RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 4.4L V8 Lion diesel - going or staying?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

wilf

4.4L V8 Lion diesel - going or staying?

Wonder what the future holds for this powerplant?

Will it fall prey to the ending of the Ford engine supply deal too? After all it is made in Mexico not Bridgend.

If it does go, will the new Ingenium Inline 6 range have an equivalent? After all, BMW are very good at extracting differing power outputs from their 6 cylinder diesels. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #495454 Mon May 09 2016 10:58am
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

I think it will go eventually, and Ingenium talking over. I've read about BMWs new inline 6 with Quad turbo (not sure how it would impact reliability) and also as Ingenium is designed modular could have a 4L V/I 8 Engine.
I am keen to see LR replacing the Hydraulic Dynamic Anti Roll bar with electric version of it, Bentley and Audi have started to use it.

Post #495455 Mon May 09 2016 11:08am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Land Rover already use an oleo-magnetic damper system in Disco Sport (it is an option) and Evoque Dynamic (Prestiges can be ordered with it as an option too) has had it now since 2011, it is as good as the RRS system (it was called magna-ride) although I found that rippled concrete road surfaces totally confused it. There was a very noticeable difference in the Evoque Dynamic between "normal" (still using magna ride) and Dynamic which adjusted the suspension and steering when the Dynamic button was pushed. There was also a very noticeable reducing of roll when an Evoque Prestige with the optional Magnaride was driven side by side with one that had the standard coil suspension even without the Dynamic button pressed. How it would handle something as heavy and high as the RRS or air suspension I don't know but I'm sure it won't be beyond an man with a laptop!

I've also heard rumours that LR have been experimenting with a V format "Ingenium" engine................... There is a fair bit of demand for a small V engine for Evoque but none of the current ones will fit under the bonnet. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #495459 Mon May 09 2016 11:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

One doesn't actually need an anti roll bar, in the traditional sense. McLaren use a hydraulic linking system in their road cars instead. If LR did something similar then they could have good on road roll resistance with excellent articulation offroad.

Would seem to be a better idea and could, I guess, allow for other clever suspension modes - hydraulic ride height changes perhaps? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #495464 Mon May 09 2016 12:47pm
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

That sounds great to drop the anti roll device completely and get the dampers at each corner to push and pull to reduce the body roll. Maybe we should start designing the next gen RRS. Smile

Tim, that's interesting that magna rides could actually reduce the body roll as well.

Post #495545 Tue May 10 2016 10:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1