RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > MY10 S/C The First 24 Hours
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ngins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
MY10 S/C The First 24 Hours

Well, thanks to all of the comments and feedback from you all prior to my purchase. I now have a new-second-hand RRS S/C MY10, so thought I would post my thoughts after first 24 hours. Bear in mind that I came from a 2005 Porsche 911 C2S and deliberately wanted something different. SO I am very aware these are different tools, for different jobs and from different release cycles in terms of tech etc, but it’s interesting to see the comparison:
- Fuel, been driving too quickly everywhere only 500 miles in first 24 hours but still managing 20mpg so I am pleasantly surprised - though I was going to need to tow a bowser!

- Its BIG (compared to the Porker anyway!) and it’s obscenely quick for its size.

- Adaptive cruise – getting used to it, it definitely is strict about the gap and slams on the anchors if someone pops into a space that isn’t really there (as people always do on the motorway)

- Surround cameras are not just a gimmick (in my view) work really well for parking in very tight spaces and avoiding kerbed alloys, will probably use them less as I get used to the size of the thing but for now very handy, and make the car fit into spaces I would otherwise have worried about initially.

- Comfy - really great, on a par with any luxury saloon I have driven, if not better (form a driver perspective anyway!)

- iPod Audio. Not sure if my connecter is loose/broken – it looks ok, (I am also using an iPhone rather than iPod) but have had a few issues with it only producing sounds out of 1 set of speakers, or having distortion, or coming up with repeated device errors. All seem to clear after a stop start but not sure what the issue is yet, no biggie at the moment though and it’s really convenient. A longer lead might be useful so I’ll look for one.

- iPhone Bluetooth. Works much better than I expected, some issues with my 2500 plus contacts, each with multiple numbers but I didn’t realistically expect it to handle that, have posted in the separate BT thread about this and will see what solutions anyone has or will think of something myself!

- Dynamic Ride – Mode always seems to revert to ‘normal’, I assumed Dynamic would be the default setting for on-road, or the car would remember last setting, need to check up on it

- Logic 7. Very Very good, still fine tuning it, not sure if it is as good as the Bose in the Porsche, at the moment I think it is as good, but in a different way, think the size of the car rather than the stereo itself probably affects the sound the most and I suspect the Logic is overall more powerful

- Nav. Mixed bag. It seems a very capable systems and I need to learn it more. TMC reception seems a bit iffy with no reception even when strong signal on ClassicFM (I know I don’t need to be tuned to Classic but It seemed a reasonable test that if there was full signal on the radio then TMC should work). Porsche always seemed to work and I cannot ever remember it showing out of TMC reception. I am struggling to see how to get TMC alerts on the map without a route programmed in; I haven’t worked out the ideal scale for it yet either. Porsche TMC used to track the map as did older BMW systems regardless of any route. However to be fair, as far as I can tell ALL the new generation of DVD based sat nav I have seen (including Porsche/BMW etc that used to do it) seem to have lost this nice feature where TMC is shown for the map page currently on the screen without a route programmed. Probably just needs more effort on my part.

- Driver Info Display. Again I am probably doing something wrong but seems like a missed opportunity at the moment. In the Porsche there was a smaller repeat of key functions such as radio/cd/Aux status/Next Nav direction etc., which meant you didn’t need to look at the central console. There seems to be enough space for this on the RRS but I can see reference to it. It seems a bit distracting (even with steering wheel controls) to look at the colour screen.

- Over speed indicator, trying to find a way to make it bleep – loudly 
In short, I love it. I miss the 911, but nowhere near as much as I thought I would (and it is only the first 24 hours)!
Will post a pic when I work out how and will come back an update after I have been living with my new toy for a bit longer!

MY2010 RRS 5.0 S/C Santorini Black, 5 Spoke Diamond Turned Alloys, Privacy, Logic7, iPod, Cameras

Last edited by ngins on Wed Jun 16 2010 7:11pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #268737 Wed Jun 16 2010 6:32pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

Laughing Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #268739 Wed Jun 16 2010 6:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green
Re: MY10 S/C The First 24 Hours

ngins wrote:

- Adaptive cruise – getting used to it, it definitely is strict about the gap and slams on the anchors if someone pops into a space that isn’t really there (as people always do on the motorway)

Congratulations! Sounds like a lovely car. Was it an ex-demo? Have you really done 500 miles in the first 24 hours? The Adaptive cruise takes a bit of getting used to, and you probably know but you can adjust the distance between 1 and 4. Its quite funny to put it in tail gate mode! I really like it now but wish you could just switch back to normal cruise control occasionally.

ngins wrote:

- iPod Audio. Not sure if my connecter is loose/broken – it looks ok, (I am also using an iPhone rather than iPod) but have had a few issues with it only producing sounds out of 1 set of speakers, or having distortion, or coming up with repeated device errors.

I've never had any problems with an ipod or iphone so it sounds like the lead or connector is faulty.

ngins wrote:

- Dynamic Ride – Mode always seems to revert to ‘normal’, I assumed Dynamic would be the default setting for on-road, or the car would remember last setting, need to check up on it

I never really notice a difference between dynamic and normal. I do find it strange that the cruise control doesn't work in dynamic mode which is another reason I rarely use it.

ngins wrote:

- Nav. Mixed bag. It seems a very capable systems and I need to learn it more. TMC reception seems a bit iffy with no reception even when strong signal on ClassicFM (I know I don’t need to be tuned to Classic but It seemed a reasonable test that if there was full signal on the radio then TMC should work). Porsche always seemed to work and I cannot ever remember it showing out of TMC reception. I am struggling to see how to get TMC alerts on the map without a route programmed in; I haven’t worked out the ideal scale for it yet either. Porsche TMC used to track the map as did older BMW systems regardless of any route.

I've never known the TMC being out of signal except when in a tunnel or multi-story car park so that's strange. You can call up traffic by road but it doesn't show it on the map. You can set surveillance areas too. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #268742 Wed Jun 16 2010 9:35pm
ngins

thanks for the info, I am still playing with the toys and your tips are useful. I havent 'tried tailgate mode' yet, I'll add it to the list Smile MY2010 RRS 5.0 S/C Santorini Black, 5 Spoke Diamond Turned Alloys, Privacy, Logic7, iPod, Cameras

Post #268759 Thu Jun 17 2010 8:08am
Vadim

Hmm.... Question WHat is a tailgate mode? Vadim A.

Post #272239 Tue Jul 27 2010 2:48am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Tailgate mode is what non adaptive cruise RRS's do, but the driver also has to be under 30 and been the driver of a BMW 318 coupe tarted up to look like an M3 before it will work Mr. Green

One thing you don't seem to have tried yet is to compare your RRS with is the offroad ability of the Porsche ....................... I think you might be surprised to find the RRS is miles better at that and just wait until the first snowflake falls......................... you can then look down on all the 2WD Porsches spinning their rear tyre treads away trying to get grip! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #272261 Tue Jul 27 2010 9:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ngins

true - no snow yet - to be fair the porsche always seemed keen to try offroad, by way of trying to throw itself off rear end first at every corner when wet especially with leaves involved), but that was part of the charm! MY2010 RRS 5.0 S/C Santorini Black, 5 Spoke Diamond Turned Alloys, Privacy, Logic7, iPod, Cameras

Post #272279 Tue Jul 27 2010 10:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1