RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > About to buy - what to look out for....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Billyjoel

United Kingdom 
About to buy - what to look out for....

Hi All

Im sure that this question has been posed plenty of times before but i am not an owner at the moment although should be in the next fortnight!

This will be my first RRS and i am looking at a 2005/2006 4.2 Supercharged, there are two that i am viewing this weekend, one at around 60,000 miles and the other at 45,000. Both vehicles have FSH and the pics show them in really good condition but is there anything with this age/milage vehicle that i should be looking out for specifically??

I bow to your superior knowledge.....

Thanks for all help

Cheers

Post #349621 Tue Jul 03 2012 10:23am
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Hi and welcome Thumbs Up

The most common faults are suspension linked, so look for HDC (special programs off) faults on the dash when adjusting the ride height..
It's reasonable to expect a 2005/6 car to go from access to normal to off road height a couple of times before flashing up a "slow vehicle height adjustment" errors... so give it a go...if it fails 1st time, of flashes up an HDC error then walk away.

Gearbox, check for lumpy/harsh changedowns, this could suggest a gearbox flush is needed and it isn't cheap (£500 upwards)

Check the adaptive bulbs are level (not pointing down) on the dipped beam lens.

I'm sure there are more but there are a few to get you going!

Thumbs Up RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Last edited by awd man on Tue Jul 03 2012 11:11am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #349623 Tue Jul 03 2012 10:34am
Toni Timis

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Drive it first as long as the owner allows you.

If posible, take it to a garage and have a check on it (you must pay for it).

Rent it for a week, better spend £500 than to spend £5000 for bills.

Sell your TV, laptop......ect, and buy a newer one Very Happy !!! RRS TDV8 !!!

Post #349626 Tue Jul 03 2012 11:08am
Mozilla

United Kingdom 

check out one of my old posts, I wrote a checklist/review off what to look out for and other members added their stuff..

Post #349646 Tue Jul 03 2012 12:08pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

See here http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic27122.html
Thumbs Up

Post #349812 Wed Jul 04 2012 7:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

There are four things you need to consider:
1. a decent warranty
2. a decent warranty
3. a decent warranty
4. a full service history - in order to get a warranty.

Seriously, when things go awry with these beasts the bills can get big very quickly.

So far in my first year of ownership, my 57 plate TDV8 has had a new anti roll bar bush and a new alternator and will be back in for a new starter motor and a new rear dynamic response anti-roll bar. That's about £2200 of work at a LR garage - perhaps less at a decent indie if you have one nearby. All covered by the warranty so that's ok but I'd be crying otherwise. The LR approved warranty is available up to 5 years old and less than 75k miles for about £850. Older than that and you get a lesser warranty for about £650 but the claim limit is £3k.

If you buy from other than a LR dealer, it might be worth paying for the car to be inspected by one. Also check that it has had any necessary recall work done.

Suspension issues are common as they're heavy vehicles and can cover the ground at serious speed with little effort. Large wheels are sometimes cited as contributing to the suspension suffering.

Check that everything works. Check that everything is in it that should be e.g. tow bar and towing electrics if that's what you need (can be added later), spare wheels are easily (and often) stolen so make sure it's there. If it has aftermarket wheels, then you might want to check their loading ability - some are suspected of being of poor quality/ low loading capacity. Likewise the tyres - I've seen plenty on cheap tyres. If the previous owner has put cheap rubber on then maybe other issues haven't been dealt with either in order to save money - who puts cheap tyres on a 2.5 tonne high performance vehicle other than a penny-pincher?

This forum is full of info relating to well known problems. Well worth a trawl through it over a couple of evenings prior to setting your heart on a particular vehicle. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #349836 Wed Jul 04 2012 10:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1