RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Air Compressor - air lines stuck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

robmeister1969

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
Air Compressor - air lines stuck

I wonder if anyone can advise me. I am removing my air compressor as I have the warning light coming on after about 30 seconds. I've bought a couple of the LR refurb kits (valve springs and seals) and I'll change the silica beads as they are looking powdery. There are 3 pipes to be removed to disconnect the compressor from the car. The small pipe with the blue connector was easy enough however I could not get the air pipes off so have cut them close to the join and hopefully there will be enough give to reconnect. The connectors appear to be brass and my understanding is you should push in the collar and pull off the pipe. I've soaked it in WD40 and my brass connectors are not budging. I've used a 10mm spanner to give a little better leverage and a pair of pliers. One of the collars has broken away. Any ideas as to how to remove these little feckers? Also are the brass connectors replaceable and if so what should I google? ta.

Picture of the offenders in my gallery.

Post #392122 Sun Aug 18 2013 5:03pm
flack

No you can't get the brass collars, what you should have done is cut the pipes away from the connections and then re-join them with quick fit push on joints. You don't need the brass fittings if you get some new pipe and quick fit connectors as the new pipe is fine without the fittings.

I have done a few pumps with theses kits and they do not seem to last long also you need to undo parts of the pump to change he seals and these might also snap or strip..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #392132 Sun Aug 18 2013 7:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robmeister1969

You're absolutely right Flack.

I'd ordered some very small jubilee clips as I'd managed to strip the rubber hose from the brass connectors which was very long and tedious. However, going on to refurb the compressor, I could not budge the 17mm nut that contains the valve. I have a vice in the garage and managed to lock it in that and with quite a lot of force loosened the nut only to find it stiffened up again before coming off. Part of the thread has just 'fallen away'. Without being able to source some very specific parts which is unlikely, I think I now need to scrap this and upgrade to the new AMK compressor.

I've seen a lot of threads that talk about the job being relatively straightforward which I guess it is provided you can dismantle the compressor and refurb it without the issues i've had. The silicon beads in my dryer are quite powdery and I suspect that is the main problem and quite straightforward to sort.

Now I need to replace the compressor and decide do I try and do the AML myself although I can't do the software upgrade. I've found somewhere that does the AMK, plus relay plus s/ware for £500 which seems reasonable. The irony is I've lived with the suspension amber light for about 12 months and now have to spend a few quid!!

Post #392133 Sun Aug 18 2013 7:49pm
SCdavies

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver

You may not need to do the software upgrade. Just replaced my compressor on my 55 plate. I did nt have to and all works well. £500 seems the norm.

Post #392134 Sun Aug 18 2013 7:55pm
flack

Yes the software is not a given as I have done a few RRS who when upgraded the software they spit there dummy out and did not like the new software. Change the pump and try it with the old software first it should be ok.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #392142 Sun Aug 18 2013 9:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robmeister1969

Thanks for guidance both.

RR London are advertising £495 online for "Air Suspension Compressor Discovery 3 4 Range Rover Sport Supply And Fit. Upgraded air suspension compressor and software."

So do you think I'm better off not upgrading the software and doing it myself?

In this case, I save about £30, avoid a 30 mile drive in to London in 'off road' suspension plus (hopefully) have the satisfaction of doing the job myself.

Alternatively, I get it done by the professional and if there are software niggles that need sorting out, the garage could take care of them?

Post #392149 Mon Aug 19 2013 6:57am
flack

robmeister1969 wrote:
Thanks for guidance both.

RR London are advertising £495 online for "Air Suspension Compressor Discovery 3 4 Range Rover Sport Supply And Fit. Upgraded air suspension compressor and software."

So do you think I'm better off not upgrading the software and doing it myself?

In this case, I save about £30, avoid a 30 mile drive in to London in 'off road' suspension plus (hopefully) have the satisfaction of doing the job myself.

Alternatively, I get it done by the professional and if there are software niggles that need sorting out, the garage could take care of them?

Thats your decision if you feel comfortable in doing it that way then go for it..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #392154 Mon Aug 19 2013 9:11am
SCdavies

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver

thats a good price for a drive in and out service. LR wanted £150 just for the software!!! also at the garage you can throw it back at them if it does nt work.

Post #392166 Mon Aug 19 2013 11:00am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Just wondered if you've spotted Disco Mikey's excellent step-by-step guide to fitting the AMK compressor here: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post358187.html#358187

Go on - fit it yourself Twisted Evil

...and then get an Indie or one of the mobile site sponosor's to just update the software. Can't beat that feeling of achievement of finishing a tricky job. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #392170 Mon Aug 19 2013 11:37am
robmeister1969

SCdavies - I agree with you - it's a very good price and I spoke to them yesterday to confirm it's the latest AMK and they came across as very helpful. I've got a flexible slot to bring it in today and will post how I get on.

Paddi - I agree with your sentiment! I fixed the cabriolet roof on my girlfriends Audi last year for £85 whereas Audi had quoted £1,700! I'd said to her on Sunday that I was so disappointed that I could't refurb the old Hitachi compressor (the valve nut has sheared), as I knew i was going to miss that personal satisfaction. I thought I had found a new AMK compressor yesterday for £350 in which case I would definitely do it myself - it's relatively straight forward now that I have the old one off - but given that I'm only paying an additional £35 (inc s/w) than I can buy a new one, I think I have to do it that way. I'll also ask them to diagnose the other faults - non-functioning AFS and erratic ACC!

Cheers!

PS And to give credit to Disco Mikey - excellent write-up indeed

Post #392294 Tue Aug 20 2013 8:59am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

That's fair enough.
Hope it works out well Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #392305 Tue Aug 20 2013 11:40am
H16UUP

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

Reassured to see I'm not the only one that had a sheared valve nut on the old Hitachi!

When you put the AMK on, it really is very easy. Just read Mikey's guide. It's all there. Cut the pipes off the old Hitachi as close as you can to the compressor. Also ensure they are not rubbing on park brake cable when vehicle lowered to the ground again & brake on or off. I zip-tied them together to keep them away from it, just in case.

Easy job. Go for it Thumbs Up 2006 TDV6 SE, Zermatt Silver

Post #392356 Wed Aug 21 2013 12:18am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

robmeister1969 wrote:
PS And to give credit to Disco Mikey - excellent write-up indeed

Why thank you Very Happy

Replacing the compressor is very straight forward. Though, at £500 supply and fit, its a bargain compared to what LR want for the compressor alone Thumbs Up

Post #392359 Wed Aug 21 2013 6:25am
robmeister1969

Got it done yesterday at RR London in Battersea for £495 including brand new AMK (they opened the box to show me it), relay and software. As I I understand, the two main guys, Ross and Conrad trained with LR locally before setting up on their own. Very helpful and courteous. Conrad spent a lot of time taking a look at the AFS issue with the diagnostic connected. They are a little distance from me,but I will use again and highly recommend. I had contacted Duckworths and the price of the compressor has gone up considerably so I don't know how long RR will be able to hold this price once they've gone through their stock. Thumbs Up

Post #392364 Wed Aug 21 2013 7:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1