox which is programmed to stay in as high a gear as possible, presumably for economy reasons, and a deliberate lag programmed into the electronic throttle response which you can feel at pretty much any rpm. There is always a delay between pressing the accelerator pedal and a response from the engine even if the gearbox is in manual mode. I don't know whether this is to protect the transmission or to protect L-R from lawsuits filed by idiot Americans with lead boots or some other reason but again FWIW I think L-R could easily dial this lag out with some software changes to the throttle response program should they choose to do so

Post #496168 Mon May 16 2016 9:38am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In the early days of RRS L320 IIRC one way to overcome the lag was to engage Sand Mode in the TR system, this used to have a form of launch control programmed into it BUT TR has been through so many re-writes and upgrades I don't know if it is still possible to overcome the lag (I have never really noticed it on any of the 3 RRS's that I have owned nor in the 2 L322 FFRR's, maybe over the years my driving technique has matured and got so used to it that I don't notice it). 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #496171 Mon May 16 2016 10:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I have never really noticed it on any of the 3 RRS's that I have owned nor in the 2 L322 FFRR's

It wasn't an issue on my L322 either so its something that manufacturers dial into their current set ups. I've noticed the same thing with modern Mercs as well. Having said that, my wife's X3 doesn't have anywhere near the same kind of throttle response lag as my L494 despite having a weedy 2.0 diesel engine. As I say, I think its a characteristic manufacturers can tweak should they wish. After all we weren't talking about this issue when accelerator pedals were connected to the engine by cable

Post #496175 Mon May 16 2016 10:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1